Bad fuel / destroyed motor

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthonyh

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has had experience or recommendation with this.
Just pulled out the motor from the navara to replace after the workshop diagnosed it with a snapped timing chain. On further inspection the injection pump was seized (causing chain to snap) tips burnt off the injectors exhaust manifold and turbo showing signs of extreme heat. The breakdown occurred 20 klms after filling up at a servo in Hay. I have drained the tank as it has a different smell to it.
I believe the contaminated fuel is the cause maybe they put petrol in to the diesel tank at the servo. The injection pump needs the lubrication from diesel and I reckon it didn't have this and seized. Need to get the fuel tested first but not definate on the best way around it all. I have replaced the motor as I already brought one not knowing the real cause of this.
Great to hear from someone who has been down this path or who knows anyone with problems after filling up in hay.

get the fuel tested, if it comes back bad i would still be hitting the servo up for compo anyway, still got you receipt or bank records to prove you got the fuel from there?

bryan

If you have full comp insurance and you can prove the damage was from bad fuel they will cover it.

I have read a number of stories where people have successfully had the repairs covered by their insurance.

After reading a few of those stories i checked with my insurer and at first was told "NO THAT IS NOT COVERED"
I asked to speak to a superviser who then told me "YES you are actually covered under the ACCIDENT section of the policy as it is an accident and will be treated as such"

I would definitely be running it past them and i would also DEFINITELY have a mechanic sign off on confirming that the damage was in fact caused by the fuel, they will more then likely want to see a sample and the assessor will prob talk to the mechanic.

Good luck.
Nathan.

Yeh mate got the receipt with bouser number and proof of being towed. Not sure who can do a reputable test at what cost?

If you have full comp insurance and you can prove the damage was from bad fuel they will cover it.

I have read a number of stories where people have successfully had the repairs covered by their insurance.

After reading a few of those stories i checked with my insurer and at first was told "NO THAT IS NOT COVERED"
I asked to speak to a superviser who then told me "YES you are actually covered under the ACCIDENT section of the policy as it is an accident and will be treated as such"

I would definitely be running it past them and i would also DEFINITELY have a mechanic sign off on confirming that the damage was in fact caused by the fuel, they will more then likely want to see a sample and the assessor will prob talk to the mechanic.

Good luck.
Nathan.

If you still have receipt and the sample let the insurance company do the test, if it is bad they will retrieve their costs from the servo and you will end up with all your repairs covered with out even paying an excess.

Back