D22 STR Turbo Timer ??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'Day all, Installed my Boggard timer today, easy as no unscrewing just plag n play and find an earth under the dash. Works perfect with factory remote central locking.....no problems! Wouldn't find connecting to hand brake cable if I could find it as Timer has Park Brake Alarm built in.
(Does anyone know where the hand brake cable/loom runs and what colour the wires are at all?)

I didnt worry about hooking mine up to the hand brake, from memory just put it where i put the earth. But i dont think mine has an alarm

can someone please take a photo of where the turbo timer plugs into your car?

i cant find a plug to hook it up to? hmm

also laith, can you please put up a pic of your ebay TT and connections? probably going to need it if i cant afford or find a boggard TT

highly appreciated,
cheers all

Last edited:
can someone please take a photo of where the turbo timer plugs into your car?

i cant find a plug to hook it up to? hmm

also laith, can you please put up a pic of your ebay TT and connections? probably going to need it if i cant afford or find a boggard TT

highly appreciated,
cheers all

There is no set plug, you have to hard wire it yourself.

No need to remove any covers, just under the steering column is the ignition wiring loom, unplug it put Boggard timer inline with that, same plugs. Just need to find an earth under there somewhere and thats it, easy as that. Took me about 15 minutes all up ! Worth the money.

hey guys,
got a 2nd hand bogaard today and there are 4 wires.

black = earth
red = positive (i believe)
blue
white

and thats all i could figure out.

anyone know what colour wires i should hook each wire up to in the ignition area?

cheers

Just wanted to throw it out there, have you considered an pyrometer on exhaust and oil. will avoid unnecessary idling that could cause glazing on your linners and carbon build up on your valves

well i just sorted out the turbo timer and the alarm works fine.

emailed bogaard last night and got an email this morning, emailed them midday and got an email this arvo. bloody good service i reckon!

un-necessary idling? hmm, i should stop getting in traffic jams in that case XD

Just wanted to throw it out there, have you considered an pyrometer on exhaust and oil. will avoid unnecessary idling that could cause glazing on your linners and carbon build up on your valves

Very possible to add these capibilities to a turbo timer. [but no-one currently does it :(]

If you have electronic sensors (ie 5V signal wire) someone like jaycar could probably make a kit that would take all the guess work out of the timer.

For example; The timer would read:
1. EGT
2. Oil Temp
3. Water temp.
etc (any others that you wanted)

And you could set (or be set in timer) specific values you wanted it to turn the vehicle off at.

Ie; the timer will only shutdown if: Egt below 'X' degC and Oil Temp below 'Y' degC and Water temp. below 'Z' degC.

Shame no-one makes such a timer....

I've always been taught that to shut down the diesels at work that the Oil Temp and Coolant temp should be below 75
The EGT's should be at an acceptable level by then.

A good rule to follow when shutting down your engine is that your coolant temp and oil temp shouldn't raise more than 5 degrees.

You've got me thinking now about the way to get a turbo timer to only shut down the engine once the right criteria are met.
You would have to make it so that it kept the ignition circuit open until the temps were below the user set level. Sort of like a pressure switch on at a set temp and of at a set temp.

You could get around it by setting the turbo timer to run for the period required to bring these temps back down. You would need to be able to read the oil and coolant temps as well as your EGT.

Simply go for a normal drive and then once in a suitable place (home?) let the engine idle till the temps are down and time how long it takes. Then set the turbo timer to run for that time.

You could also do the same test after really working the engine (like after towing). The amount of time shouldn't change enough though to worry about changing the turbo timer setting.

You could get around it by setting the turbo timer to run for the period required to bring these temps back down. You would need to be able to read the oil and coolant temps as well as your EGT.

Simply go for a normal drive and then once in a suitable place (home?) let the engine idle till the temps are down and time how long it takes. Then set the turbo timer to run for that time.

You could also do the same test after really working the engine (like after towing). The amount of time shouldn't change enough though to worry about changing the turbo timer setting.

Too many variables to make it work properly. Imagine you set the think up at 25deg C then you go on a big trip to darwin in summer. Aint gonna cool it down enough.

Need an intellegent system! (one that does the thinking for us)

Could be done with electronic gauges. Once you work out what individual temp you want it to turn off at, you can look up the corresponding voltage the sensor puts out.

Using these:
Browser Warning

therefore once each sensor drops below the specific voltage it turns the power off. Maybe somethink like the wiring diag, below could work

The timer function would become redundant and therefore not needed.

Cost about $80ish per sensor monitored
http://store.autospeed.com/Items/22876?&caSKU=22876&caTitle=eLabtronics Voltage Switch - Prebuilt

Attachments

• Turbo timer idea.jpg
    Turbo timer idea.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 1,651
Last edited:
Too many variables to make it work properly. Imagine you set the think up at 25deg C then you go on a big trip to darwin in summer. Aint gonna cool it down enough.

Need an intellegent system! (one that does the thinking for us)

I was only suggesting a simple work around for people to use in the mean time. I understand that differences in ambient temperature will make a difference to the time it takes for your engine to cool down.

However there isn't a smart timer available yet, so the way I mentioned could be a short term help for some people.

As most peolpe know a turbo timer allows your engine to run for a pre-set time once the ignition circuit is turned off. The principle purpose of a turbo timer is to prevent damage to the turbo and exhaust manifold caused by shutting down the engine to soon. The idea is that by the time the turbo timer shuts the engine down the engine temp/ oil temp and EGT are down to an acceptable level.
However like everyone has said no turbo timer takes into account all the variables that change the amount of time it takes for your engine temps to reach a safe level.

Maybe somethink like the wiring diag, below could work

The timer function would become redundant and therefore not needed

I like the idea behind your wiring diagram. The only thing I would worry about is that without the timer in theory now some one wouldn't need the keys to steal your car if they were quick enough, cause as long as the engine was hot the car would keep running.

You would still need the timer. Just set a max time that you want the car to idle for.

I like the idea behind your wiring diagram. The only thing I would worry about is that without the timer in theory now some one wouldn't need the keys to steal your car if they were quick enough, cause as long as the engine was hot the car would keep running.

You would still need the timer. Just set a max time that you want the car to idle for.

Good point, didn't think of that. Limit the dumb theives to a 5 min joyride.

The only solution is a clublock!

Latest posts

Back