DPF burn off - does it smell?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gbt

Reaction score
Just a quick question about the DPF burn off, would I be able to smell it?

I noticed a burning rubberish type smell just the other day driving on the open road and noticed a decent amount of black smoke coming from the exhaust.

After a while it was gone and I am wondering if it was the DPF burning off.

Could that be it?

i did exactly the same thing, but was wanting to hear from anyone on here who may have a different opinion.... there are lots of opinions floating around here.

Mate I think this is what I was having problems with. But I was getting puffs of black smoke just after take off. More in second shifting into 3rd. Not ever on the open road. My truck always smells like a dirty diesel and maybe my high fuel consumption is because it still wants to do a regen and some fuel is still going in. In saying that I haven't had any thing since I did the reset (twice).

If you have an EGT gauge you will see the temps rise when a burn off happens. But you won't notice it otherwise.

The DPF light only comes on if it's blocked or is needing a burn. A long drive will sort the light out.

After 145,000km you'd think my car'd done a regen or two. I've only ever seen the DPF light when the ignition is first turned on (so I do know that the light works) but I've never seen it otherwise. And I know the exhaust works, and I also know the inside of my exhaust is shinier than the outside (DPF might be Swedish for "pipe polish" ???)

The burning smell might well be the DPF active burn, and we do know that our cars do that. I've noticed it a couple of times on mine, I thought I'd picked up a plastic bag on the exhaust or some rubber had come in to contact with the exhaust, but a careful (shit, that's hot!!!) inspection revealed nothing untoward.

I've also never had a whit of smoke from mine. Nothing visible at night, nothing visible when I tramp it at the lights (observed by someone following).

If you've got black smoke, I'd be asking the dealer if the DPF is faulty or missing.

Hello Guys and Girls

Yes sometimes you can smell them. DPF's that are working really efficiently tend not to give you any clue of their existence. If it smelly or using a heap of diesel then it's likely the things partially blocked and the ECU is struggling to clear it and it's likely it will need replacing or refurbishment sometime in the not to distant future.

My misses has a Diesel Holden cruise which has pretty much done 50,000 km's of stop start city driving and it's often smelly if it's mid burn and i put it in the garage hot. I'm currently making a DPF delete kit for this car too. DPF's are really a pain in the bum for city use. Who ever decided it was a good idea should be shot.

Latest posts

Back