engel issue

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heata

Reaction score
I was given an old engel fridge today, because it supposedly wasn't working... I bring it home plug it in to the 240 volt, and instant hummmm and its ice cold about 20mins later.
so I plug it into the 12v, but no luck. I test the plug and there is power there, (no multi meter, so I dont know how much power)
As I see it, it can be only be the 12 cord (which looks pretty tired), or the socket on the fridge, where the 12v plugs in.
any other ideas?
There is a engel service centre nearby, but I think I'll get a cord first and see how that goes.

I dont know jack shit about them, but there is only one motor that is powered 2 ways (12v and 240v), so I am assuming there must be a transformer that either reduces or increases voltage to suit the motor, thats the first place I'd be looking, the motor obviously works fine.

I dont know jack shit about them, but there is only one motor that is powered 2 ways (12v and 240v), so I am assuming there must be a transformer that either reduces or increases voltage to suit the motor, thats the first place I'd be looking, the motor obviously works fine.
I figure the same, but getting the casing off this thing is a bugger, and I reckon diagnosing and then replacing the transformer is beyond me! So replacing the cord, might be about where I finish lol. I guess I was hoping for a fuse or circuit breaker to appear!

yep, the tip unscrews. the silver tip is on a spring and the top black bit unscrews.

this is what I'm looking at pic one is complete, pic two is tip unscrewed. This leaves a black colar around the socket. The socket looks to be about the right size to hold a fuse. But that black collar doesn't want to come off!

Attachments

• IMAG0038.jpg
    IMAG0038.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 81
  • IMAG0039.jpg
    IMAG0039.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 82
You could always stick one of those LED strips we're all buying in the end of the power cable, one combination is gonna have to light it up if the cable is good. Or use an indicator globe or even an old spotty. Obviously a multimeter is best and you can pick up one that's adequate for $15-$20 these days.

I believe the Engel actually inverts the 12V into 240V to drive the compressor. If the cable is intact, it may be the inverter that's failed.

that looks pretty old & the plug is slightly different to the cigar plug. can you test the plug like Tony has said? plug into 12v socket, unplug from engel & test the ends with a multimeter or testlight.

Once you have determined the power cable is ok it is pretty easy take out the power supply. Open this up and there is a small fuse on the circuit card. If thats ok then you either need to be very good with electronics or just buy a new power supply unit. They are about $200 from memory maybe less.

thanks for your thoughts here fellas, ended up taking it in to a service centre this morning, and it appears the cable is the problem, so $40 bucks at Rays, and my problem is solved.:rock:
but also got a multi meter....

I just replaced my cable because it was getting flaky. Actually I didn't replace it ... I cut the end off and using crimps (and a professional-grade crimping tool) I connected some reasonable alligator clips. The ciggy lighter and its errant falling out is gone forever.

My old faithful Waeco threw a wobbly on the weekend.

I was attending the 4WD club Xmas piss up, it was very hot (+35) and the compressor would not engage and the error light flashed. Beers at 17.5 degrees was not fun!! :bawling:

As soon as the sun went down the compressor worked perfectly.

In fact it was not a good day for all things 12 volts in da ute. The (cheap arse no name) deep cycle dropped a cell so purchased a brand name and bigger aH battery.

Anyway, Waeco service guy says it is an easy fix so here's hoping it is easy and not too expensive. Thermistor apparently - whatever that is.

The thermistor is like a resistor that changes resisting value based on temperature. If a thermistor fails, the voltage returned will be wrong - so the circuit looking at the output will think the temperature is something else (and perhaps out of range).

Thermistors generally cost under a buck. Figuring out that the thermistor needs replacing and then replacing it could cost you a hundred times that.

Latest posts

Back