ECU Flash

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F6 381

Reaction score
Driving back from Kalbarrie and i go to overtake a car and the car just lost power and would not rev above 3000 rpm no black or white smoke coming out of exhaust just bugger all power.

No codes on the dash and it didn't go into limp mode but would not rev past 3000 rpm. Call into Nissan dealer in Geralton and he tells me this also happened to him some time ago. Ended up being a faulty fuel solonoid that is on the left side of the engine and it will not bring up any codes so you just turn off the engine and it comes good again as the fuel solonoid resets.

No worries and we take off to Perth but it does it again 3 times so drop it off at my dealer and explain what happened so i leave the car there and they test it but it won't play up on them.

He tells me they have just released an ECU upgrade for this fault and there has also been a bulletin brought out in 2010 about this problem as the dealer showed me in Geralton. My dealer was a little pissed about the dealer in Geralton showing me the bulletin as i'm not meant to see this.

My dealer tells me the road tested my car but they didn't as i reset my trip meter in Geralton so i know how many k's were on there. It seems all they did was keep my car all day and flashed my car with the new ECU upgrade and did a few checks in the shop.

Hopefully all is good but time will tell. Car is a June 2011 STX Diesel with no mods. So if this has happened to anybody else go to your dealer and get the ECU re-flashed.

Tell them service bulletin EF10-001 and watch there faces as they try and work out how you got this info :rofl2:

Great info. A lot of us on here have issues with limp mode and no CEL light or code being recorded. There is a big history of Nissan changing the fuel solenoid or the Suction control valve but I believe Nissan are clutching at straws as it has been stated by Nissan they have no answer to the problem which is across the board. Next visit to the service dept I will definitely spring this one on them. Cheers

Driving back from Kalbarrie and i go to overtake a car and the car just lost power and would not rev above 3000 rpm no black or white smoke coming out of exhaust just bugger all power.

No codes on the dash and it didn't go into limp mode but would not rev past 3000 rpm. Call into Nissan dealer in Geralton and he tells me this also happened to him some time ago. Ended up being a faulty fuel solonoid that is on the left side of the engine and it will not bring up any codes so you just turn off the engine and it comes good again as the fuel solonoid resets.

No worries and we take off to Perth but it does it again 3 times so drop it off at my dealer and explain what happened so i leave the car there and they test it but it won't play up on them.

He tells me they have just released an ECU upgrade for this fault and there has also been a bulletin brought out in 2010 about this problem as the dealer showed me in Geralton. My dealer was a little pissed about the dealer in Geralton showing me the bulletin as i'm not meant to see this.

My dealer tells me the road tested my car but they didn't as i reset my trip meter in Geralton so i know how many k's were on there. It seems all they did was keep my car all day and flashed my car with the new ECU upgrade and did a few checks in the shop.

Hopefully all is good but time will tell. Car is a June 2011 STX Diesel with no mods. So if this has happened to anybody else go to your dealer and get the ECU re-flashed.

Tell them service bulletin EF10-001 and watch there faces as they try and work out how you got this info :rofl2:

Thanks for the info :cheers!:

I think Old Tony will be able to tell you more, but someone on here had the same problem and it turned out that if you undo the fuel cap just a little the problem seems to go.
Sorry for being a bit vague, but thats about all i can remember reading from that particular thread....:hmmmm2:

Thanks for the info :cheers!:

I think Old Tony will be able to tell you more, but someone on here had the same problem and it turned out that if you undo the fuel cap just a little the problem seems to go.
Sorry for being a bit vague, but thats about all i can remember reading from that particular thread....:hmmmm2:

Na......sell up and buy a D22

Nathan22, that was a method Old.Tony and i came up with but due to the extended time between limp mode incidences i havent 100% convinced myelf yet. Not sure if anyone elso has had full success with loosening the fuel cap????

Does this apply to all D40 2.5 models or just that later versions..??

Not too sure if it is for models before Jan 2010 but it wouldn't surprise me if it it was.

Done another 400k and it hasn't done it again so hopefully it is all done and dusted.

One of my supervisors back in '07 had a new '06/'07 STX and it had these prob's....took nissan about 3-4 goes at fixing it, they had it for over a week in total.

