Daytime Running Lights

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy the Kid

Reaction score
Hi fellow forum members. Am new to the forum and would like to see if someone can help with wiring up daytime running lights. From what I have read they can be run during the day time but must go off when lights are switched on at night time. I have a relay wired to my Anderson plug for caravan fridge and cigarette lighter socket in tub which isolates when the ignition is switched off. My question is how do I turn the running lights off other than putting an isolation switch in the circuit so that I manually switch them off.

D40 STX
White
Hard Lid
Factory Nudge Bar

Welcome to the forums buddy,

You could perhaps power your relay off the headlight circuit, make sure the relay has a normally 'closed' contact, so when the headlights are off the 'unpowered' relay is closed giving power to the day lights, and so when you turn the headlights on it engages the relay which opens the circuit turning off the day lights. Hoped that helped mate

First diagram is for DAY LIGHTS ON, the relay you need to buy will have to have 'normally closed' contacts, so when the relay is de-energised the contacts are closed creating a complete circuit. You will need to find an unswitched positive source obviously post ignition, e.g, taken off a fuse or incoming side of a switch which will connect to one end of the relay contact. The other end will be the positive going direct to your day light. The coil side of the relay has to get its positive from the SWITCHED POSITIVE of the headlight toggle switch, where you pick this up is entirely up to you. Then obviously the other side of the coil goes to negative.

img005pv.jpg

Last edited:
This diagram is for HEADLIGHTS ON, once you turn the toggle switch on you close that circuit which turns on the headlights. And now with our additional wiring we have created a parallel path that engages the relay coil OPENING the DAY LIGHT CONTACTS, which turns off the day lights. Hope thats helped, tried to draw and say it the simplest way I could. If you've got any more questions just post:rambo:

img004rs.jpg

Excuse me if this is obvious to everyone else, but what what is the point of this circuit? Why have daytime running lights? Surely the sun does a good enough job.

They're bright as f..., so hopefully all those blind pricks (aka volvo & territory drivers) can see you coming!

Excuse me if this is obvious to everyone else, but what what is the point of this circuit? Why have daytime running lights? Surely the sun does a good enough job.

I think some people think it looks cool?

each to there own i guess, was just helping the kid out

I wasn't be rude chap.
Just not the kind of thing I usually think for someone in a 4wd. Although I might be making a silly assumption.

Thanks for the replies, I live in the country and sometimes the conditions are so bad you need lights on during the day. I have nearly been T boned by drivers who use their mobile phones.

As from August 2012 all new cars in Europe will have to be fitted with daytime running lights.

Shortly after-which they'll be about as effective as Hi-Vis work wear lol.

Guess I'll have to get myself an orange flashing light to get noticed :hmpf::hmm:

I have to say i drive with my lights on, since fitting the turbo timer the buzzer doesnt remind me to turn them off so day time running lights would be helpful

Latest posts

Back