EGR mod on d40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Tony, did the Mod this morning, going back North of Brewarrina tomorrow to work, I'll see if there is any difference. Looking forward to it.

gave the EGR mod a go a few days ago. ive noticed visibly less smoke, none even when i used to see it pour out my exhaust. no comment on fuel economy yet as ive not done enough km, seems to be more powerful and better boost aswell!

a side note, did you guys reset your ecu after doing it? not sure if i should?

Since reading up on the EGR I am definitely going to do this mod within the next week.. but not sure what you guys mean when you are talking about blocking both sides? I can see the egr pipe on the driver's side, but is there another pipe on the passenger side?

Ryno, they are talking about blocking both ends of the pipe. There is only one pipe.

Yea I figured it out once I removed the engine cover. Are blanking plates sold in any auto stores?

EDIT: Just realised it's probably against the law for auto stores to sell these plates, so just purchased one on Ebay.. It's going to be like my Nav has quit smoking haha!

Last edited:
Just got back from Bre. Didn't notice much in the way of fuel economy difference as I was pulling a trailer most of the time, but is does come on boost quicker. About half the time it did before.

Hey I had a d22 and did the egr mod to it and it involved changing a few things around to disable the valve aswell as blocking the pipe

I have now just bought a d40 and from what I have read you just block the pipe ?? Nothing eles is required like on the d22

Is this correct or am I wrong ?

Hey I had a d22 and did the egr mod to it and it involved changing a few things around to disable the valve aswell as blocking the pipe

I have now just bought a d40 and from what I have read you just block the pipe ?? Nothing eles is required like on the d22

Is this correct or am I wrong ?

Thats correct!

Can anyone confirm if the latest Spain built D40 ST models have any problems with the EGR mod?
I remember reading that some owners had to drill a small hole in the plate, but now I can't find any reference to that.

Is there anyone with a Spanish 2012 D40 that has fitted the plate?

Cheers,
Harry.

peaple could of been having trouble with the faulty egr sensor aswell thinking it might of been the plate causing the problems maybe. because my engine would be the same.

I installed mine yesterday and re-used the original gasket on the intake (upstream) side. Not sure if that was the right thing to do. Any thoughts? I was told not to bother with any gaskets because it is very low pressure??

No error codes so far, and the turbo does seem to spool up quicker. Most noticeable at low speeds and when accelerating from standstill.

I installed mine yesterday and re-used the original gasket on the intake (upstream) side. Not sure if that was the right thing to do. Any thoughts? I was told not to bother with any gaskets because it is very low pressure??

No error codes so far, and the turbo does seem to spool up quicker. Most noticeable at low speeds and when accelerating from standstill.

The most important thing to do is ensure that BOTH sides have a good seal.

If the exhaust side leaks, you'll have a small amount of exhaust and some black soot showing in the engine bay.

If the valve side leaks, there's a chance that you'll have some boost leak which could make some unexpected sounds and reduce performance (depending on how bad the leak gets).

Solve it completely by installing the (flat) blanking plate only with sensor-safe gasket cement on BOTH sides. Permatex Ultra Blue from SCA is perfect.

Hi Guys
Well after a lot of reading I'm going ahead this afternoon with making up a Blanking plate. Sick of my Navara going into limp mode every time I hit anywhere around 3000rpm. Happened again this morning on a busy road south of Brissy and nearly caused a massive pile up. Also happened last night on the Bruce heading home. Going to a stainless steel place at Caboolture to find some scrap and make my own. Have found some Blanking Plates on ebay for around $30 but that sounds to much for a broke guy like me. Love the forum. Wish I had found it a year ago when I started having this problem. Keep up the good work and look forward to reading more posts :)

Welcome aboard Sheepy!

Please don't be disappointed when you find that the problem persists. Dropping out like that around 3,000rpm has been a sign of a failing suction control valve on the pump.

Hi Guys
Well after a lot of reading I'm going ahead this afternoon with making up a Blanking plate. Sick of my Navara going into limp mode every time I hit anywhere around 3000rpm. Happened again this morning on a busy road south of Brissy and nearly caused a massive pile up. Also happened last night on the Bruce heading home. Going to a stainless steel place at Caboolture to find some scrap and make my own. Have found some Blanking Plates on ebay for around $30 but that sounds to much for a broke guy like me. Love the forum. Wish I had found it a year ago when I started having this problem. Keep up the good work and look forward to reading more posts :)

Welcome to the forum Sheepy,
you can use the small stainless steel signs they sell in the hardware store for a few bucks (the ones that say no junk mail or tank water in use ect)
well thats what i have used on my last two navs.

Latest posts

Back