EML light on Dash - Head scratching

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hardbodyjames

Reaction score
Hi everyone thanks for your warm welcomes since i joined a few weeks ago.
I need help / advice with the Engine management light coming on the dash.

What i can tell you so far, its the 2002 3.0 zd30 imported from Africa to here in the UK. I purchased the vehicle from a trade center a month ago so i have no rights for warranty.

When i picked it up i had traveled 15 miles before the EML light came on , i pulled over , switch off ign the turn on again - light stays out, it stayed out for another 5 miles then came on again and carried on this way for the rest of my journey.

i did think that it maybe a glitch since the truck had probably been sat for a while.

So my jouney to work each day is only 6 miles away and i travel for a week or so to work with no problems, ive done the EGR mod since joining with oil catch can and feel the difference in power, delivery and fuel MPG gains.

when i do the odd extended Journey say 15miles plus the EML light comes on and then i have to keep pulling over , turn off turn on etc to keep turning off the eml light.
I have noticed that when the light is on that i lose power in 4th and 5th gears.

In the UK we dont have any fault code readers that appear to be compatible with the zd30 engine, ive had it plugged in twice by 2 different mechanice with snapon systems. The only time you can get anything is if you input the truck as the 2.5 , then it shows a P7 code, i dont know if this can be trusted. and ive searched this on the site , seems it could be "air in fuel".

Any help would be appreciated

So ive submitted some pics which hopefully will be up soon.
These show in the engine bay that thre are 2 fuel filters of which one has been bypassed, its been like this since ive owned it, im thinking that the previous owner also had this problem and bypassing the fuel filter on the right of the engine bay was and attempt to fix the P7 code fault. Again assuming this is a true code ....

20150216_084507.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The P7 code, if correct, is injector pump timing. Unfortunately it usually means a replacement injector pump. Yes, it could be air or water in the fuel. Replace filter/s first just in case.

The P7 code, if correct, is injector pump timing. Unfortunately it usually means a replacement injector pump. Yes, it could be air or water in the fuel. Replace filter/s first just in case.

The logical thinking part of me thinks that if it were to be the pump, that i wouldnt have to wait for 20-25 miles for the light to come on. and that something is causing this to happen once the engine has either gotten up to temp ( possibly ?? )
or air to collect ? flow to be restricted.

Or it could be a totally fake fault code as i have already said , due to it being a zd30 navara and not the inputted 2.5 on the snap on system reader.

Hope this makes sence

These vp44 injector pumps move a lot of fuel. They can circulate the contents of the tank in a matter of minutes, so I don't think a restriction would take that long to show up. If air was being sucked into the fuel system you would probably have cold starting problems or stalling after a few seconds on cold starts. When my injector pump went the engine light initially came on after 1/2 an hour or so of driving, then progressively, came on after shorter intervals. The logged code was P7. The basic things you can check are: filter, air in fuel (replace fuel lines with clear hose and look for air bubbles). Clutching at straws here but is the fuel tank breather working properly?

Also you may be able to use ECUTalk for diagnostics if you don't trust the mechanics scan tools
http://www.ecutalk.com/interface.aspx
Check what type of port you have but I think you would probably need the OBDII to usb cable.
If yours is the same as the Aussie ZD30 Navaras it has an OBDII port but is not OBDII compliant.

Last edited:
its interesting that you should say about 1/2 hour driving. that would be roughly the same in time as 20 miles that im saying. i hope to god its not the pump. ive always wanted this truck since a young lad. :-(

its interesting that you should say about 1/2 hour driving. that would be roughly the same in time as 20 miles that im saying. i hope to god its not the pump. ive always wanted this truck since a young lad. :-(

I hope so too on your behalf, but they're still bloody good vehicles. Injector pumps do seem to be a fairly common fault as well as turbo's on the earlier models. If it does turn out to be the pump I would say get it fixed and then enjoy your ute (I understand the pain though).

Not sure if it's psg 5 or psg 16. The protocol is Nissan Consult but you can read codes without it. There's a copy of the Manual in the D22 section. The EML also comes on for water in the fuel filter if it has a sensor on it ( you said one was bypassed). Air in the system is a likely culprit and VP44s don't like air in them.

Attachments

• self diagnosis 1.JPG
    self diagnosis 1.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 50
  • self diagnosis 2.JPG
    self diagnosis 2.JPG
    171.4 KB · Views: 49

Latest posts

Back