ARB Air Compressor Installation

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgladwin

Reaction score
Hi people, first post here yay!

I have just installed an ARB hi flow air compressor in my Nav and just have a few questions the the wiring loom. I pretty much have everything connected except 2 wires, the illumination wire and the power wire (small one). Do you think I can connect the illumination wire to the glove box light so it only illuminates when the headlights are on. And should I just hook the red power wire to the back of a cig plug or cigarette the lighter?

Cheers
Martin

Hi I am about to install one in my new ST where abouts did you fit yours and the switch, just been lazy here to have a look at someone elses , got any pics ?
As for the wire not sure on the draw the illumination would be about as much or as little I would imagine as the glove box light anyway, not sure about the power one (is it the power to the Air Comp switch light?) remember all good air compressors draw direct from the battery not the cig lighter due to the draw you will burn out small wires or the fuse, so how much are you asking the poxy light globe wire to draw ?
best of luck and if there is any advice you can give me I would be interested
cheers
Daz

Hi I am about to install one in my new ST where abouts did you fit yours and the switch, just been lazy here to have a look at someone elses , got any pics ?
As for the wire not sure on the draw the illumination would be about as much or as little I would imagine as the glove box light anyway, not sure about the power one (is it the power to the Air Comp switch light?) remember all good air compressors draw direct from the battery not the cig lighter due to the draw you will burn out small wires or the fuse, so how much are you asking the poxy light globe wire to draw ?
best of luck and if there is any advice you can give me I would be interested
cheers
Daz

Hey mate will grab you some pics tomorrow as I am on my iPhone at the moment. Yeah the illumination wire should be fine to the glove box light I hope. The power wire I was talking about is the small one that goes to the switch. I havnt been able to get it all going yet as I have to install a dual battery system first. Hardest part is getting the bloody mounting plate installed behind the rear bench seat. But anyway will have pics for you tomorrow.
Cheers Martin

Darren
Here is a pic of the unit mounted behind the rear seat on the Passenger side.
I never really though about it but the vent here should give it good air flow now i think of it.
I temporary hooked up the battery wires today and got the unit pumping. Had a leak in one of the joins so just sorted that out and now she is ready for the dual battery setup funds permitting.

Hope this helps.

PS Have also attached a photo of the mounting plate on the outside of the rear firewall. I just put ordinary silicon around it just in case.

Attachments

• PA180905.jpg
    PA180905.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 857
  • PA180906.jpg
    PA180906.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 668
Hey mate

Thanks for that, I am not sure where you put it is really the ideal place, sorry to be a stick in the mud, this is just my thoughts only, and thanks heaps for sharing your position with me.

I would be a little worried about the heat gernerated from this pump and the interior such as the back of the seat and the material that it is resting against.

when it was in the plastic "toolbox" that it came in did you ever run it long enough to pump up 4 tyres and then try to take the hose off :) bloody hot, I think you may be risking a fire hazard with all the trim around and the rear seat up against it.

I am thinking of the obvious place such as the engine bay myself just be careful and monitor the heat mate.

regards
Darren

Thanks mate I understand about the heat and I guess I was sort of hoping it would not be a problem. I am actually going on the advise of ARB as to its location when I purchased it from them at the 4x4 show in Adelaide on the weekend. Will be something I will have to monitor while using.

I never had the plastic toolbox I just bought it as is. I have no idea of the actual heat it generates at this stage but I I'm going to find out.

Thanks for the input Darren appreciated.

Last edited:
Hey mate

Thanks for that, I am not sure where you put it is really the ideal place, sorry to be a stick in the mud, this is just my thoughts only, and thanks heaps for sharing your position with me.

I would be a little worried about the heat gernerated from this pump and the interior such as the back of the seat and the material that it is resting against.

when it was in the plastic "toolbox" that it came in did you ever run it long enough to pump up 4 tyres and then try to take the hose off :) bloody hot, I think you may be risking a fire hazard with all the trim around and the rear seat up against it.

I am thinking of the obvious place such as the engine bay myself just be careful and monitor the heat mate.

regards
Darren

Darren - I've installed my compressor under the front passenger seat and believe me heat is not a problem. In fact I believe that the compressor will have a much longer life in the relatively dust free environment of the cabin. I run is to operate my rear locker and also to pump the tyres. Now been there for a couple of years and had plenty of use during my frequent off road jaunts. Don't have any pics with me as I'm on the road with work but will post when I get home if I remember.
Cheers
Pete

i'm seeing all this and i think it's brilliant. still waiting on the new car (due this week - now they're saying next). but when it gets here i'll be sticking a compressor in it immediately mainly for letting the tyres down on the beach. arb compressor seems the way to go and i want to install it under the seat. can't wait till i can actually give it a go and can contribute something positive to this forum rather than rubbish posts like this one..........

