D40 snorkel install

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt87

Reaction score
Hey guys

Just installed my snorkel on my D40 stx, was quite easy. Just checking a few things, how does the snorkel get rid of water that enters the head such as driving rain and washing the car ,as it is now connected straight to the airbox so any water that enters would fill up the airbox.

The part in front of the airbox,( I think it's the air intake precleaner) is now redundant, is that alright?

Any help appreciated

Yer when the air goes in the front is a water separator then comes back around to a higher point where the air filter is.

Now it will go directly into the air filter chamber and it has a 1/4" hole below the bottom locating bolt.

*I'm going off my 2011 ST

Mine still has the drain hole in the bottom of the air box but the dealer pulled apart all the split ducting to & from the airbox & sealed with urethane. Otherwise the ducting leaks like a sieve.

So In theory I should still have the water separator in line, but that would make the idea of a snorkel useless as water would get in unless you replaced the air intake from those plastic Ones. Or is the drainhole in the bottom of the air box sufficient.

So is everyone else's snorkel still using there water separator, not straight into the airbox.

Could someone check how there's is done?

Mines still goes through the pre cleaner. i think this baffle is to stop sound resination back up the shorkle not stop water so i left none in when i sealed it up. I left a hole in the bottom to let any water out that can be taped up before any water crossings...

Mines still goes through the pre cleaner. i think this baffle is to stop sound resination back up the shorkle not stop water so i left none in when i sealed it up. I left a hole in the bottom to let any water out that can be taped up before any water crossings...

DOes yours now kinda sound like a siren with the baffle taken out, mine sounds like the cops are following me All the time

How did you guys attach your snorkel Plumbing to pre aircleaner plumbing as it would have to attatch to an odd shape original air cleaner?

Can you post a pic to show what you have done?
I'm straight into the filter box and I have no noise so curious on what you did

I went straight into the airbox and have no noise but it prob wouldn't bother me if I did, my real concern is where does the water go that enters the head of the snorkel if it is totally sealed pipe work straight into the airbox.

Will post pics later this afternoon

theoretically if its a safari..

air_ram1.jpg

if it somehow gets further and into the cr and kills the motor just throw down another $25k too easy :confused3:\

i might pull off the ram and see how high the internal pipe comes up...hopefully its high

Even though mine is not safari it has the same head with a similar picture to show the way water escapes.

Missus is driving the car can't get photos today

Looks factory when done... Just sika a 1" bead from pre cleaner lip around the foam and then press on to snorkle... Sorry d40ryan that should have read i left the baffles in in my previous post... i wanted it quiet...

Just tracked down some instructions for the airflow snorkel. It is said that the two pipes ( into the preaircleaner and out to the airbox Gould be disregarded.

If you use the nissan snorkel or airtec which is the same made by TJM the snorkel to airbox doesnt seal so you need to fabricate a piece from thr inner guard to the airbox and seal it with sikaflex so it is water tight including the holes and drains in the actual airbox.
I had a mate fabricate out of stainless steel tube an offset and sealed it to both inner guard and into airbox and now it works perfectly.

If Nissan fitted the snorkel beware it will not be water tight with the parts supplied. I was told it was designed for cold/clean air only not water crossings. I believe the Safari comes complete with the pieces you need to install correctly.

just an idea, if your worried about water getting in the airbox. some dirtbikes come with a small pinch tube for the crankcase breather, acts like a scupper on a boat, and are about 1/2" in diameter

Latest posts

Back