egt and boost gauges

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lance S

Reaction score
G'day guys,

I was wondering we you all put your egt and boost gauges, is it on a twin pod of right hand front pillar or somewhere else.

Have you got any photos of your gauges including the wiring inside the cab and under the bonnet?

I am getting crap economy at the moment, turbo won't spool up until about 2000 and i was wondering if my MAP sensor is partically blocked and where abouts it is located.

cheers,

Lance

Mine is a bit agricultural but it is in good view, they were originally mounted down below the dash but couldn't see them too well and trying to read them wasn't all that safe.

EGTBoostGauges.jpg

image001-3.jpg

2.25" guages just fit. only cheapies, unfortunatly workshop has been full every time i have spare time to fit the egt sender !
wiring, there is a very handy grommet in the firewall just above the pedals that you can put the wires through.

what exactly do you mean "turbo won't spool up until about 2000"?
which motor do you have ?

bad fuel economy + going slow, proberly blocked air filter or fuel filter. if blowing black smoke could be EGR stuck open.

Going up hills or slowing to a set of lights then putting the foot down ( up hills ), the navara's turbo doesn't spool in until 2000rpm, fuel is always around the 550kms to a tank and i have the D22 motor.

Going up hills or slowing to a set of lights then putting the foot down ( up hills ), the navara's turbo doesn't spool in until 2000rpm, fuel is always around the 550kms to a tank and i have the D22 motor.

Which D22 motor, the 3.0 Litre or the 2.5 Litre? With either motor they generally don't get going until they are doing 1800-2000 rpm, all the newer diesels are the same, these motors are not like the older diesels that run high compression and pull big torque from idle, even with the 3" exhaust and chip on mine it doesn't really start moving until there is 1500rpm on the tacho, it does pull from about 1200rpm but even at these revs there would be lucky to be 2psi of boost.

With regards to the mileage you are getting, what sort of driving are you doing, stop start city driving, or is that highway miles?

hey T'weake? How did u manage to get the guages above the CD player?
Where did u stick UHF?
UHF ? this country isn't big enough to need one ! LOL

if i ever get into real back country stuff i might get one and rip the gauges out. the gauges fitted, just. had to make a few brackets hence the bit of wood. i was going to use polished alloy, the wood was temp but ended up staying.

the ZD30 doesn't get full boost until 3000rpm in stock form. its always sluggish off the line.
550kms from a tank can be bad but it depends on driving style and if you have aircon on all the time, hubs locked etc. also depends on what you calla tank. almost noone drives it till the tank is empty.
need to work out your km's to actual fuel used.

also hot weather is a killer for turbo performance.

Last edited:
Hey Lance,
here's a pic of mine

P5250008.jpg

As for the wiring, it varies depending on the guages used.
The EGT probe will need to have fitting tapped into the manifold/exhaust.
ZD30's boost (MAP) sensor is on the elbow straight off the turbo, just add a tee piece and run the air line to your gauge/sensor.
As for the fuel economy, anthing around 10/11L/100km is about average.

G'day guys, another question about the EGT. Has anyone looked at or bought from Auber Instruments in the states. They have a number of EGT's and thermocouples, but i don't know which one would suit. All egt's are pretty much the same but the thermocouples are different, would anyone have an opinion on which would suit best. ie: each other
I have emailed Auber themselves but they weren't that helpful , as i think they didn't have much of an idea.

Any info would be great.

cheers,

Lance

Hey Lance,
here's a pic of mine

P5250008.jpg

As for the wiring, it varies depending on the guages used.
The EGT probe will need to have fitting tapped into the manifold/exhaust.
ZD30's boost (MAP) sensor is on the elbow straight off the turbo, just add a tee piece and run the air line to your gauge/sensor.
As for the fuel economy, anthing around 10/11L/100km is about average.

Hey mate are they apexi gauges? They look the goods anyway whatever brand they are. I wonder if you could buy some plastic paint to match the pod with the rest of the interior?

Hey mate are they apexi gauges? They look the goods anyway whatever brand they are. I wonder if you could buy some plastic paint to match the pod with the rest of the interior?

Yeah Champ, they're Apexi electronic guages. Have memory and a warning system if anything goes outside the norm. Yeah POD is the same colour as the dash (photo makes it look worse than it is)

Blend in well at night too,

gaugenight8.jpg

NB. max boost on the Nav ZD30!

Last edited:
Tommy, Where abouts did you get your gauges and pods from, expensive?

Got then through a Japanese importer (Greenline Motorsports - Bringing you the world's cheapest Japanese performance parts) but check out google for some more sites. I got them when our dollar was much better 1:105ish (now 65ish:angry:)so the were about $350 for the guages, sendors and controler.
Did you do the full install yourself? Take long?

Yeah installed myself, but got an exhaust shop to tap my exhaust manifold.
Didn't really take that long, but i had to modify the POD to fit the a pillar. This took up most of the time. did the whole install one arvo, so just for the guages i'd say 2hrs max. Only need some solder, heat shrink and a test light!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back