EGR mod on d40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EGR mod

The question like to ask is If I put the EGR plate, where those deposits will go ? Will it get black smoke? and one more thing is it need to upgrade exhaust system?

I have navara d40 07 auto 2.5l diesel

Deposits will go thru the cat converter where they belong and whatever is left goes out the back..egr mod can be done on its own to great success.make sure you have read the entire thread lots of good info here.if you have a late model nav.search for adding a small hole in the egr plate as i cannot remember if you need it or not.

You'll actually get LESS black smoke, but unless you have a DPF you will never eliminate all of the black smoke.

The reason why you get LESS black smoke is simple: without the EGR dampening combustion, the fuel combusts properly. Black smoke is partially combusted fuel.

when i installed mine, instead of using gasket with plate i installed just blanking plate only. now i cant find the dam thing in the garage. did you guys installed plate with gasket? or just plate? i did however had high temp silicone gasket on bothide of plate for good seal.

Best mod yet

Hey guys. Just thought i would run my story with you guys. One day at work I started up my D40 to go down and get some lunch. Bang, it was in "Limp" mode. (Wouldnt rev over 2 grand rpm) I quickly switched on my onboard computer thats connected to the OBDII and got the error for the EGR in diagnostics. After researching the net for the last few days I come across this mod. Anyway the boss let me take the company car home for the week till I plated the drivers side of the EGR, which I did tonight. (I will plate the other side this weekend.)
Now before I tell you the result, the funny thing was that when i started it again and again over the last few days, the vehicle continued to go into LIMP mode, where I never got any more error messages. Maybe after that very first time, the circuit to the EGR may have locked open or something, but if I didn't have my diagnostic tool on the very first time it happened, I doubt i would have picked up what the problem would have been. I suspect that I may have got some bad fuel, that may have triggered the EGR unit to fault (as the EGR may have alreadly been ready to go, and some bad fuel sent it over the edge??)
Anyway...the result after installing the plate, I had to quickly re-learn how to drive the Navara (2008, Spanish build with 6 speed manual) as i left a couple of tyre marks on the concrete when i took off, and did the same pulling out of the driveway for a road test. I believe this is the true power this motor is meant to have. Cant wait till I start towing, because the power down low is awesome. Couldn't care less about fuel economy, with this improvement in power...if the economy is slightly worse its well worth it for the power. Best mod out. I am now thinking of a exhaust straight pipe (eliminating muffler which I would be tipping be also full of crap) and a snorkel. This forum helped me out so much...for a 10 minute job, I'm gonna be smiling for a long time!!:rock:

Last edited:
Has anyone heard about removing the spring from the EGR Solenoid. This link on a 4wd board in South Africa talks about removing this spring. This prevents the solenoid from actually opening the valve. I was thinking of doing the EGR mod and came across this thread and wondered if anyone has tried this.

Has anyone heard about removing the spring from the EGR Solenoid. This link on a 4wd board in South Africa talks about removing this spring. This prevents the solenoid from actually opening the valve. I was thinking of doing the EGR mod and came across this thread and wondered if anyone has tried this.

I did the blanking plate some time ago, but this really intrigues me, will take the solenoid apart one of these days and have a look, this would be a much tidier, less obvious way to do it.

I've had the egr plate in since 1100 km and took it out a few weeks ago as I was paranoid nissan would find it doing the egt sensor for the recall, I'm hesitant to put it back in because it feels a lot better without it in, smoother idle, doesn't rev up when putting the clutch in after reversing etc and just seems smoother engine wise. I reckon it is all in the head IMO only good thing is it whistles a lot louder through the exhaust when coming down revs

I've had the egr plate in since 1100 km and took it out a few weeks ago as I was paranoid nissan would find it doing the egt sensor for the recall, I'm hesitant to put it back in because it feels a lot better without it in, smoother idle, doesn't rev up when putting the clutch in after reversing etc and just seems smoother engine wise. I reckon it is all in the head IMO only good thing is it whistles a lot louder through the exhaust when coming down revs

Interesting. There is some pretty wild claims of the benifits of blanking it. Personally I never gained any economy from doing so but once the turbo does start to spool it's that progression onto boost that definatley feels quicker but would be hesitant to call it "more power". The best benefit is not having to decoke the inlet manifold further into the engines life. That's gotta be a good thing. As for now hearing more whistle without it, never really noticed. As for myself I have no desire for the boy racer sounds of it.

With it blanked off some say this could lead to higher EGT's and theoretically there can be some basis for this. Although how you drive the truck and conditions of how it's used will have the biggest effect on EGT's. Interesting to note that in the truck & bus transport industry most manufacturers have gone to add blue to circumvent the NOX emissions and other issues that EGR brings.

I think without EGR the EGTs are definitely going to be higher, since the combustion in the chamber will be more complete without any dampening effect of the EGR (effectively replacing oxygen content in the chamber with CO/CO2). How significantly higher will depend greatly on driving style as you point out - people who drive moderately will notice a slightly higher average EGT but those who drive flat-out may not notice a thing, since the EGR valve isn't open at full throttle anyway.

