Cigarette lighter plug

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hugh9359

Reaction score
Anybody know of a plug that's a bit more heavy duty than what most shops sell?Or aleast more heat resitant mine keeps melting or should I just change to Anderson plug.I am running into redarc 12v to 12v battery charger I think the 20amp one.Hugh

Most will only be rated for 10 amps, you should really fit an anderson plug and run decent cable

You can get them cheap as on ebay, compared to the prices ive found locally

Anybody know of a plug that's a bit more heavy duty than what most shops sell?Or aleast more heat resitant mine keeps melting or should I just change to Anderson plug.I am running into redarc 12v to 12v battery charger I think the 20amp one.Hugh

Why are you using a cig plug on a device that draws over 300 watts Hugh?, I'd be concerned about the potential fire risk associated with that, as Jarone said change over to anderson plugs asap with circuit breakers inline.

Why are you using a cig plug on a device that draws over 300 watts Hugh?, I'd be concerned about the potential fire risk associated with that, as Jarone said change over to anderson plugs asap with circuit breakers inline.

Me too that's why I am asking,i thought using a 20 amp plug would be fine as that's what it draws,and as I have it always pluged in it would never reach them amps?

One of the problems with cig plugs is the spring on the central pin tends to push the plug back out and leads to arcing & over heating.

There is a replacement (merit?) that actually latches in and stays. you need to replace socket, but I understand cig plugs still work in it.

Caveat, no idea of its capacity either.

I'm +1 on the Anderson Plugs. The basic grey is good up to 50Amps.

(If you're charging a battery, then a relay control and resettable fuse is recommended if this is running off the car supply. comes on when car batteries recharged after starting.

Also, make sure you are using real wiring and not car rated stuff.

I think merit sockets are rated at 15a from memory. But I wouldn't trust them either. I have had the tip end get that hot it started melting out of the plug and stopped supplying power on a 50l waeco fridge lead. That wasn't under a lot of load either, the fridge had been pre cooled on 240v, so it was just to maintain temp while in the car. I have now changed it to a 50a anderson plug instead.

You can get them fairly cheap off ebay, genuine ones as well as the chinese copies.

I think merit sockets are rated at 15a from memory. But I wouldn't trust them either. I have had the tip end get that hot it started melting out of the plug and stopped supplying power on a 50l waeco fridge lead. That wasn't under a lot of load either, the fridge had been pre cooled on 240v, so it was just to maintain temp while in the car. I have now changed it to a 50a anderson plug instead.

You can get them fairly cheap off ebay, genuine ones as well as the chinese copies.
That sucks with the waeco,i have no probs with 80L engel in cig lighter just want the battery box to keep it running 24/7 without affecting car batteries,you can get 20amp rated plugs with thermal plastic.Power to tub is rated at 50 amps with a relay,battery protection comes from both fridge & redarc charger.

Back