Canopy choices

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteV

Reaction score
Hi all,

Planning to invest in a canopy for my 2013 D22 STR long tub. Am on a budget. Any recommendations as to a decent functional one? My specs are as follows - white, not necessarily colour coded. Needs to be strong enough to fit 2 bars and a rooftop tent (requires internal bars accordingly). Got quoted $3K from ARB for the canopy, internal bars and the 2 bars at the top. The tent will be another $1.5k on top of that. Thoughts? Anyone able to offer a cheaper alternative?

I just picked up a "factory second" SMM V2 canopy. They are made from steel the same way car panels are made, this is the link http://sammitr.com.au/ . On a few of the dealer websites I have seen, there are pictures of two grown men standing on the roof of one with a 44 gallon drum between them. They don't require the internal support frames that ABS or fibreglass canopies need to handle any decent weight on the roof. It comes with two roof rails rated to 100kg. The canopy is fully lined and has an internal light and high line brake light.

Original prices for these come in around $3250 fitted (Gearshifters at Redcliffe QLD) but you may find cheaper in Sydney. I own a black 09 Navara and paid $1500 for the one I got. There was one small paint chip, about 2mm x 4mm. The canopy is white and I'm getting it painted black for about $500. Can't fault this type of canopy as it can be hard wired into your central locking system and have the rear door lock when you lock the car. Haven't seen too many for sale second hand but have stopped looking since I got it.

They also do a tradesman style canopy that has a roof rack that replaces the roof rails.

Weight comparison to ABS or fibreglass is only about 10kgs heavier (85kg in total for the SMM), not including the frames required to beef up the carrying capacity of fibreglass and considering the repairability of the steel canopy compared to ABS, it is just a case of taking it to a panel beater.

My two cents worth on it.

Last edited:
This is the canopy after it was painted and the rails were put on. It's all wired in with the rear demister, central locking, brake light and interior light all connected with the supplied wiring loom.

Might just look at getting a better roof rack instead of the rails.

Attachments

• 20150712_105552.jpg
    20150712_105552.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 207
  • 20150712_105722.jpg
    20150712_105722.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 258
Hi all,

Planning to invest in a canopy for my 2013 D22 STR long tub. Am on a budget. Any recommendations as to a decent functional one? My specs are as follows - white, not necessarily colour coded. Needs to be strong enough to fit 2 bars and a rooftop tent (requires internal bars accordingly). Got quoted $3K from ARB for the canopy, internal bars and the 2 bars at the top. The tent will be another $1.5k on top of that. Thoughts? Anyone able to offer a cheaper alternative?

3 years ago, got the ARB Canopy with the internal load bars. All up think it was under the $3k mark from Penrith Off-Road Wearhouse. I searched around on eBay for the correct length Rhoni Heavy Duty Bars - $25. brought the mounting kit from ARB for $60. As said above, all for well below $3k from memory.

Latest posts

Back