D40 4wd hi and low

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toffa

Reaction score
Hi guys, just want some feed back on what your d40's do when in 4wd hi and low! Mines a 2013 manual 2.5 diesel, had it in low range trying to pull the boat up the ramp! Took off and it revved to about 3000rpm but was only crawling.. Is this correct?... Then I've also had it in 4wd hi and it pulls it up the ramp easily but trying to turn corners it doesn't want to turn feels like the wheels are grabbing.. Then try taking it out of 4wd, it just flashes and won't go to 2wd.. Have to drive forward 20-30m before it disengages! But before it disengages and I try to take off, the car doesn't want to move.. It struggles to take off? Could there be a problem?

Sounds perfectly fine to me.

4LO is a very low gear, designed to give you loads of torque to move the vehicle with much less strain on the motor.

When you're in 4WD, there's no "limited slip" between the front and rear axles. If you turn the steering wheel to the left, your back left wheel will turn over much less than your front right wheel, and on a firm surface this causes the transmission to bind up - the car will feel heavier. This is why it feels "grabby". It's also the reason why it doesn't disengage straight away - with the transmission in tension, the servo won't pull the connection between the front and rear.

Either mode is only really supposed to be used in low-traction environments.

Toffa,
Sounds normal to me for a D40.
But please try NOT to turn the steering wheel when in 4HI or 4LO on concrete to tar. It makes the Transfer case and other components "wind up" as they call it. The effects of which as you have experienced are that the vehicle takes longer to dis-engage the 4wd components.
Also it can cause excessive wear if done regularly as you describe. 4wd is really for dirt/off road grass, mud etc. Not tar or concrete of boat ramps when turning off a straight line.

Best advice i can give you is to read the owner's manual about the 4wd systems in the D40.

Ok thanks guys, I'm pulling a 2 tonne boat up the ramp so I engage 4wd. I no it shouldn't be used on high traction surfaces.. Is there anyway to avoid wind up? Would you keep car in 2wd and try pull it up?

you should be able to pull it out in 2nd low and just take it easy, nice and slow. revert back to 2wd asap, as soon as the top of the ramp comes..
I try to use Low as little as possible but I know it can be dawnting with a heavy ass boat in the water..

There is no problem with putting it in L4 as long as you DONT steer and just go straight, if you do that you wont get "bind up", that only occurs due to the wheels turning at diifferent speeds from having too much traction and not allowing the inside wheel to skid a little like it does on loose surfaces.
I have to do it when towing my sisters 2tonne massive ski boat to get it back into her shed, if i dont i will burn the Dual mass clutch up in a minute flat.

As i said it wont hurt as long as you are not tuning to much or too sharp on hard high traction surfaces, if its all wet and slimy or has some loose gravel you wont hurt it at all.

Pretty much as all of the above. I can understand you wanting to use 4low on the boat ramp. The torque multiplication effect of low range will help save your clutch no end. BUT- straight line only, only to the top of ramp level surface, then stop, then back into 2WD.

I can not see the point of using 4WD High in this situation. It's the straight off idle low down grunt your looking for, not the traction.

Hi toffa check in your owners manual I'm pretty sure you got to turn the vdc switch off or something like that when you use 4wd other wise it will grab and won't want to move. The dealer warned me of this the day I picked my d40, I have no problem pulling my boat up the ramp and turning on the tar. Cheers hope this helps

4 low will grab in with vcd off or on. Try 2wd then go to 4low the lsd will do a pretty good job draging your boat up the ramp. I got me up a bloody steep wet grass hill with a car trailer and vs stato on the back

Latest posts

Back