D40 long range fuel tank

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macca85

Reaction score
Hey Guys, just wanted to know if anyone has a long range tank fitted to their D40, what brand they are and all that type of info. I'm looking at replacing my factory tank with something a little bigger for the longer trips and just not sure on which brand to go with.

Cheers

Wade

I've had a LongRanger fitted to mine - an extra 70L. It's a metal fuel tank that bolts in behind the factory one.

The ONLY issue that you could have with it is that your fuel gauge shows no change at all from full until it starts using the fuel from your original tank.

I don't think I'd make a different choice, though. Workmanship is excellent. The tank sits clear of everything - it doesn't hang low or change my departure angle.

I had an ironman 145l replacement tank in mine. I was really happy with it. You would do a couple of hundred before it moved off full as it uses the original sender. Great value for money and they don't sit any lower than the existing tank. A fair bit cheaper than the other brands.

I have and Opposite Lock 160ltr replacement tank in my D40. No complaints really but as it uses the OEM sender unit it is about 400km before the gauge moves off full. Not a problem for me as I monitor the litres remain via Scangauge.

Thanks for the info guys. Will make some enquiries and see what i come up with.

Cheers

I will be getting a 125L auxilary 'plastic' tank, that'll give me 200L all up. I'll need to manually transfer from the aux tank into the main but I can't see that as a problem when you consider the cost of the tank is only around $350!

Also when I sell the Nav, I can rip the tank out and use it my next vehicle, 125L is a big tank in any vehicle.

siringo said:
I will be getting a 125L auxilary 'plastic' tank, that'll give me 200L all up. I'll need to manually transfer from the aux tank into the main but I can't see that as a problem when you consider the cost of the tank is only around $350!

Also when I sell the Nav, I can rip the tank out and use it my next vehicle, 125L is a big tank in any vehicle.

Tell me more about!

what is your plan for transfer and fill plumbing Siringo?

A transfer pump and an extra filler?

Yep that's about it. I saw a video ad someplace last week for a pump that runs off 12v doing exactly that, syphoning out of a large secondary tank, right into the main tank. Even if that pump costs $300 (I don't know what it costs) it's still half the cost of a long range tank AND you can use it all in another vehicle.

The mob I posted the link to sell pumps and fittings to do all this.

Interesting...

I guess the things to look at are:
what size tank will fit (there is a space under the tub)
How to fit the tank
Where to fit the additional filler

Then it should be easy enough to plumb the transfer pump up to fill the original tank (when you flick switch)

I have seen a similar setup in an F250 that has tanks built into the side steps, the only hassle he has is that the side step tanks are larger than the factory tank, so you need to remember to turn the transfer pump off, or you end up spraying diesel out of the breather.

Latest posts

Back