D40 cold rattle

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timberwolf

Reaction score
Gday guys & girls. My last topic was about the dredded timing chain in my D40, its been since replaced with the YD25 kit.
After the work was done it sounded & ran well, i was advised to comeback after 1500ks to change the oil, but a few days after that service it started rattling again, but once it warmed up it was fine. They put a Sakura oil filter on it & the way it sounded it was like they either put the wrong oil in or a faulty filter. Once the oil warmed up & thinned the motor runs fine. He put a genuine filter on it & the sounds were no where near as bad, but still rattles.

The sounds dont sound like the timing chain, like a tappet rattle.

Im only new at Diesel motors its my first deisel, i bought it from new it now has 140,000ks on it, when it was new the cold motor did not rattle. The head was also reconditioned when the timing was done. Apparently the valve guides were unusually warn?

Oil is 5W-30 in it. Is it normal for it to rattle when cold? During the day it wont rattle even if its been sitting for 8-10hrs, but when its been sitting overnight & its cold the motor sounds crook first thing? But work this one out, if its been undercover like a cold car park all night, it wont rattle?

The car is allways kept outside.

Just a thought- was the fuel filter replaced during the same service? If so was it also an aftermarket brand? It almost sounds like air is getting into the fuel system overnight, which can cause a cold (injector) rattle. There have been plenty of reports on this forum of aftermarket fuel filters (especially on the YD25's) not sealing properly and letting air into the fuel system.

Just a thought- was the fuel filter replaced during the same service? If so was it also an aftermarket brand? It almost sounds like air is getting into the fuel system overnight, which can cause a cold (injector) rattle. There have been plenty of reports on this forum of aftermarket fuel filters (especially on the YD25's) not sealing properly and letting air into the fuel system.
Your correct it was replaced, but i have no idea on brand, it wouldnt be genuine. I had an issue before xmass with another non genuine fuel filter, it would start then stall every morning, once i took it back to Nissan they put a genuine filter on & it was 100%.

No it's not right. No service will do anything to the chains and if this occurred after this you need to ask the manager what they did.
I dont believe its the timing chain because that would rattle all the time, it sounds more like its in the head like no oil, maybe an injector rattle. The only thing i can try like has been said is to change the fuel filter back to genuine.

The puzzle deepens I cannot think how the fuel filter will contribute to a rattle. After every change the ecu needs to be reset to allow for the fuel flowing faster.

The puzzle deepens I cannot think how the fuel filter will contribute to a rattle. After every change the ecu needs to be reset to allow for the fuel flowing faster.
There was also a whistle when you reved the motor, my mechanic said it was the turbo, turns out it was just a screw on one of the pipes coming from the turbo was loose letting sounds out, it is 100% now. Also had the engine light coming on when starting up, it was a sensor plug not in properly. Some of the most worrying of things can be fixed via something simple.
So who knows, your guess is as good as mine?

Is it parked on a flat or a hill overnight? Mine rattles like a bastard for about 2 seconds if I park it out front of the garage ( on a slight slope) overnight. If I park it in the garage (flat floor) it's as quiet as a mouse.

Is the rattle only there between 1500 and 2500ish rpm under moderate load. Goes away if you take your foot off the gas and coast. Does it get louder as you ease off the power for example when cresting a hill. If so it will be injectors. Try a purge first but at 140k they are getting towards the end of thier 'quietlife' mine got noisey after 147k and still have to do them. New ones sitting in the garage...
Oddly mine went noisey shortly after the timing chain was done too, just mileage related coincidence i think.

Is there a chance this is the upper timing chain tensioner. Non genuine ones have been known to fail prematurely.

When faulty the oil pressure bleeds out overnight so when the engine is first started it allows the upper tensioner guide to flap about making quite a racket until the oil pressure builds up.

Use a long handled screwdriver like a stethoscope to listen to the noise in the top of the front cover.

If you suspect it is this remove it to test (don't forget to pin back the plunger. Once off the engine remove the plunger (catching the spring). Fill the cylinder with engine oil and push the plunger back in with your thumb, if oil weeps out of the feed hole at the back, the tensioner is knackered.

2014-08-06162523-2_zpsb1125d00.jpg

Latest posts

Back