efffffing RATS!!!!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heata

Reaction score
Got home late last night to find that RATS have chewed through the hot water pipe in the laundry. (Auspecs) Can you believe it???? Luckily my wife noticed a hissing sound and then that the laundry was flooded, and called a mate to come around to turn off the water, since I wasn't home. So spent this morning removing back of vanity and sodden plaster ready for repair. Now I'm off to the shops to get some serious rat poison.

The thing that worries me is that this tubing is all through the house how many other spots have the rats had a go?
Not sure how the flooring (yellow tongue) will dry out, or the cabinets for that matter.
:devil::devil::devil:

Atleast our rats only chase cat food and other bugs in the hay stacks. I think you'd notice fairly quickly if the rats had chewed too many pipes in the house given what they have done where you have seen it, water damage to plaster is usually fairly quick and give most pipes run somewhere near plaster I'd reckon you'd notice something.

As far as yellow tongue goes it's hit and miss, the floor boards of our old house were the standard boards not meant to suffer with too much water and the floor of the neighbours house were the weather proof ones. The winter both houses got built we had nearly 200mm of rain in 3 weeks and it rained fairly solidly for 2 months and the builders couldn't do anything to our house, end result next doors house needed nearly all the boards replaced because they swelled with the water and ours didn't, our stumps sank but the floor boards were ok, so even the weather proof yellow tongue can swell but I think you'll notice it when it does. If you're not confident in checking to make sure it's all ok by yourself it wont cost much to get a building inspector or just go through insurance, if the cost out weighs the excess all good but if the cost is cheaper than the excess you don't continue the claim.

I want to know which dentist is fitting steel (or better) teeth to the bloody rats?

How on earth do they chew through copper pipe? Or have they evolved to using power tools now?

Not many newer houses (atleast around here) have copper water pipes, its all grey plastic piping. Not sure who came up with the idea or why (probably cost cutting) but it's a bloody joke, on a hot summers day I can nearly burn myself on the water that comes through the pipes in the roof. I can actually turn the hot water tap on and the water cools down as it empties the pipes and starts coming from the hot water heater.

Auspex. Poly-ethylene piping, no-one's using copper on water anymore too bloody expensive.

Bad luck mate, where you being, school camp?

Yeah as Jase says Auspex. I was in China, promoting our state's biggest export. Plumber will be round this arvo to crimp (?) a new piece in. Looking at it I've been pretty fortunate, in that it was discovered quickly, and is at the back of the laundry cupboard so repairs will be well hidden. It could have been in the ceiling, or behind a 3m glass splashback I have in the kitchen, or etc etc.
Insurance will cover any damage from the water, but not the rat... However it looks to be drying out ok.

Last edited:
Insurance will cover any damage from the water, but not the rat....

No but this is a public forum so the RSPCA and your local greenies will be on your door step in no time protesting for equal rights for rats.

No but this is a public forum so the RSPCA and your local greenies will be on your door step in no time protesting for equal rights for rats.

Don't be silly - Black & Brown rats can go to hell. Native rats (stick nest, water rats etc) are unlikely to take up residence in your house (especially in Melbourne).

If it wasn't duck hunting season and Laurie Levy heard you say that he would be hunting you down and giving you a good seeing too...all creatures are sacred and all creatures need fruit cakes like him too look after them.

Hey heata, welcome back! Sorry to hear about the rats... It's not the year of the rat is it? That would be kind of ironic?! Let us know if you need vnog to come around and take out the rats!!

Thats gold Tony, PMSL. Thanks Marcus.

Water pipes repaired and back on, column heater drying out laundry and baits set for rats. Now we wait...

Latest posts

Back