Diesel pump chain snap

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi stelianos, i am curious as to why your amazed, in my book it says,
gasoline engine--replace timing belt
in the diesel section--it says - replace timing belt and injection pump.
was the d22 released with a diesel engine fitted with a timing belt? i'm not sure, may'be i'm stupid for not interpreting [ timing belt into camshaft timing chain ] and in my years of mechanical experience, i have never heard of a timing CHAIN having to be replaced at a piss poor 100,000ks,but 1 thing i am sure of is there are hundreds ,if not thousands of nissan owners who, are, have been, or will be, in the same boat as me atm. i won't even comment on your first paragraph...no offence intended..den..

the d22 engine does have a single row lower chain but its never a problem. if you want to replace it go on waste your money. i hate repeating myself but there was never a nissan diesel engine with timing belts. replace injection pump? are you even reading the correct book. you might have mixed it all up a bit.

yes all the nissan deisel engines have Timing Chains only, never had Timing Belts, only the petrol engines have timing belts.

I wonder how many suckers they collected tips from with that "replace the injection pump" business. At $4K a pop plus labour it's not exactly a cheap exercise. You'd imagine that the timing chain cover would have to come off too, so it's a disassembly of the front end (radiator etc too) that's needed.

the d22 engine does have a single row lower chain but its never a problem. if you want to replace it go on waste your money. i hate repeating myself but there was never a nissan diesel engine with timing belts. replace injection pump? are you even reading the correct book. you might have mixed it all up a bit.

from what iv'e read, some yd25s have 2 single chains and some have a single lower and a duplex upper, but whatever they have, i think it would be very foolish not to replace the lower chain while the engine was half pulled down.
as for the correct book, yes with warranty pasted inside. i'm not the mixed up one..
thanks jonney and old tony for your replies. [ at $4K a pop ] + whatever for the timing chain replacement how do nissan justify this for a 100K service + the 200K service and so on. my mind boggles as to what it would cost to keep these later model cars for 3or4 or 500,000 ks...den

I doubt they'd follow that recipe for the 100K and 200K services anyway. At around $3K for the timing chains + tensioners + install, $4K for the pump and maybe another $1K for install and (seeing as it's a mid-range service period) about $600 for the service, you'd be looking at $8,600 each time. You can buy a Great Wall (with 25km on the clock) for that. I truly can't see them asking for that sort of coin for a service.

My own car doesn't specify a timing chain change at any service. It has 224,000km on it now and I've had the chain checked a couple of times but never had it replaced. Fairly certain it's a single-row upper and lower too.

But then again, mine is a D40 (2009 STX, same as jonathon9214's). I know some of the D22s were built differently (still a YD25 but different head, cams). The 140kW YD25 in the 2012+ D40 even has a different valve arrangement. Whatever arrangement they used in the D22 seems to be a winner - I've not read about too many D22s with broken timing chains. It might just be the tensioner - we had this discussion in another thread - but the D22 version of the YD25 is a solid beast. Nice torque down low too, I might add, compared to the D40.

yes,a lot of people suspect the tensioners as being the weak link causing the chain to break. but anyway i'll eat some cement and build a bridge and get over it. and ,yes i was very happy with it's power ,and nissans are still the best ute/wagon to drive..den

the only engine with duplex upper and lower chain is the YD25 with the VP44 pump we got in europe from 2002-2005. you have never seen it in Australia. every other YD25 version in the d40 and the d22 has a single row lower chain and duplex upper. the main problem is the upper chain tensioner which causes rattle on start up. easy to replace the tensioner. shitload of money to replace the chains or do the duplex conversion.

thanks stelianos for your good info. i am more confused than ever [ not mixed up ]lol. i am a maintenance person who is replacing chains and sprockets regulary. why would nissan use a simplex chain to drive 2 loads [fuel pump and vac pump, i think it is ] and then from one of these load sprockets ,use a duplex chain to drive the camshafts, which effectively, is double the load [at a guess] is beyond me. if it is the tensioners failing? [which i'm inclined to believe] what is causing the upper chain to break ?why did they discontinue the eu 02-05 models with the 2 duplex chains, sounds like a winner to me ?.anyway,regardless of all this waffle, a work collegue,whom i asked about his sevice booklet 2 days ago ,brought his 2014 model d40 booklet in today and 6 years later, it stated the same as mine on the 100,000k service page...nissan must of had a few million or so of these booklets printed and just throw them willy nilly into every 2nd or third car off the production line ...den

Last edited:
Timing Chains

Well as promised I've had the chain job done -the D40 I purchased had 167K on the clock and as I also mentioned it rattled on start up until the oil pressure light went out.
As instructed I have all of the parts that were replaced with the double row conversion kit--ALL of the parts are buggered the guides are worn out-sprockets look like they came off a kid's bike-chains are stretched and tensioners well worn. The lower single row chain was ready to let go so while investing less than 3k I've now got peace of mind with the timing chain--also included in the price was a valve clearance check--yes they are adjustable [shims and buckets] and a flush out of the cooling system. I'm very happy with the performance and the quality of the work.
Reading some of the responses to this thread if you have ANY rattle coming from the engine at ANY time FFS get it looked at by a pro. It's quite obvious that the oem chains are crap and should be replaced or you'll be looking for a new engine BTW mine was a 10/11 Thai model.
Regards Grumbo

I'm going to pull mine down for an inspection when work slows down and it can be off the road for a few day's. If anyone would like to view how it is done send me a pm and I'll gladly show you. the old thing has towed most of it's life and still goes very well. My main concern is the fact I plan to keep it for a long time and need it reliable. Paul at yd25 is a good bloke that can help if you have an issue. Long live the TD27 one of the best lasting donks Nissan has built.

