D40 power issue

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monnaz

Reaction score
Gday I’ve had my D40 for ages now and slowly it started no have a loss in power it seems it has no boost untill it’s warmed up but even after then it just blows a lot of black smoke and not much power. Once the car warms up it will stall while driving when I put the clutch in I’ve taken it to mechanics no one can find the problem the injectors have been replaced

Old tony will probably arrive with a bunch of details, but sounds like the boost control isn’t working as it should. In mine, that was as a result of failing vacuum hoses. It could also be the boast controller.

Indeed, the boost control is the first thing I'd suspect. Steps to test it:

1) Idle the engine, bonnet up. On the turbocharger is a round gold device with a black hose attached to its top. Underneath this gold device is an arm that should be moving if the engine is revved a little. If there's no movement at all, there's a vacuum failure at some point. If there IS movement, it's worth turning off the engine, taking the air intake off the turbocharger and checking the shaft for wobble, and remove the hose leading to the intercooler and examine the oily coating inside (wipe your finger on it, then check your finger under a bright light) looking for metallic powder. If the shaft wobbles or there's metal flecks in the oil inside that hose, the turbocharger may have worn (it won't provide boost if it can't spin well).

2) EGR valve may be faulty, opening too much. Many just block the EGR. The valve lives on the vehicle's right hand side, on the front end of the intake manifold. It has a gold-coloured tube that runs across the front of the motor and connects to the exhaust manifold. Blocking it is as easy as making a copy of the gasket on the valve and forgetting to include the large central hole, reassemble with sensor-safe gasket cement.

3) The intercooler could be gummed up - there's a cheap way to fix this. Remove it, put your hand over one opening to seal it, and pour petrol in the other end. Put your other hand on the open end, turn the intercooler over and release the (now) upper hand to relieve pressure. Repeat this a couple of times to swish the fuel through, then empty it and repeat until the fuel comes out with a bit of the colour it had when it went in.

That's a start which might point to the problem (boost control or turbocharger failure). There are options for both, get back to us and we'll see where to from here.

Back