Chip or Intercool??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qlander

Reaction score
I think I'm going to like this place!! I have a 2005 Navara Dual Cab 4x4 3.0ltr Turbo (D22 motor) and am pleased with it. The only problem is that when I'm towing a boat or a van it lacks a bit of grunt. I've done some research into Chips and Intercoolers but seem to be getting more and more confused. Does anyone have any experience with either or both of these options? Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

The intercooler won't give you a huge boost of power but it will save you from an engine rebuild if your turbocharger self-destructs. Call that $1500 of insurance against a $15,000 repair bill and you get a bonus small (relatively speaking) performance gain out of it.

A chip will do wonders - you won't know your own car afterwards. Talk to Robert @ ChipIt or Lindsay @ Northside 4x4 who is up your way.

I agree with old tony.

I have a 3L D22 and hve mine intercooled and chiped. There was a small power increase in performance with the intercooler but not heaps. If you have ever spent $1000 on an exhaust for the power gain this is about what happens when you add an intercooler.

Add a chip and you will think you have got a different car. when i put mine in i was smiling from ear to ear for 3 weeks due to how nice the car was with the extra power.

On a recent gettogether in brisbane a few of the other guys had a drive of my car, Al got a chip the wek after i think, joshman said he was getting on for sure (dont know if he has yet).

If i got another NAV first mod would be exhaust (to keep the temps down in turbo)
2nd mod yould be a chip
then lift, tires . . .

Oh yeah and she tows my 5m fiberglass boat no problems now :)

What they said.

Exhaust and intercooler will make the EGT's lower.

Add more fuel and your near standard temps.

Makes sense to me.

Enjoy the forum mate.

. The only problem is that when I'm towing a boat or a van it lacks a bit of grunt.
Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

This is his query guys and I would recommend, yes an ex and IC, but those two wont give him the thing he needs for his power deficiency....a CHIP,

Latest posts

Back