buying a d22, need a little advice/guidance

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XKyleX

Reaction score
Hi guys, new to this forum but have been reading a fair bit over the last week or so.

So as the title states im in the market for a d22 dual cab turbo diesel.

I have around 18k to spend and just a few questions to ask.

I will be doing light 4wding and also will be used as my daily.

1. Should I be looking at the 3l or 2.5 I drove both models and for me there is not much between them (im coming from owing import turbos) and this will be my first 4wd

2. How many kms is 'too many' on the clock for these things?

3. Should I buy pre modified or standard (I would like to learn these things by doing them myself) but obviously that will cost me more

Thanks again guys!

hey mate, again welcome. I just purchased my D22 about 3 weeks ago. Much like you i have been driving turbo imports and the likes and building cars for 10years plus

what i looked out for was the standard wear and tear as you would in a normal road car as well as underneath. Look at suspension and what not also. damaged rails etc. Try to fid out about the previous owner

the car i purchased i paid a little more for from a dealer with the following
D22 Dual Cab 08/04 build date
Completely stock STR (top model)
138***ks
ZD30 turbo diesel
only wear i found was on the clutch pedal rubber and slighly around the gear knob/centre console

have a look for some rust on the cab around the back side of the tray and what not also

for 18K budget you will get a great car for it

1. I used to own a 3ltr - they are great engine - so I will say yes on this :)
2. it is diesel engine and as long it is taken care off then it doesnt matter how many ks, however price should reflect to it. Look for something less than 200K for your budget and make sure to have log book
3. up to you really - I like modifying cars since i had my license - so I always buy cars STOCK - however buying modded vehicle saves you $$$$$$

also, with the D22 - the second cab doesnt have much space so if you have tall person in the family (she/he) might not be too comfy sitting in the back seats

great thanks for the info/advice guys, i guess i just gotta keep looking for the right car before i decide and put my hard earned down…anything bad i should look for on the zd30?? i have read a fair bit lately about making sure you get exhaust, egr mod and pyro gauges to monitor it all but haven't heard a great deal about any scary issues to look out for (not at least with the navara zd30)

great thanks for the info/advice guys, i guess i just gotta keep looking for the right car before i decide and put my hard earned down…anything bad i should look for on the zd30?? i have read a fair bit lately about making sure you get exhaust, egr mod and pyro gauges to monitor it all but haven't heard a great deal about any scary issues to look out for (not at least with the navara zd30)

Yeah the zd30 on navaras have different internals than the patrols - so don't worry too much about it.

My str 2005 zd30 d22 was an excellent car - I only sold it as I have to give up on that project. However if I have the chance again ill own another d22

G'day fellas, once a D22 owner, sold her bought something else now looking at going back to one. I'm looking at a 2004 model 3.0L with only 45000 kms on the odo as the owner says it was his third car that he owns. Should I be concerned that the engine hasn't had much of a run since 2004 i.e with the low kilometres? He says he has a full service history to go with it and all. Also is there any way of telling if the speedo has been replaced? Like can a plug-in tool read what the ecu says? Cheers! Jarryd

I don't think the ECU stores total km. as I haven't seen it with ecutalk. I'd be concerned if the car wasn't driven regularly as things tend to rust or seize up if parked up for long periods, gaskets and rubber seals harden and fail to. 45000km is only just run in on a diesel so would be a good buy if it was used regularly. The service book would be your only way to know if the odometer isn't correct.

'

I don't think the ECU stores total km. as I haven't seen it with ecutalk. I'd be concerned if the car wasn't driven regularly as things tend to rust or seize up if parked up for long periods, gaskets and rubber seals harden and fail to. 45000km is only just run in on a diesel so would be a good buy if it was used regularly. The service book would be your only way to know if the odometer isn't correct. '

Yeah that was my concern exactly. He's asking 25,990 as well for it haha which is a bit steep. Ah yeah that's true I could check that. Thanks mate

I would not worry too much about ks on a fully serviced 3ltr zd30 navara , Mines got 270000k on it, almost all with a work trailer and it still goes like new.

I would not worry too much about ks on a fully serviced 3ltr zd30 navara , Mines got 270000k on it, almost all with a work trailer and it still goes like new.
Yeah the k's don't worry me it's the fact that it may have sat dormant for too long and things may have seized up. He claims he drove it one a week but of course wen you're selling a car you'll say anything to make a sale :p

you should be fine mate, Take it for a test drive, do the usual checks and make sure you are happy

Great cars mate. I love mine

where in nsw is it located? If its close i could check it out for you?

Apologies mate he's actually in Queensland haha I got the suburbs mixed up. But thanks heaps for the offer you're too kind! If there is any non-Victorians here that are looking at buying a Nav in Vic let me know I'll happily go and look at it for you :)

Apologies mate he's actually in Queensland haha I got the suburbs mixed up. But thanks heaps for the offer you're too kind! If there is any non-Victorians here that are looking at buying a Nav in Vic let me know I'll happily go and look at it for you :)

haha no probs mate

Latest posts

Back