thanks stelianos for your good info. i am more confused than ever [ not mixed up ]lol. i am a maintenance person who is replacing chains and sprockets regulary. why would nissan use a simplex chain to drive 2 loads [fuel pump and vac pump, i think it is ] and then from one of these load sprockets ,use a duplex chain to drive the camshafts, which effectively, is double the load [at a guess] is beyond me. if it is the tensioners failing? [which i'm inclined to believe] what is causing the upper chain to break ?why did they discontinue the eu 02-05 models with the 2 duplex chains, sounds like a winner to me ?.anyway,regardless of all this waffle, a work collegue,whom i asked about his sevice booklet 2 days ago ,brought his 2014 model d40 booklet in today and 6 years later, it stated the same as mine on the 100,000k service page...nissan must of had a few million or so of these booklets printed and just throw them willy nilly into every 2nd or third car off the production line ...den

yea they used a simplex chain from the crankshaft to drive the fuel pump and vaccum pump and takes up a huge load on a diesel engine with makes up to 128 kW at least. makes no sense. the upper duplex chain never ever breaks, the tensioner is the problem because it works with hydrolic pressure and being so high up in the timing cover eventually it lets go of the oil when the truck is parked overnight and will hold no tension over the chain when you start it up in the morning. rattle usually goes away after 3-5 mins when the tensioner builds oil pressure. easy to replace the tensioner as i said. apart from that 100,000 kms doesnt state you need to replace anything like timing chains(supposed to outlast the vehicle and never get serviced) or fuel pump... the only service the engine needs is oil-filters, blank the egr and maybe run some fuel cleaner in the fuel pump from time to time.

. Long live the TD27 one of the best lasting donks Nissan has built.
yes i drive one daily,speedo died about 5 years ago, 430,000k on clock. i'm guesstimating it has done over 500k and still going well.

rattle usually goes away after 3-5 mins when the tensioner builds oil pressure. easy to replace the tensioner as i said. apart from that 100,000 kms doesnt state you need to replace anything like timing chains(supposed to outlast the vehicle and never get serviced) or fuel pump... the only service the engine needs is oil-filters, blank the egr and maybe run some fuel cleaner in the fuel pump from time to time.
i disagree with you stelianos, i looked at another 2010 model service,booklet last friday,states the same. [replace timing belt and injection pump ] at 100,000k service. maybe greece booklets don't state that..den...

. Long live the TD27 one of the best lasting donks Nissan has built.
yes i drive one daily,speedo died about 5 years ago, 430,000k on clock. i'm guesstimating it has done over 500k and still going well.

rattle usually goes away after 3-5 mins when the tensioner builds oil pressure. easy to replace the tensioner as i said. apart from that 100,000 kms doesnt state you need to replace anything like timing chains(supposed to outlast the vehicle and never get serviced) or fuel pump... the only service the engine needs is oil-filters, blank the egr and maybe run some fuel cleaner in the fuel pump from time to time.
i disagree with you stelianos, i looked at another 2010 model service,booklet last friday,states the same. [replace timing belt and injection pump ] at 100,000k service. maybe greece booklets don't state that..den...

ok so i will be gentle here and try to hold my nerves and not call you an ignorant and arogant fool. everyone is telling you that [replace timing belt and injection pump ] at 100,000k service is an idiotic. here, read the PROPER service intervals. FOR AUSTRALIA.
image.png

image.png
me and Old.Tony among other already told you the FUEL PUMP IS NOT SERVICED OR REPLACED. d40 has no TIMING BELTS. TIMING CHAINS ARE NOT SERVICED.
if you still disagree go on and waste your money at they end of the day i dont give a damn. no offence.

Aren't those two pages only showing maintenance schedule up to 80 000 k's ?

Either way, obviously you wouldn't change the pump or chains periodically, but I haven't looked at what my service booklet says.

I don't think anyone has said that the pump or chains should be changed periodically, only that their service booklet says so.

Timing Chains

Here are a few pics of some of the components remove from my Thai 10/11 D40 auto While there is some animated discussion about servicing the chains we must all realize that the YD25 is NOT a perfect engine and its Achilles heel is the timing chains. As all parts wear at varying degrees and wear more quickly when not serviced or abused it is quite apparent that the chain set up needs to be inspected and most probably replaced around 100K Miles or here in OZ at 160K kilometers. From what I found and read failure to at least check will most probably result in a chain failure with a repair bill of up to 10K.Should you buy a secondhand motor check/change the chains before the motor is installed or it'll be groundhog day.
pics 1&2 show the wear and damage on the guide by both the chain [2] and tensioner [1] The wear marks on the fuel pump sprocket speak for themselves! Grumbo's top tip of the day if it rattles get it fixed!!!!
Regards Grumbo

Attachments

• DSCN0091[1].JPG
    DSCN0091[1].JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCN0090[1].JPG
    DSCN0090[1].JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN0089[1].JPG
    DSCN0089[1].JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 78
This is from my 2004 zd30 manual. I read it as " replace the belt/s that drive the cams and fuel pump." not "replace the belt and fuel pump."
ZD30 doesn't even have belts / chains , it's gear driven! The manuals are pretty generic.

Attachments

• belt replacement.jpg
    belt replacement.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 34
This is from my 2004 zd30 manual. I read it as " replace the belt/s that drive the cams and fuel pump." not "replace the belt and fuel pump."
ZD30 doesn't even have belts / chains , it's gear driven! The manuals are pretty generic.

yes thats the book i'm talking about, not a pdf download. i agree now. having looked at it from your perspective,but in saying that,nissan must be a bit specific towards the diesel engine as they have included the injection pump.they should have,either,omitted that line or called them chains..i wonder if they throw one of these books in their electric cars.ha,ha.

Latest posts

Back