With Mark's car, it took us a couple of hours of talking about it, shining a light in here and there watching things while the engine ticked over, taking it for a drive and watching the fuel rail pressure/boost pressure and finally getting an error code (which I can't remember the code, but I know it was a fuel-related one).

In the end we thought it had to be something to do with sucking the fuel from the tank and my initial thought was that the fuel cap vent hole might be blocked, causing a vacuum in the tank. I don't think I was right, but the solution Mark and I found seemed to fit that (and solve it) so obviously something relating to GETTING the fuel from the tank was at issue. Since that night, there have been a few cars with similar symptoms that have been fixed by Nissan replacing the suction control valve.

That's why I have been wondering if the cars with SCV problems would see the symptoms disappear when the fuel cap is loosened - because if it did, then Mark's problem is the SCV and not the fuel cap.

Ef10-001 bulletin refers to the replacement of the Scv. Has nothing to do with a reflash of ecu.
And bulletin is no longer valid.

Flash didnt fix mine.

Guys I've had this same issue.. But worse.

Today I took my d40 into Nissan to have the ecu flashed and remove the issue. Now the car is 30-40 horse power less than when I dropped it off. Feels like an old 2.8 hilux!! I took it straight back and even the mechanic noticed. Now they are trying to solve that issue but have no idea!! Anyone heard of this? I'm so sick of it I almost want to buy a new ecu myself and be done with it. Is that even possible?

Late 2010 STX manual with extra bits.

Guys I've had this same issue.. But worse.

Today I took my d40 into Nissan to have the ecu flashed and remove the issue. Now the car is 30-40 horse power less than when I dropped it off. Feels like an old 2.8 hilux!! I took it straight back and even the mechanic noticed. Now they are trying to solve that issue but have no idea!! Anyone heard of this? I'm so sick of it I almost want to buy a new ecu myself and be done with it. Is that even possible?

Late 2010 STX manual with extra bits.

It sounds very odd. Reset the thing yourself: get your radio PIN, then pull the battery negative lead off the battery and stand on the brake pedal for 5 seconds. Put the lead back on the battery and presto, ECU has been reset.

There are a hundred things that affect the vehicle's power. Things like the MAFS in the air intake can get dirty, providing poor readings to the ECU about how much air is flowing into the engine - the ECU will put the wrong amount of fuel into the chamber = less power. Grab a can of electrical contact cleaner and give the MAFS a spray - be gentle, it's a $400 item sitting in the back of the air tube just outside the air box on the way to the turbocharger.

It could also be a faulty fuel rail pressure sender. If that's reading a little high, the ECU will underfuel again, causing what seems to be a power loss.

A CAS sensor (hard to get to, it's behind the flywheel) that's a little out of alignment could cause the injector opening to be a fraction out of time. If it's early, you'll notice a louder diesel knock as the rising piston is hammered by the burning diesel just before the piston reaches TDC. If it's too late, the piston is already on its way down when the diesel is introduced and thus is less effective.

You might also have a boost leak, or a stuck EGR valve - who knows. Start with the cheap solutions like cleaning the MAFS and go from there.

Knowing what kind of noise you're hearing - extra whistling, louder knocking, extra injector rattling etc - will help. This is a text medium - we can't see your car - so be as descriptive as you can, and we'll do the best we can.

Thanks old Tony, I'll give some detail but it was also in at Nissan for its 20,000 km service. I would hope Nissan would be onto some of the stuff you mentioned?

One other important factor is that I'm running a chip and egt controller from c h I p i t. I pulled the chip out this morning and drove it to Nissan and all was well. Could the wiring loops for the chip and egt have caused any issues when they flashed my ecu with the update. Logic says no. The mechanic also tested it with the loops for the chip totally removed and still no power. There are no unusual noises coming out. No error codes came up. I'll be talking with them again tomorrow so I will mention these things you've said. I fear they will sound puzzled. Surely they havnt missed as simple as dirty MAFS..

What is more likely... Incompetent mechanics or a faulty ecu? I'm on the fence.

Thanks again for info.

Latest posts

Back