EGR mod?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porch

Reaction score
so I did the EGR mod a week or so ago and told my boss about it (he has a 2003 Patrol 4.2). He said he might think about doin it too, just today he had a chat with his mechanic about it and he said don't do it. According to this guy the mod makes the engine burn hotter or something and would end up doing in the piston/s...

so this is kind of the opposite of my understanding of the mod (regarding the longevity of the engine etc), or did I misinterpret the info. Maybe my boss didnt explain what the mod was properly or the mechanic was talking about the 4.2L engine in the patrol?

so whats every1s thought on this?

cheers
Brad

My mechanic said the exact same thing, plates still in the garage as I am undecided what to do.

They're right - the combustion temperatures will definitely be higher.

The EGR is there to dampen the combustion process so that the temperatures don't get high enough to produce nitrogen oxides.

However, the engine is at its hottest when the throttle is fully open - and the EGR valve is CLOSED at that time.

Your engines are designed to withstand the temperature. EGR is there as an emission control mechanism, not an engine cooling method.

Damn, this has really got me worried about blocking my EGR off. I just bought a brand new 2011 D40 ST now just over a week old and i was just about to put the block in plate but was a little worried about playing around with a brand new engine and then having problems. After reading this thread, I'm almost certain now that I won't be doing the EGR mod as it seems to risky and can do more harm to the engine than good. What is everyone else's thoughts about this mod??? :(

Damn, this has really got me worried about blocking my EGR off. I just bought a brand new 2011 D40 ST now just over a week old and i was just about to put the block in plate but was a little worried about playing around with a brand new engine and then having problems. After reading this thread, I'm almost certain now that I won't be doing the EGR mod as it seems to risky and can do more harm to the engine than good. What is everyone else's thoughts about this mod??? :(

well then just wait till your out of warranty and then revisit the notion.

mines been in since new (d22)
been back to nissan for its 6 and 12 mth service with plate still fitted
they didn't notice or comment and no fault codes on service report
heaps of forum members have egr block with no issues,all good reports,engine seems to rev with less hesitation
cheers
sparra

Yer Im quite happy with the mod, and yes I was a bit worried when I 1st heard this. but after looking at it and thinking to myself "well this many people have done it around the world(I'm a member with some of the other Navara forums) and have had them installed for awhile and all reckonmend it. Then it cant be as bad as the mechanic made it sound"

then again I might just have a flawed thought pattern...

cheers
Brad

I just did this to my D40 and as eveyone on here that has done it says that you don't seem to get that turbo lag as you take off and seems to have better low down torque all round, seems to run better as well.
I'm happy so far. Yet to see any better guel consumption but I have only used 1/4 of a tank since doing it.
For anyone looking at getting it done and don't know where to get a plate made up this is what I did. I Went down to a metal fab joint and asked for a scrap bit of 2mm stainless steel that they may have had laying around, and they did, at no charge, but they did have a sign saying that they had a $50 min charge for cutting etc so I went down the road to another joint and asked if they could cut it and at what cost? the man said come back in two hours and ill have it ready and to bring $10.. BARGIN!!! all did was trace the original gaskit and holes. Easy as.

cheers Justin

Glad your happy with the mod Justin,

I bought a plate from forum member jjohn :rock:, delivered to my door (well PO Box actually).

I can't give any report as I have not installed it yet.

I bought a plate from forum member jjohn :rock:, delivered to my door (well PO Box actually).
I can't give any report as I have not installed it yet.

Me too for both.
Is the 2011 ST-X now monitoring the EGR?
I just did a quick search but didn't find it.

I believe it does. If it doesn't detect the presence of SOME it will throw the CEL. Resolve the issue by drilling a small (4-6mm) hole in the middle of the plate. Enough EGR will come through to satisfy the sensor but not enough to overly inhibit combustion.

I believe it does. If it doesn't detect the presence of SOME it will throw the CEL. Resolve the issue by drilling a small (4-6mm) hole in the middle of the plate. Enough EGR will come through to satisfy the sensor but not enough to overly inhibit combustion.

Thanks Old.Tony

I've seen no problem with it so far and wouldn't hesitate to do it again, just confused me a bit when I heard what this mechanic said.
for any1 else looking at doing this mod, I followed what another member (cant remember wot thread it is in) did and just bought a stainless steel tank water sign from bunnings and cut it out of that. Its quite cheap and you dont have to go around to places to find scrap steel.

They're right - the combustion temperatures will definitely be higher.

The EGR is there to dampen the combustion process so that the temperatures don't get high enough to produce nitrogen oxides.

However, the engine is at its hottest when the throttle is fully open - and the EGR valve is CLOSED at that time.

Your engines are designed to withstand the temperature. EGR is there as an emission control mechanism, not an engine cooling method.

Agree 100% with this.
As an added note, I bought my ute 2nd hand with 160k on it with no mods. I fitted a blanking plate for the egr, and when I took the pipe off the inlet to the intake manifold, it looked half blocked with gunk. So I took the inlet manifold off to have a proper look, and what a mess! The egr mixing with the blow by has caused one side of the two runners to halve in diameter due to gunk, and the other had a thick layer (6mm) coating. Took some time to clean it all out, but the air restriction would have been significant, especially to one half of the engine.

My motor now has a blow by catch can and EGR plate, and in my opinion much better for it.

Apparently only a small amount of exhaust gasses are re circulated through the intake, to reduce combustion temp, but a high quality catch can will prevent the intake from clogging up a creating abraisive lumps of gritty soot. A low restriction air filter or regular filter cleaning / replacing will reduce suction from the breather pipe.

Latest posts

Back