Diesel pump chain snap

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonathon9214

Reaction score
Hi there has anyone's diesel pump chain snapped and if so how hard is it to replace
Thanks in advance

^ There are two chains on the D40, the primary (lower) chain drives the vacuum and fuel pumps, the secondary (higher) chain is driven from the fuel pump sprocket and turns over the camshafts.

Dropping either chain stops the camshafts and that's the danger, because chances are there'll be a valve down as the cams slow to a stop - and when the piston comes back up, it'll slam into the valve. Several things can (and often do) happen at this point. The valve bends, ruining the valve, valve seat and/or guide and potentially the head, possibly damaging the cam or the camshaft (at least the bearings should be replaced if it measures within spec). The piston can crack, the bore can be gouged, the conrod can bend, the big end can break, the main bearings can warp.

Timing chain breaks can require a complete rebuild of the motor. If you're not doing it yourself (complex task) it can run into 5 figures easily. Just replacing the timing chains (which you'll have to do during the rebuild) will set you back $3K.

Thanks old tony so I'm looking at a new motor? Shit I was hoping it wouldn't be so bad being that it was the bottom chain but it looks like I'm up for a lot of money

It depends, but the engine needs to be carefully inspected to be sure. The intake and exhaust manifolds can come off and you can stuff an inspection camera in each to see the condition of the valves. If none of the valves have been smacked by a piston (there are 16 valves, 2 per port) then it's time to NOT buy a lottery ticket - you've already used up all your luck, don't bother wasting money on the ticket! It would mean that your engine survived by a miracle. Replace the chains and off you go again.

That's so rare though, you'd probably find rocking horse droppings on the floor first.

Inspect first. There's no way of knowing otherwise.

Worst case: try this one. Don't just buy it - I don't know what year your car is, or whether it's 126kW or 140kW. Get something close to your car's age to minimise expense.

Ok, no need to answer that, the link I sent you is to a engine reconditioning service at Yennora in Sydney. Give them a call and ask them what it'd cost (engine removal and refitting is extra, oil is extra etc).

Just for our reference, could you let us know whether your car is Spain or Thai build (VSK or MNT chassis number)

They changed the chain on the Spanish build in 2010 to use the same chain as the Thai one, I don't think we have any reports so far of snapped chains on Thai built Navaras, but at least one member has had a noisy one replaced.

primary timing chain

As a newbie and a newbie D40 10/11 auto Thai owner I've booked the beast in for a duplex conversion next week--old Tony's on the money as I've been quoted around 3K. I'll post a report on the chain conditions once the job is done.
my main concern is a chain rattle that goes away with the build up of oil pressure--a bit exey but heaps better than a new/rebuild. The D40 has 167000K's I've put it on 5w30 fully syn but only f**k knows whats been in it.
Grumbo

As a newbie and a newbie D40 10/11 auto Thai owner I've booked the beast in for a duplex conversion next week--old Tony's on the money as I've been quoted around 3K. I'll post a report on the chain conditions once the job is done.
my main concern is a chain rattle that goes away with the build up of oil pressure--a bit exey but heaps better than a new/rebuild. The D40 has 167000K's I've put it on 5w30 fully syn but only f**k knows whats been in it.
Grumbo

Are you referring to the 1 second or so of rattle you get on a cold start ? They do that from brand new, it does use a oil-pressure chain tensioner, so it makes sense that it has to build pressure before it will tension the chain.

$3k is a lot of cash if it doesn't need doing, would be interested to hear about the condition of your old chain once it's done. Make sure to ask the mechanic to keep all the old parts so you can have a look at them.

Timing Chains

Righto will do The noise is similar to what we used to call the Toyota death rattle back in the 70's and until the oil pressure built up the chain rattled like buggery-new tension fixed problem , 3k may seem a bit dear but when compared to the alternatives its cheap insurance-just like normal servicing which many people don't do then bitch about the cost of fixing a huge problem instead of regular services which actually-- if performed by trade qualified people-- will save money. The biggest problem in the Auto industry today is the lack of REAL qualified people as unqualified staff are cheaper to employ and by using unqualified staff the unscrupulous can weasel out of consumer affairs problems by simply saying that the person doing the job did it to the best of his ability but as he's not qualified-stiff.
Grumbo

Sorry about the late reply it is a Spanish one and it 200 000 on the clock

Bugger, if you had joined the forum earlier, you would probably have been advised to have it checked / replaced around those k's.

Anyway, let us know how it goes when you get it inspected.

g'day all, new here. i wish i had joined forum earlier, my 08 nissan d22 2.5 cr stx pooed itself last week at 160,000k [timing chain].it has a yd25 engine which is also in some d40s but slightly modified.i have a couple of questions,if anyone can answer for me
1-anyone know where the JN1 [engine prefix #] is made and/or any differences to the VSK/MNT models
2-in the service/warranty booklet at the 100,000k maintenance page it says to change timing BELT .do other peoples booklet [on other models] say this or has nissan corrected it's wording. note! i have done all servicing myself after warranty expired and when this service was due i knew it did'nt have a BELT but i got my wife to inquire anyway [she worked at the nissan dealership where we brought car new] and they confirmed no belt so i disregarded this part of service thinking it must be for overseas models.so beware all if you have the yd25 engine ,get it checked...thanks..den..

g'day all, new here. i wish i had joined forum earlier, my 08 nissan d22 2.5 cr stx pooed itself last week at 160,000k [timing chain].it has a yd25 engine which is also in some d40s but slightly modified.i have a couple of questions,if anyone can answer for me
1-anyone know where the JN1 [engine prefix #] is made and/or any differences to the VSK/MNT models
2-in the service/warranty booklet at the 100,000k maintenance page it says to change timing BELT .do other peoples booklet [on other models] say this or has nissan corrected it's wording. note! i have done all servicing myself after warranty expired and when this service was due i knew it did'nt have a BELT but i got my wife to inquire anyway [she worked at the nissan dealership where we brought car new] and they confirmed no belt so i disregarded this part of service thinking it must be for overseas models.so beware all if you have the yd25 engine ,get it checked...thanks..den..

Chassis numbers starting with J is Japan country of origin, some bad luck there, as the D22's don't seem to have anywere near the number of failures of the D40s

there is no need to change or check anything the service book says timing belt because its shared across like 5-6 engines used in the d22.

there is no need to change or check anything the service book says timing belt because its shared across like 5-6 engines used in the d22.
hi stelianos, i am curious as to why your amazed, in my book it says,
gasoline engine--replace timing belt
in the diesel section--it says - replace timing belt and injection pump.
was the d22 released with a diesel engine fitted with a timing belt? i'm not sure, may'be i'm stupid for not interpreting [ timing belt into camshaft timing chain ] and in my years of mechanical experience, i have never heard of a timing CHAIN having to be replaced at a piss poor 100,000ks,but 1 thing i am sure of is there are hundreds ,if not thousands of nissan owners who, are, have been, or will be, in the same boat as me atm. i won't even comment on your first paragraph...no offence intended..den..

Latest posts

Back