drum brake problem

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nav224

Reaction score
hey guys,

decided it was time to replace rear drum brakes when they started to make a grinding noise when braking

I proceeded to remove them however one of them I cannot remove as the brake shoes have come unattached inside the drum, the shoe retainers have come undone and the pads are jamming the drum on I have tried prying it off in every way possible

does anyone have any suggestions to getting it off?

Thanks Nav224

You have to loosen the brake adjuster. To access the adjuster, remove the rubber cap behind the brake plate assy, a flat screwdriver should do the job.

Yeh also as you try to pry it off you should be tapping it with a hammer around so it lets the pads slip off the drum as your applying pressure to remove it..

Yes you will have to back them off, More then likely you have a large lip on the inner surface of the drum which will require machining at your local brake shop.
My nav did this the first time i got it, did a entire rebuild but it took a day as they were stuffed like yours.

you will need two items to back them off, eg 2 small bent flathead screw drivers, you need the push away the "self adjusting plate" towards the wheel ad then proceed to turn the adjuster star ratchet, you need to disengage the adjuster plate as you will be turning the wheel against the direction of the start ratchet, if you dont it will grip/catch the plate and you cant turn it. take a bit of skill.

Once you have got the drums off you can rebuild, cylinders, shoes, machining, bleed.

there is one other option that works but it may break everything, not to much drama if your replacing it all. use the bolt on the drums with some long same threaded bolts. Crank up the tension so there its even on both bolt holes, not to crazy as they will strip. and bash the living shit out of the drum with a hammer.... preferable a softer hammer like copper. You may find that the drum gives that little bit each time, so re tension it ad proceed, but as i said you can break thinks big time.. its the last resort.

thanks heaps for all your help!

got them off with persistence and slowly backing off the adjuster as it was seized shut

there are 2 holes near the middle of the drum, if memory serves they are M6 threaded, grab some bolts (might be M8, but im sure they are M6), run them in the holes with your fingers till they both reach bottom, then tighten them both evenly with a spanner or ratchet, this will slide the drum off with little to no effort. if the shoes are grabbing on the drum it may require more effort but it should work sweet.

there are 2 holes near the middle of the drum, if memory serves they are M6 threaded, grab some bolts (might be M8, but im sure they are M6), run them in the holes with your fingers till they both reach bottom, then tighten them both evenly with a spanner or ratchet, this will slide the drum off with little to no effort. if the shoes are grabbing on the drum it may require more effort but it should work sweet.

Thats a great tip, we really need a tips thread (if there isnt already one) for things like this. Could save some of us (def myself) many hours of blood, sweat, swearing and tongue biting.

Latest posts

Back