Best chip for ZD30? What are yas running?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbit-chop

Reaction score
What chips you blokes running on your zd30 d22's and whats the verdict?
Ive been recommended to use a ChipExpress ($600) by a bloke whos used a DP chip and a D-tronic before switching to the cheaper chipexpress and says the others are a waste of money.
Im not sure but its my understanding that the chip express only works the fuel pressure whereas the others do duration as well? Anyway can anyone explain me what parrameters a d22 zd30 can be tuned on and whether the cheaper chip is worth it. Cheers.

Last edited:
if your a zd30 then being mechanical injection there wouldn't be any changes in fuel rail pressure. From my under-standing its a change in fuel delivery, usually via the spill valve at the injector pump.
In saying that i run a chip-it chip, great chip when paired with the EGT modulator, just gives you that piece of mind. They are run of the TPS (throttle position sensor), which means its a bit like a light switch either on or off, this is done to maintain fuel economy. This relatively poor modulation is the only small negative, the rest is great.

Ok, cheers mate. Can i ask how much the chipit set you back? Did it come pretuned? Apparently the chipexpress plugs directly into the fuel pump. I dont know what the significance of that is tho, haha.

The chip set me back about $1200 but that was including the EGT modulator which limits how high my exhaust gases can go which is a must when playing with volatiles. Just be wary with what chip you go for as they are all programmed differently, you want one that is adjustable. Its nice to have plenty of power but don't expect to go up any hills without your exhaust gases reaching very high temps. I've never heard of chipexpress so i cant help you there but in my opinion you cant go wrong with the chipit chip plus modulator. By the chip plugging directly into the fuel pump that would more than likely change the voltage of the fuel pump so it overrides the existing setting thus allowing for greater fuel delivery. Most chips use that process or a similar process, overriding the fuel signal.

Thanks mate for the insight. Iv just ordered the chip express. Its adjustable. Im already running an EGt guage. Been humming and hahing on it for quite a while but it seems they work just as good as any of the other preprogrammed chips on the market bar the unichip or motec. Cant wait to get this in ghe mail. Ill lrt yas know how it goes in about a fortnight.

And as the title says. Zd30 chips. what are yas runnin? Share the love. Come on fellas!

Tunit, sames as a DP, connects to the injector pump and accelerator pedal.Can be programmed to hold the spill gate open longer at different throttle settings which is about all you can do on the ZD30 chip wise.
I had it reprogrammed for $40 after doing some mods. I don't reckon any of the other chips would of been much better or worse.

they all work the same for the ZD30, just open the spill valve longer, should all be relatively safe if you watch your EGT's keep them under 600degrees.

K, thanks fellas. EDIT; is there extra load on the fuel system with a chip that will make anything wear out quicker than normal? Cheers.

Last edited:
Got the chip express today. Landed at front door 2-3 hour ago. Fitted it, goes hard, no lag, heaps more bottom end, havnt noticed any increase in egts. Probly pretty safe to ramp it right up. Clutch is slipping in 4th and 5th now tho, mustve been on its way out and just hanging in there with the stock power till now. So ill have to feather 4th and 5th gears for a while till i can organise new cluthc.
In short; very impressed with the chip so far, very slick product and service. id recommend to anyone with zd30.

I just ordered this chip today. I had never heard of it until a diesel mechanic recommended the brand a few weeks ago. Did a little research and it is easily the best bang for you buck in the way of plug and play chips. Really couldn't find any negatives in any forums on the company as a whole. So I just went for it. Hopefully have it some day next week.

Rabbit-Chop: What have you noticed performance wise? And what's the instal like?

Performance wise, its definitely gotten rid of the low rpm torque black hole, heaps of kick when changing gears, using higher gears than before. Clutch wasnt slipping before i installed it. Was slipping 3rd, 4th and 5th every time i touch the throttle on drive in to work and back this morning, its getting worse. Can only imagine that there would be a fair push in the back now if the clutch was good.
Install was easy once i managed to get at the plug.

Last edited:
same thing happened to me, chips are good at exposing weak or worn clutches.

sounds pretty good, got me interested now.

at least you know that clutch is stuffed, better now than being out the back o bourke

hey rabbit chop, now you've had the chip in for a while how's it going?

what settings does it have? hows fuel consumption? power? egt's? etc etc?
how was installation?

have you got a new clutch yet?

How does the chip express compare to a chip it chip? Sounds like its half the price for same results?! Ive been eyeing off the chip it chip for a while now. Any dyno figures for comparison?

Latest posts

Back