Couple of pics showing my compressor installation. Compressor under the passenger seat and the switches on the centre lower dash.

Attachments

• compressor.JPG
    compressor.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 714
  • centre_dash.JPG
    centre_dash.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 710
Nice one pete. Will look to install mine in a similar fashion.

Judging by your radio, you must be in/around Canberra?

Yep - live in Queanbeyan but have just put the house on the market and hoping to make a sea change in the not too distant future.....looking to move to Ulladulla area on the south coast of NSW.

Hi people, first post here yay!

I have just installed an ARB hi flow air compressor in my Nav and just have a few questions the the wiring loom. I pretty much have everything connected except 2 wires, the illumination wire and the power wire (small one). Do you think I can connect the illumination wire to the glove box light so it only illuminates when the headlights are on. And should I just hook the red power wire to the back of a cig plug or cigarette the lighter?

Cheers
Martin

just like martin here i'm having a little trouble with what to do with the two small wires. i've got a 2010 d40 and was just putting in the spotties and the compressor this weekend. i've got the spotties in just fine but the compressor has me a little stumped. i need to find a spot to run the blue illumination wire and want to know which colour wire behind the ignition that i'm supposed to connect the yellow wire to?

just like martin here i'm having a little trouble with what to do with the two small wires. i've got a 2010 d40 and was just putting in the spotties and the compressor this weekend. i've got the spotties in just fine but the compressor has me a little stumped. i need to find a spot to run the blue illumination wire and want to know which colour wire behind the ignition that i'm supposed to connect the yellow wire to?

I actually ended up running the blue wire to the small globe in the center console ashtray (behind the gear shifter). Was an easy route and couldn't think of anywhere else.
The ignition wire I put to the back of the cig plug.

I have a normal cig plug and an accessory cig plug standard on my d40 on the dash. However the accessory cig plug has power to it all the time even with ignition off so i had to wire to the normal cig plug which only has 12v when the ignition is on.

Hope that helps.

Multimeter works a treat in this instance by the way.

Cheers Martin

ARB put mine on the floor under the rear seat, as I keep it folde up and chuck stuff always in the back is a pretty crappy spot !! Might move it behind the seat like yurs, wiked install I say. heat isnt an issue as how often do you even use it ?

i mounted mine under my passenger front seat, i removed the standard headlight leveling switch and put the compressor switch and air locker switches down there. i picked up my power from the cigarette lighter, pretty sure i got the illumination from there aswell or the ashtray or something

My install behind the rear seat has been working fine to date. Had no problems what so ever.
It does get very hot (after blowing up 4 x 235/70/16's from 16PSI to 38) but i only use it with the seat folder down so it has decent air flow. Could be different when its loaded up and all the gear is in the way and i cant put the seat down but you just take it easy. Who is in a rush when out bush anyway....

When I ran my compressor in the old 60 I replaced the wiring loom with one that could handle 40 amps. 8 gauge from Jaycar by memory.
The origional loom was made with 240v wire which had melted someone got amps and volts mixed up I think :/

The compressor ran twice as fast as there was no restriction in the motors draw of power.
Hence the compressor was faster to inflafe tyres and it did not have to run as long starved of current.

When I ran my compressor in the old 60 I replaced the wiring loom with one that could handle 40 amps. 8 gauge from Jaycar by memory.
The origional loom was made with 240v wire which had melted someone got amps and volts mixed up I think :/

The compressor ran twice as fast as there was no restriction in the motors draw of power.
Hence the compressor was faster to inflafe tyres and it did not have to run as long starved of current.

it would be caused by voltage drop but a valid point, this could also get it to overheat and burnout the windings but still you would think the arb loom that comes with it should be decent size considering its designed for it

this compressor I had was linked to a 5 litre 240v 5 litre air tank. The ARB compressor replaced the 240v job.
I dont have any pics of it but it was really good home job minus the wiring.

the wire will still read 12 volts at the motors input but the current required by the motor will outweigh the wires ability. I guess that excessive draw would in turn drop the voltage but yeah your the mathematician when it comes to amps and volts. lol

General rule to point out for everyones refrence is to always match the unit to be installed with a wire of the same amp rating.
eg: 25 amp fuse on a radio for example should have a power input wire capable of handling 25 amps.
Theres little point installing a 40 amp fuse on wiring that can only handle 25 amp. The wire will decintegrate pretty quickly.
Thats the no1 cause for electrical gremlins. no2 is bad earth.

spot on rick, always have your fuse covering the cabling, thats what its there for. another thing with cabling is that when a cable is running at its maximum (ie. 25amp cable running at 25amps or more) the cable gets hot which creates more resistance in the line and creates a higher current draw and inturn more load on the motor (eg. compressor)

Latest posts

Back