I did think the addition of AdBlue was more to do with not wasting diesel fuel to be used as a reductant on the CATs. I don't agree with either method of emission reduction to be honest - EGR reduces combustion temps to prevent NOx, at the cost of impairing the efficiency of the engine - and the CAT only catches about 15% (at best, I've read it can be much worse at high flow rates) so it's grossly inefficient. In my mind, spending a fortune developing a complex mechanism (with potential for faults, failures and other impairment like blocked exhausts) just to MAYBE catch 15% of the dangerous emissions is not an effective solution.

Someone said (in the late 90s) that if battery technology had advanced at the rate of computer technology, then the humble AA battery would have then stored the same amount of power that was unleashed on Hiroshima.

I want one of THOSE under my bonnet.

Wow, just finished reading all the pages. This is my first post on here and love reading this forum. Looks like there's some people alot more mechenicaly minded then I am, which isn't hard at all. So glad I came across this forum. How I came across it was looking for things to try and reduce lag and see what everyone was getting for fuel economy? So many thoughts have gone through my head, But I think I have settled on what to do. I'm not looking to make lots of power, just make what I have run really well as I'm a chippy and tow a trailer everyday and hate the lag. I was thinking of doing the egr block, which hopefully I get around to tomorrow, 3 inch exhaust, intercooler kit and hard pipe from air box to turbo. I only have a little over a year of warranty left so will be only doing the egr and plazma man hard pipe for now so I can just remove them before the service. ( i just dont want to give Nissan any excuse to not warrant anything).
This brings me to a question that I have got, I've read on this thread that blocking the egr it raises the temps while your on the throttle except on full throttle( which I try not to do to often) would a better/bigger intercooler bring those down? ( sorry if it's a dumb question.)
After what I have read I'm looking forwad to doing the egr block and seeing how it goes. After warranty I will make it permenent and do both sides along with other mods.
cheers

Wow, just finished reading all the pages. This is my first post on here and love reading this forum. Looks like there's some people alot more mechenicaly minded then I am, which isn't hard at all. So glad I came across this forum. How I came across it was looking for things to try and reduce lag and see what everyone was getting for fuel economy? So many thoughts have gone through my head, But I think I have settled on what to do. I'm not looking to make lots of power, just make what I have run really well as I'm a chippy and tow a trailer everyday and hate the lag. I was thinking of doing the egr block, which hopefully I get around to tomorrow, 3 inch exhaust, intercooler kit and hard pipe from air box to turbo. I only have a little over a year of warranty left so will be only doing the egr and plazma man hard pipe for now so I can just remove them before the service. ( i just dont want to give Nissan any excuse to not warrant anything).
This brings me to a question that I have got, I've read on this thread that blocking the egr it raises the temps while your on the throttle except on full throttle( which I try not to do to often) would a better/bigger intercooler bring those down? ( sorry if it's a dumb question.)
After what I have read I'm looking forwad to doing the egr block and seeing how it goes. After warranty I will make it permenent and do both sides along with other mods.
cheers

Welcome to the forum Nitro27, if you need a few pics ect on the DIY EGR here is a link to a thread i posted not long ago,

http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=24190

Also its up to you, but personally i dont think you should worry about removing the plate for service because they really dont look and dont care, my Nissan service manager told me to do it.
I would only take it out if there was a problem related to it, which is pretty unlikely.

Welcome Nitro.

Reducing charge air temperature will reduce EGT'S. So theoretically a larger more efficient inter-cooler will have and effect on bringing down EGT's. Full throttle will dramatically increase EGT (it has to, more fuel going in) but none of us drive around at full throttle and if so only for a short period of time. For this reason why the EGR valve is closed under wide open throttle applications. The other, NOX levels are measured in parts per million output per kilometer driven and not as a percentage of gas from the exhuast.

Water injection is another way of reducing EGT. Works on the basic theory of physics- evaporation equals cooling and therefore reduces charge air temps... Kind of like how an evaporative air conditioner works.

Last edited:
Hey guys thanks for the info, I deffinetly will be doing the exhaust and intercooler once the warranty runs out in a little over a year. Anyways I did the egr block today, as everyone has said it's a fairly mod to do. So after I had to take it for a test drive. I only went around my local streets and only getting up to 80. As for what had changed in my nav, I think that there is a little more power before the turbo kicks in. Weather that is the the turbo coming on earlier or its just better ignition in the motor but deffenitly took the big burst out of it at just over 2 thousand revs so its a little smoother in that part. I noticed that its takes less throttle to get through the rev range which is great and 3rd gear seemed to be a real power gear wanting to take off. As for the smoke that seems to be left behind by the Nav's I would say it seemed to be reduced a little bit on take off but more so when acelarating through the gears. Just glad that it's blocking all that black crap. Once I get through a couple of tanks I will let you guys know how.Im at 11.5- 11.9 right now.
cheers.

Latest posts

Back