Chip for 130 dollars!!!!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgermasi

Reaction score
I agree! Europe has tons of these available. ..I have one from tdc tech...was about that price but it came from the states.i have no complaints and it does work....but....Most/all are rail pressure chips at that price...Some people don't like them..Some do...I'd say anything performance related is a risk on a motor with more than 100tho km.

I'd like some opinions on these please.
1. Do they really do what they say they will do?
2. What are the pro's and con's?
3.What about warranty, they mention it wont void warranty?
4. Are they that easy to install and remove?
5. What are the alternatives?
6. Why don't some people like them?

Cheers, Nick.

I bought a chipit about 3 years ago. The original wiring harness was faulty and was replaced by overnight courier.

I also had the chip installed and custom tune loaded by the retailer (included dyne work).

Can't do any of that with an O/S random brand chip.

That being said, if those points don't bother you, then they're possibly a bargain.

Yep true.custom tunes are not available..but they are adjustable. ..well mine is.goes from nothing to very good...has about 20 settings..If I was to get one again I would get the same brand but the digital chip for $330 as it has a gradual increase in rail pressure depending on your foot..where mine is just a flat increase across the Rev range...mines smokes on hard takeoff but nothing on full revs...egts are perfect but I have upped my boost a bit to somewhat match the chip...no Dyno yet tho.

I'd like some opinions on these please.
1. Do they really do what they say they will do?
2. What are the pro's and con's?
3.What about warranty, they mention it wont void warranty?
4. Are they that easy to install and remove?
5. What are the alternatives?
6. Why don't some people like them?

Cheers, Nick.

1...yep
2..There cheap and could be poor quality..could die on the side of the road...just unplug...drive home and send it back
3...everything voids your warranty if they find out.
4...10 mins...3 mins if you leave the plastic engine cover off as I have.
5...chipit. .steinburger. ..dp. ..All are over $1000...
6...these chips a just a box full of resistors..prob $10 in parts including the box..wires...and plugs.A lot of chips just increase the fuel rail pressure so every time your injectors open they get a more atomized fuel and just more off it...This could decrease the life of you fuel pump...($$$$) fuel rail and injectors (more$$$$$)...The only chips that don't do this is the stein and a UK one DTE as they are injector chips

Last edited:
I paid $100 for a tuning box from the UK. Works well. However, I thought, folk say it's not good to put one of these cheapies in your ute, might break it. So I spent $1400 on a Steinbauer. The results are
1. Seat of the pants feel is that the cheapie gives better acceleration and slightly better fuel economy.
2. The Steinbauer gave no acceleration improvement and no fuel usage improvement but there was noticeable power higher in the rev range.
3. However, with both power modules there was improved acceleration and power through the rev range.

Notes.
1. The Cheapie increases rail pressure and gives power lower in the rev range hence better acceleration.
2. The Steinbauer alters the pulse length resulting in power higher up the rev range.
3. With the DPF removed and a 3" pipe from the Cat back one does tend to get a bit of black smoke with both modules just above a mild tune.
4. Winding both back to mild still gave sufficient power, very lttle chuff out the back.
5. interestingly with both modules cranked a little there was also a slight improvement in fuel use.

These cheap chips are electronic trickery that could cause some problems.

They work like this: they tap into the throttle, so they know how much throttle is being applied. If you increase the amount of throttle, the chip increases its effect.

Its effect is to reduce the voltage on the return signal from the rail pressure sensor. The more you put your foot down, the more resistance is applied to the signal - so it's a real-time reduction.

What this does is make the ECU think the rail pressure isn't high enough. The ECU knows how fast you're going, what gear you're in, how many RPM the engine is doing, what the engine load is and what the turbocharger is putting out. With that knowledge, the ECU knows precisely how high to bring the fuel rail pressure to squirt in the exact amount of fuel that it needs to.

It's just trickery. It purely relies on extra fuelling - it does nothing with the turbocharger (like ChipIt) or the timing of the injector impulses (Unichip, by altering the CAS signal).

It also doesn't monitor coolant or EGT pressure, so it is capable of ruining an engine.

1...yep
2..There cheap and could be poor quality..could die on the side of the road...just unplug...drive home and send it back
3...everything voids your warranty if they find out.
4...10 mins...3 mins if you leave the plastic engine cover off as I have.
5...chipit. .steinburger. ..dp. ..All are over $1000...
6...these chips a just a box full of resistors..prob $10 in parts including the box..wires...and plugs.A lot of chips just increase the fuel rail pressure so every time your injectors open they get a more atomized fuel and just more off it...This could decrease the life of you fuel pump...($$$$) fuel rail and injectors (more$$$$$)...The only chips that don't do this is the stein and a UK one DTE as they are injector chips

I bought (about $550 in Aussie money) the local South African import of the German made DTE chip and fitted it, easy as pie, 20 minutes. Problem was there was NO improvement at all either in power or fuel efficiency, then I found out the chip was faulty and the importer replaced it. Seems there is some power improvement now but that's a subjective feeling and unfortunately after 2500 km's no real fuel efficiency improvement, pity because that was the reason we got the chip in the first place.

Hey guys what can I do to get a little more on the speedo like closer to 200km-ish? Feels like my UTE has a speed limiter tho.That's my top end.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389642565172.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389642565172.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 98
Hey guys what can I do to get a little more on the speedo like closer to 200km-ish? Feels like my UTE has a speed limiter tho.That's my top end.

Your options are:
1. NOS - (Seems to work in the Fast & Furious movie franchise).
2. US Surplus Jet Propulsion on tray - noisier than a 3" no cat turbo back.
3. Dismantle the speedo and make up a new sticker for the face that has those numbers a little bit further to the left.

KB

Lol the NOS sounds interesting, the reason why I asked, is that some off the Other ute owner here claims to be going over 200km easy so I thought mines may have a limiter or something.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389661369213.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389661369213.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 71
That pic is just crazy. I wouldn't want to be in a D40 much over 160 no matter how good conditions were.

It's a truck. With a high center of gravity and the aero of a block of flats. Stability would be poor, it wouldn't take much to go wrong at that speed to become part of the scenery.

Second thread this issue's been raised in. Simple fact, the 4-banger won't go much past that, the V6 will - the V6 has more torque and a taller gearing than the yd25.

It's like asking if Mavis's 2850 Torana will stand beside Brockie's XU1 on the podium. Two chances - and they're both worse than a snowball in Calcutta. Both are Toranas and they're absolute worlds apart. The difference between the YD25 and V9X powerplants isn't as wide, but it's obviously enough to give the V9X-powered ute 50km/h more up at the top.

On stability - I've had my car+caravan at 130km/h and she sat like a rocket sled on rails. We do use weight distribution hitches which reduces articulated movement, bouncing and encourages the van to sit "tighter" behind the car. Being a double-axle rig it's inherently more stable anyway - but I should add that I wouldn't take it much faster than that, and only held that speed long enough to try a few things out (like the TCC lockup which didn't disengage at full throttle at 125km/h - it would NOT let go). It's still a block of units, and mine was hauling the garages at the time, so a cross-wind could have been devastating. Thankfully at 7:00am on 27 Dec 2010 as we were bearing down on Erldunda the weather was quite calm.

Imagine a few years ago somone saying that they could tow a van at 130kmph...in a 4x4 ute....and feel safe.thats a good ute.

Latest posts

Back