Buying 03-04 D22, Am after general info

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rallydudeman

Reaction score
Howdy All
Am considering buying an 03-04 D22 Navara, ZD30 Engine.
Was after peoples thoughts and experiences with these models?

Are there any crazy problem items I should know about or should look out for?

What sort of k’s does one get to a tank?

Does anyone know whether a service manual is available for this model..?

I know that these models only come with two speakers located in the front doors. Does anyone know whether two more speakers can be added to the rear doors? I have conflicting stories on this….

Can anyone confirm whether there are child restraint anchorages for the rear seating positions. I know that they are not mandatory for commercial vehicles, just was wondering whether they are fitted?

That’s enough questions for a newbie…

Thanks in advance…

Hey RallyDude,

I bought an 04 D22 a few months ago, although it is the V6, so I can't comment on the ZD30 engine. (V6=STRUGGLING TO GET 480KS TO A TANK :mad: )

These things are nice and strong, original shocks if still fitted would probably be due for replacement, steering stops would be needing new caps or regreasing if you have a full lock metal squeal happening, not a major thing.

You can get online service manuals on CD, well worth it. I only just upgraded the stereo and front speakers in my Nav, after the original fronts kept cutting out. There are covers in the back doors for rear speakers, but you have to run the wiring and get low profile speakers if memory serves me right, (still to do myself).

Not sure about the anchoring points, can't recall seeing them. Someone will add to this and give you more info.

Hoo Roo

Mines a '05, but might be similar

What sort of k’s does one get to a tank?

high 500's to low 600's

Does anyone know whether a service manual is available for this model..?

dave on this site might be able to help ya The Navara Forum - View Profile: Dave

Does anyone know whether two more speakers can be added to the rear doors? I have conflicting stories on this….

I've got the std nissan MY702 head unit. Seems like there is spare plugs in the unit, not that I've done it though

Can anyone confirm whether there are child restraint anchorages for the rear seating positions. I know that they are not mandatory for commercial vehicles, just was wondering whether they are fitted?

If there is I have never found them.

These things are nice and strong, original shocks if still fitted would probably be due for replacement, steering stops would be needing new caps or regreasing if you have a full lock metal squeal happening, not a major thing.

Same here. The steering stops make a horrible noise, but its just noise. Regular greasing at your services will help.

Make sure you change the oil fairly regularly. Most people seem to do it every 5K or so.

Very cable 4wd (even stock) and comfortable to drive everyday

Rallydudeman, mine's a 2003 model, just clicked over 140,000 km. I've regularly got over 600 km from a tank. Best so far is 687 km from 63 litres. So the diesel is quite economical. Ungreased steering stops do make a hell of a racket, but as others have said, a bit of grease will fix it immediately. I've got the standard front only speakers, but intend to upgrade sometime in the next 12 months. Apparently an easy job to get the rear speakers fitted, wiring is possibly already there.

The handiest modification mine has is remote central locking. Costs about $200.

Last edited:
hi rally dude, ive got a 03 dx nav and has been an excellent 4by so far. i get on average about 600kms per tank to about 60 odd litres. the stock suspension is pretty crap so a lift would be one of your first mods, closely followed by a decent set of rubber. i got caught out when buying mine, i know diesels have a bit of a rattle to them but mine seemed a little bit louder than normal when i got mine but didnt take much notice of it. long story short when i fitted the snorkel the noise was greatly amplified and coming up through the snorkel. ended up being the exhaust valves on cylinder had a clearance of about 3 mm. ended up haning to get a top end rebuild costing over 3 g's:cray:. dont wont to scare you mate but just something to look out for so you dont make the same mistake

Latest posts

Back