Electronics suck

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc

Reaction score
I had a small issue with my ute on Saturday....the alternator pulley spun off the front of the shaft. Just unscrewed itself. Strange, considering it was replaced several months ago and I would have thought if there was going to be a problem, it would show up quickly.

But I digress...

After the tilt-tray delivered my vehicle back home, I reinstalled the recovered pulley (along with 1/2 gallon of loctite) and tensioned it to "A bloody lot"nm.

All good. Time for a test drive.

She ran like a pig. A dirty, black smoke belching, powerless pig that won't rev.

Okay, check various odds and sods like chip harness, still poo.

So I removed the chip.

Test drive was fine, just had to tolerate "factory" power availability.

Sunday morning, take the ute for a run down south for the young blokes basketball final. CEL illuminates. Poop. Reset it, then on the way home it illuminates again. Bloody poop.

So I sit down with a multimeter and check the continuity of every wire in the harness for the chip before reinstalling it with new power connections.

Test drive.

Bloody thing runs like a champion. Great power and torque, no smoke, no CEL.

And no idea the actual cause - only a suspicion that a bad connection in the chip loom was to blame.

Better buy myself a cheapo (stand alone) ABD2 scan tool though coz I'm gonna have to confirm that CEL was the rail pressure switch. And if so, I'll need a new one. Does anyone know if you can buy the rail pressure switch alone, or does nissan want to screw you for the whole rail?

Nissan want you to replace the entire rail, I'd heard.

Electronic issues DO suck, big time. Erratic connections are often discovered as the symptom of problems reported here. Remember the guy whose instrument cluster wouldn't work properly - loose earth on the friggin' stereo! All the guys who lose power because of the bloody neutral position switch, or have all sorts of weird things happening because of a loose/dirty earth connection on the engine block ... yeah I hate 'em too!

Your efforts have proven one thing though - perseverance counts, and sometimes you can fix things just by cleaning everything up.

Back