D40 DIY service

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NevTheNav

Reaction score
Hey guys, thought I'd start a thread that can work as a guide for me and any other less-than-experienced home mechanics. I'm planning on doing all my own services (all the minor ones at least) for obvious financial reasons and also to get a better understanding of the car I'm driving, and was hoping for some pointers. There's the obvious oil and air filter change etc, but what other things do you guys check over and replace on your cars.
Thanks guys!

Download the user & service manual. Almost any basic service procedure is written there.

Equip yourself with tools

Follow the service interval

For replacing fuel filters, fabricating this DIY tool could save you time and eliminate the use of priming bulb.

sdmskn.jpg

14aegyf.jpg

2r4r7ua.jpg

foiryt.jpg

Do your own filter analysis. This opened cans shows how asphaltines and wax buildup in the filter element after 10k kms. This is one way of knowing how you should often replace filters, and the cleanliness of pumps around you.

2lvfzfs.jpg

For oil filtration, better if you could send oil samples to the lab to determine how TBN and lubricity degrades. That will determine how much longer you could use the oil. Oil test strips are becoming availalble that could be cheaper than doing the lab.

Additional to regular 5K service items:

-Check the condition of front CV joint boots
-Check condition of steering rack boots
-Check condition of ball joints and boots
-Grease rear shackles (if equipped with greasable items)
-Grease driveshaft uni's (if equipped with greasable items)
-Check tow bar mounting bolts

In addition to 10K items:
-Clean and lubricate door latches and strikers
-Rotate tyres
-Check condition of brake pads and rear shoes

Pretty much though, every 5k I give the vehicle a thorough once-over. It only takes half an hour to go from the front of the vehicle to the back and eyeball most things. If it doesn't look right, give it a hit, check it's torque, check for tears etc (as relevant). Many maintenance items can be tackled by simple inspection - what has changed between the last inspection and now.

For the air filter, regular inspection should be made for clogging.

1692ufs.jpg

Clogged filter is one cause of Engine limping due to collapsed intake hose. Compared to fluid filters, air filters are single pass and do better filtration when stuffed with soil(at a certain level), you could clean it and re-use. If oil from air pollution is the contaminant, this is where the filter element gets really clogged and cannot be cleaned, thats the time you should replace it. Inspect also the rubber sealing, some cheap filters does not sit well in the airbox causing dirt to leak that may dmage the turboe.

For coolant flushing

Removing the Front Left wheel will give you better access to the engine drain plug, and if you need to remove the 3-bolts of the thermostat its very accessible in that spot.

Use only premix coolant as possible because using your own distilled water could introduce contamination like minerals that's not supposed to be in the distilled water of unknown source.

For brakes and clutch

Regularly stock cans of brake cleaner. Cleaning should be more frequent if you do lots of dunking in the mudwater.

Keep an eye on the front caliper sliding pins as they really gets corroded and gets stuck. Use only silicone to lubricate brake parts as the petrol-based lube could bloat the rubbers and eventually leak the seals.

Bleed/ flush brakes and clutch as frequently as required.

Brake oil fluid being hygroscopic do accumulates water in time. Water being denser than brake fluid has the tendency of logging at the buttom of the brake/clutch system. No bleeding or flushing and do expect corrosion damage in the pistons.

do the new d40 have any grease nipples in stock form eg uni joints bearings ect or are they all sealed? havnt looked yet but thought this saves me going to have a look

i do manual transmission and transfer case, as well, just did vacuum hoses, they where very straight forward, my nav is an 07 and no grease nipples

basically if your handy with tools, and have a very basic toolkit there's not alot you can't do, a set of metric spanners and 1/4 drive sockets, screwdriver etc you can do most anything, if you want to do stuff like diy your own suspension you'll need some bigger spanners and a half inch ratchet, from memory, 17,18, 19, 20 and 22 mm (plus some 1/4 drive stuff for little nuts and bolts), spring compressor and bigger hammers/ ball joint splitters and time

some of those torx screwdrivers if your getting fancy (the star point ones), and if your doing interior stuff some trim tools (a good flatblade screwdriver possibly here) and be gentle, once you get it apart you'll see how easy it is

remember the car was designed to be assembled in about a day, so its all modular, with clips and bolts, the trick is figuring out what part to take off first to find those little bastard hidden screws. (i've had cause to get good enough to strip the drivers side door down in about 3 min, its like a snap together model airplane )

i draw the line when i start needing big stuff like shop presses, hoists and big specialty equipment

and remember this forum has a wealth of info of people like you who like to look after their navs

Latest posts

Back