Canopy fitting / squeaking and tub woes.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottm

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I recently fitted a flexiglass canopy to my 2002 d22 tub by basically sitting the canopy as close to the cab as possible (touching, because this was how I thought I'd seen other fitted) but it has this annoying squeak when going over bumps, cornering etc. just wondering if it should be sitting back a bit from the cab and if so how much gap? Or if it should be as far up as possible what I could use to stop it squeaking? Teflon tape? Armour all? Wd40? (Haven't tried any of those yet thought i'd work out if I should move it first). Photo shows how close it is. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415571246.503509.jpg

Secondary to the canopy thing but related, I recently attempted a UPOL raptor tub liner, after meticulously preparing the surface I applied it and let it harden for 5 days. It ten began to lift and crack because as I discovered my Polar White tub used to be Silver (must have been replaced by previous owner) and it was the White lifting from the silver. Anyhow UPOL felt sorry for me and sent a sale rep out who gave me another kit which was extremely generous of them. But getting the old spray on liner off completely is very time consuming (when it sticks it really sticks) sandblasting was goin to be too expensive so I've just bee. Going at it with a grinder and some flap pads and the occasional wire brush. I've probably got another 3 hours of work to clean and prep surface before I can spray again. You can see below I've still got the whole leg Han side to do....ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415571176.598945.jpg

Just wondering if I should be trying to buy another tub instead? Seen them between $100-$300 given that I may need to redrill the bolt holes for the canopy which would be close to the ones I've already drilled possible weakening that area....

I'm leaning towards just persevering with the tub I've got because picking another up is just more cost and hassle, and with the canopy I feel like it's in the right place because if it was seated further back it would be hanging over the rear too far... Maybe a couple of mm further back would have been wise but can't see how I can fix that now. Must fix the squeak though, it's dementing...

Opinions appreciated, cheers,

-scott

is the canopy actually touching the cab. if it is id be moving it back a bit. dont need a big gap. maybe just loosen the bolts off and see if u can slide it back a bit, even if its only a few mm then tighten em up again

I don't know if you could apply it here but an idea, when I drove Freightliner trucks they always started squeaking before you even turned te key (plastic everywhere) we got alfoil and folded up pieces a few times then jammed it in the area that was squeaking.

As for the liner I would attack with a scrapper and the parts that don't lift with the scrapper should never lift. Like give it a dog or hack every inch or so. Then run over it with a course grade sand paper. A 60 grit or the like. Will roughen it up well then.
Hope that helps.

is the canopy actually touching the cab. if it is id be moving it back a bit. dont need a big gap. maybe just loosen the bolts off and see if u can slide it back a bit, even if its only a few mm then tighten em up again

Yep, it's actually touching, I'll see if there's any play in it but I don't think so.... Will let you know how it goes, thanks for the reply.

I don't know if you could apply it here but an idea, when I drove Freightliner trucks they always started squeaking before you even turned te key (plastic everywhere) we got alfoil and folded up pieces a few times then jammed it in the area that was squeaking.

As for the liner I would attack with a scrapper and the parts that don't lift with the scrapper should never lift. Like give it a dog or hack every inch or so. Then run over it with a course grade sand paper. A 60 grit or the like. Will roughen it up well then.
Hope that helps.

Thanks Sticko, was going to just hack at the bits that lifted but the UPOL rep said that if I respray without removing the first coat it will be very thick in some areas and they can only officially guarantee the product if it is a certain thickness (can't remember what it was). It would probably be fine, but I thought I better do it properly as per recommendations given that they helped out with the replacement kit (essentially saving me $250).

Will see if I can move the thin a few mm back if not I'll definitely try the alfoil!

Cheers,

-Scott

The squeaking will be the canopy rubbing on the back of the cab. You need clearance so the body and tub can move independently of each other. Yoy may have to remove the bolts and file the holes out a tiny bit to get some clearance.

Mines a d40 but I can't see it being much different.
I'd mine was Any forther forward the back window wouldn't shut over the tailgate

Thanks for that Mike, does it hand over much at the back?

If I moved mine back 15 mm it seems like it would be hanging a fair bit. As you can see this is how it lines up at the moment...

View attachment 18365[/QU

if you moved yours back 5mm youd have clearance on the cab and it would still look ok at the back

Yep, think that's a good idea. Will go and have a crack now let you know how I go.

Yeah its definitely too close to the cab. Check the windows aswell they tend to squeek

I tightened up all the bolts on the windows, stopped the noise for a while

Latest posts

Back