D40 Front Lokka

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it only comes on when in 4x4 and accelerating, let off the gas and it unlocks.
No stuffing around waiting for it to engage, its always there when needed no fuss.

Will be giving it a good test in a few weeks in Qld on Moreton island, then in the Glasshouse mountains

let me know how u go , people are saying you have to take it easy what happens when u just cruising in 4wd high going it abit faster on the gravel ??

just looking for more info

If your in 4hi chances are you dont really need 4x4 but it does handle a little different nothing bad just let off into a corner and ease back on it out

it only comes on when in 4x4 and accelerating, let off the gas and it unlocks.
No stuffing around waiting for it to engage, its always there when needed no fuss.

The lokka is a 'permanently locked' diff lock and only unlocks when it requires differential action to occur. i.e. cornering. Power applied through the drivetrain assists in the locking force but it will still unlock if it needs to.
If you are driving in a straight line down the highway (even in two wheel drive) the 'lokka' is locked.

Foxy

My old R50 pathfinder had permanent locked diffs and that you knew about, you could feel it jumping around carrying on trying to turn the simplist of corners, always chewing out tyres and leaving black marks in and out the driveway etc this i dont even know is there until in 4x4

Confused lol so it's always locked? It's my everyday work car not sure if it will suit me

Does any one have a front Lokka in a d40 5 speed Automatic. (with the 3.538:1 diff ratio as std). I was under the impression only the 6 speed manuals (with a 3.692:1 diff ratio) had a suitable lokka available.?

Thanks
_

Last edited:
Hi Raptorthumper,

I have 3.53.. ratio as I just blew my front diff. I have had an Harrop Elocker fitted to it. Just got to get the switch installed tomorrow.

Mine is a 2012 D40 STX with the V6 V9X diesel engine, but a friend has an auto 2.5. I will probably go for an e-locker from harrop for mine, just for the front. I'd love to know if anyone has a 550 or STX V6 with the e-locker for the front fitted.

I think I need part no. A11525 from harrop's E-locker guide below.

http://www.harrop.com.au/pdf/130613_Harrop_ELocker_Guide.pdf

_

Last edited:
Tony,

I just ordered a front Harrop e-locker today for mine (part No. A11525). It's costing me $1650 delivered to Mt Isa, so not cheap. I will be installing it myself and intend to do an install thread with plenty of pics soon.

The reason that I was interested in the LOKKA, was because I was toying with the idea of buying a second hand D40 front diff out of a 2.5 auto (so therefore a 3.54:1 ratio front diff) that I could get for $300. Since the carrier out of the 2.5 is a 2 pinion and is the same dimensions as my 3.133:1 diff (I think), I could have installed the carrier from that, to my gears and fitted a LOKKA for $600 which would mean it would have cost me $900 all up. (keeping my std 3.133:1 gears inside). The 550 and STX with the V6 engine have a 4 pinion carrier and a LOKKA is not available for them.

Both Harrop and ARB state 2 different design diff locks for the D40. One suits 3.69 and up gears and the other for 3.54 and down. That says to me that their are 2 different carrier sizes to cater for the different sized crown wheels, which makes sense. Their is probably some people on here who have fitted either an e-locker or air locker to their auto D40, that have their old, open center carrier lying around in their shed. Wouldn't mind measuring one up and comparing to the 550 4 pinion carrier.

Anyway cost aside, I reckon the e-locker will be great. Not looking forward to the install but am looking forward to the playing.!

_

Last edited:
The photo's below are ones I found on frontier forum of an ARB air locker install into a 3.54:1 auto front diff.

fd1.jpg

fd2.jpg

fd3.jpg

fd4.jpg

_

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back