D40 Newbie

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Escapee

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm new to Navara and new to diesel mechanics so I'll seem like a bit of a noob. Sorry in advance. I'll try and keep my dumb questions to a minimum.

We Just purchased a second hand 06 TD D40 Dual Cab. Trying to work my way around the engine bay right now to make sure all the servicing is up to scratch, but things are a little tight under there compared to the old GQ Patrol. If anyone has any servicing tips to save on labour it would be greatly appreciated. It took me over half an hour to figure out how to get the oil filter out and and the new one back in. Thank God my 8yo daughter was able to help :/ And it seems the manual isn't 100% accurate as the fuel filter in my D40 doesn't have a hand pump to bleed. Just have to wait and see what other differences there are.

Welcome to the forum!

I don't do my own servicing, so can't really help a lot there, but I do know that my primer bulb is in the fuel line and not part of the filter or pump assembly. It sort of hangs underneath in the line - unless yours was damaged and removed, rather than replaced. If that is the case, try not to run out of fuel! Nizzbits (a user on this forum) may be able to give you a reasonable price for a replacement.

Welcome Escapee to the forum.

lots of good people here, and plenty of advise to go around as well.

If anyone has any servicing tips to save on labour it would be greatly appreciated. It took me over half an hour to figure out how to get the oil filter out and and the new one back in. Thank God my 8yo daughter was able to help :/ And it seems the manual isn't 100% accurate as the fuel filter in my D40 doesn't have a hand pump to bleed. Just have to wait and see what other differences there are.

Welcome to the forums Escapee.

I've got an 09 and don't know how much difference there is between mine and yours but apart from the lack of room general servicing isn't that hard to do yourself. I agree the oil filter is a prick to get off the first time and I tried about 15 different ways to get in there before I settled on driving it over the pits and being able to stand up under the vehicle and doing it at full reach, laying under the thing just didn't cut it.

As far as the manual goes (I presume you mean the ESM available on the net) it's only accurate to a point due to the number of models it covers, however the differences in your fuel filter could easily be after market parts compared to OEM parts.

I'm not far from looking into making a collection of spare parts for mine but in initial research I have found that there is about 4 different companies who claim to make replacement fuel filters for the diesel and while they all fit they all have slightly different features, so the difference you're seeing could be something as simple as that.

Thank's Krafty. I tried a variety of filter tools, (strap, chain, clamp) but couldn't get most of them in there from the top and still have leverage. I don't have access to pits. I ended up getting to the filter with a special tool i bought years ago for my motorbike that has 3 fingers that tighten as you turn the ratchet. I was able to get in from the top and my 8yo passed me the new filter from the bottom. Lots of tiny movements but worth it in the end. So now that I know how to do it, changing the oil filter will be a 2 min job in the future.

The last time I did mine I thought I'd do it in the garage rather than over the pits, did the rest of the service no probs, then tried jacks, ramps and just about everything get at it from underneath because I couldn't get at it from the top and after 20 mins of stuffing around I gave up and drove it 17ks to the mates garage, over the pits, long welding glove on and removed the prick of a thing while it was still hot because I just wanted the job done. Next time I start and finish over the pit.

Welcome to the forum!

I don't do my own servicing, so can't really help a lot there, but I do know that my primer bulb is in the fuel line and not part of the filter or pump assembly. It sort of hangs underneath in the line - unless yours was damaged and removed, rather than replaced. If that is the case, try not to run out of fuel! Nizzbits (a user on this forum) may be able to give you a reasonable price for a replacement.

Thanks OldTony, you're a bloody legend. I have the primer bulb under my filter too. Pert near invisible and parked under the tree in the shade yesterday I couldn't see it, but now the sun is shining in there, stands out like you know what.

The very first time I changed my oil I got so frustrated that I took the plastic wheel guard off and got the the oil filter that way, the last couple of times I have kneeled on the top of my bullbar and reached down past the dip stick and used a filter wrench that is similar to multi grips, there isn't much room but it is possible and pretty much the only option if your not able to take it over a pit, I usually end up with a few small scratches because it is bloody tight but its gets the job done :)

Changing the oil turned out to be a royal pain because of the filter position. Washing out the air filter box turned out to be even worse because of the mounting bolt underneath that can only juuuuuuuuuuuuust be reached and has no suitable guide to start it.

Can anyone tell me. Am I going to run into any difficulties changing the fuel filter, transmission and transfer case oil or the brake fluid? (Brake fluid I'll do in a month or so when i change all the pads and hone the discs)

I think you'll find the fuel filters biggest pain is the cost, however you can buy genuine ones from a Nissan dealer off ebay for about half the $160 odd that Nissan charge, I think last time the topic came up the ebay one was even cheaper than most aftermarket ones.

I haven't changed the transmission oil but you need a 10mm spanner to check the levels and the place I brought mine from claims "oil for life" on the trannie, they check it as per scheduled but they don't replace it very often.

I also have changed the brake fluid but checking, testing, adjusting the brakes is pretty much like any other car. I think you'll find the ESM for the 05-09 models will be fairly close on the brakes.

Latest posts

Back