D22 3 l Diesel Turbo hoses

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mowerman

Reaction score
I'm new to this. Just paid Nissan $94 each for two small hoses to connect Turbo to manifold. Car has 60,000 km. Keeps blowing Turbo hoses off. They have an oily deposit internally. Anyone chance a diagnosis? The vehicle is used almost exclusively to tow a work trailer 1200kg. Never go over 4000 RPM. Any ideas. What sort of max kms can I expect out of this engine? (I have a 96 Hilux 2.4 petrol with 300,000kms still going strong. )

Thanks

Treated right should easily beat the hilux, its a little worrying that its blowing the hoses off.

How much boost you running, you need to fit a catch can aswell.

I paid $60 for enough hose from supercheap to change them 3 times.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the quick reply. I feel better already. (But not about paying the $206.80) Anyway the vehicle is stock standard. Should the inside of the turbo hose be oily? Where would it come from? vie the exhaust leaking back through turbo?
Thanks
Peter

Na its the oil coming from the breather from the rocker cover. Search catch cans on here and it catches the oil and stops it ending up in the intake.

I posted the hose part number in the D22 part number thread.

Good luck, you might need new clamps if its blowing the hose off, you can get better clamps for intercooler piping from auto places.

Dave.

Yeh I got hit with the $100 per hose and they don't even fit proper. The lower hose is too long so it doesn't fit square.

Sorry not quite sure what a catch can is? Pick up and consolodate oil mist from Rocker cover? Nissan? ARB? Supercheap?

DSC00061.jpg

See that anadised blue thing in the corner, thats a catch can.

I got mine from autobarn.

I collects the oil coming from the rocker cover into the intake, its an emissions thing.

Dave.

Ok that is helpful. My plumbing doesn't look quite like yours though. I just have a pipe straight out of the turbo, then a small hose, thenanother l shaped pipe over the motor a larger hose connects to inlet and that's it.

Mate I have put an intercooler kit on my Nav, thats why its different.

Check that D22 parts number thread for the part numbers on that silicon hose from supercheap.

Dave.

yes the main problem is the oil from the breather.
but i also would check what boost pressure your running. possibly a wastegate problem causing over overboost.
don't forget to change the hose clips. put some real ones on.
i shall see if i can put up some pics of the catch can in a mo

I am just wondering if the catch can collects all oil residue? I am also wondering if there is supposed to be oil mist to "lubricate" the turbo hence the location of the "inlet" prior to the turbo. If we remove all oil mist does this affect turbo life? I am thinking that the problem with the hoses swelling and coming off is more to do with a poor compositon in the original factory specs and that's why the replacements are so expensive.

Also Dave, I still need leading by the hand to find my way through the threads to find the part number you speak of. And a final question: Workshop Manuals for the D22 3 litre Diesel. Other than official Nissan is there one avail on line?

Many thanks

PS Tried all the searches I could think of then tried "Dave, Part Number" got it..... thanks

Last edited:
my basic filter setup in the catch can doesn't. it lets through a very very fine oil mist that you can just see if you get the light right.
the "provent" catch can is better but they are still not 100%.

lube the turbo? there is nothing to lube. oil mist will flow straight through and do nothing. if theres enough it will get blown onto the compressor wall, theres nothing that needs lubing. if anything the oil will decrease the turbo's life.

D22 runs 15+psi, fairly high boost. and its only got fairly basic hose clamps. but the big problem is the oil gets inbetween the hose and the pipe. thats what makes it slide off so easy. if you have no oil the hose sticks to the pipe and is a real ***** to get off.

Catch can continued

Thanks for that. Found this while "researching"

ZD30 Engine Problems

Several links around this quite interesting. Seems the main problem with oil is gunking the sensors...final result wrong combustion temperatures = premature piston failure. So I guess no oil better than current situation but catch can setup must not result in overpressuring the rocker cover/crankcase as only tears will result! Seems main idea is to use large diam hoses and fittings.

Thanks for that. Found this while "researching"

ZD30 Engine Problems

Several links around this quite interesting. Seems the main problem with oil is gunking the sensors...final result wrong combustion temperatures = premature piston failure. So I guess no oil better than current situation but catch can setup must not result in overpressuring the rocker cover/crankcase as only tears will result! Seems main idea is to use large diam hoses and fittings.

thats more to do with the patrol/terrano ZD30 which uses variable turbo.
navara isn't has bad but still some things can be taken from that, eg catch can and block egr.

as long as the filter is big enough so it doesn't block up its usually fine.
the provent is safer as it has bypass valves.

Ok silicon hose, turbo side part number is SC-45-blu. Cost $30 from supercheap auto. Special order, gonna order another as a spare.

Plenum side, cant find the reciept at the moment but on the hose on the barcode says CAL6363254. $30 from memory. Part number is 155208

Turbo side is 45mm, plenum side is 63mm. The plenum side piece of hose is enough to replace it 3 time's. The turbo side is a perfect fit for one use.

Boost gauge, Autometre. Autometre's part number is AU5404, only boost no vacumn and liquid filled and goes to 35psi. Autobarn's part number is EL06526. $180.00.

Pyrometre, Autometre. Autometre's part number is AU3344-M. Autobarn's part number is PE20875. Reads in celcuis and has a range of 0-900C. $380.00, thanks Kev for giving me some cash back. Even though its helping the American economy.

Plenty more but I gotta dig through my reciept's.

Dave.

Yes about 30 of us here have service manual's, I have to do some up as I have had stuff all time to do them. Women problems and so on, pm me your details and Ill try and get them done tomorrow.

Dave.

Latest posts

Back