Everything died

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baylock

Reaction score
Hi all, so here is something that happened that i thought was worth sharing.
After taking the ute for a short spin around town, i went to hop back in to go to the shops and i heard what sounded like a pretty big pop, then there was nothing....
and i mean nothing, no lights, no dash, all dials retreated to zero, and i thought to my self... "Oh crap.... what now?, it was such a good day"

Well, after an inspection of all fuses, none of them were blown, so i made some phone calls to family and friends, that got me looking at ground wires.

I wiggled them, and they all seemed firm, and in good condition, so i had to figure out a way to test the theory without pulling everything apart.
First thing i did was put the multimeter on the battery, and various parts of the body / motor, and there was no power flow. The next thing i needed to know was, is it really the earth and how can i test this??
then i had a stroke of genius:
I took a jumper lead, hooked one end up to the negative of the battery, and the other to a lump of metal on the engine, and low and behold, everything started working again :), removed the lead, and everything still worked (Or so i thought). Another crack at starting the ute, and a few rather loud relay ticks later, still nothing, so i did a proper inspection of the ground wires. Turns out there is a layer of paint between the wires, and where they connect to the body, so i have sandpapered off the area for better contact, and hit everything with contact cleaner... all working good again :)

Just thought i would share that in-case it come in handy for someone.

Back