Anyone recognise the red D40?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thankfully I don't recognise any of them. But what a bunch of idiots. All that video needed to top it off is a tow ball shot through a windscreen. Some people realy have no brains

Nice video, can all the minature Hitlers get off their case, we have all made mistakes and done stupid things,"let he who is without sin"

Not the best techniques, but meh they're having fun.

We've done silly things at some stage. Some even voting for Labor and the Greens. Haha.

That Hilux would have had a interesting drive home, thought those 80 Series were going over.

If I was doing those sorts of trips every weekend, Id be in a TJ or JK Jeep Wrangler. Off the show room floor they're the best 4wd offroad. Plenty of aftermarket unbreakable parts available for them.

I'm just glad video in mobile phones and youtube weren't around in the 80's and 90's when we used whatever method possible to get vehicles out of the bog.

There is still a concrete power pole that is on a lean in my old Neighbours bottom paddock from where we got a Cruiser bogged, then got a David Brown bogged trying to get it out and then tried to latch on to the power pole to pull both out. Stupid maybe but **** it we're all still here, power still runs through the pole, we had fun and the place wasn't full of do gooders bagging people out.

Nice video, can all the minature Hitlers get off their case, we have all made mistakes and done stupid things,"let he who is without sin"

Yep mistakes are one thing.....but hopefully someone will see those in the video and maybe learn from them. I have seen the results of using a towball (ie an unrated recovery point) and there is a family in that town that still grieves for their 13 yo son who died as a result of a serious head injury arising from a failed recovery. Sorry if the video offended anyone.

I don't think it's the video that would offend it's the holier than thou attitude (which is not as present in the thread as it is in this and other video comments) shown by some posters that offends people.

Don't agree with the recovery techniques that's for sure, Have heard waaaaaay to many horror stories from tow ball recoveries. A proper rated tow hitch should be a must for everyone and @ $45 it isn't exactly expensive for a little peace of mind.

Brett

Aghh, dude you just vilated Godwin's Law (and in surprisingly little time). Godwin's Law (also known as Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies or Godwin's Law of Nazi Analogies)? Predicts that as a thread on a forum grows longer the probability of someone invoking Hitler or Nazis approaches 1. An extension of the Law also states that the invoker immediately loses any argument or debate AND loses all credibility. Dave does it all the time -- that's why we don't take him seriously :rofl2:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=godwin's law

PS -- just kidding BTW & welcome aboard!

Funny isny it, no matter what hobby or passtime you take up as soon as you join a club it has its leaders and know it alls, "hey mate you cant do that have you read the rule book" ïs that 10mm steel angle rated pal" er it was made by an engineer with 30 years plus experience but it hasnt got a stamp on it and it didnt cost $100 so it not good enough even though it would pull the QE2 along. Unfortunate fact of life that some people just love power and the sound of there own voice.

Aghh, dude you just vilated Godwin's Law (and in surprisingly little time). Godwin's Law (also known as Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies or Godwin's Law of Nazi Analogies)? Predicts that as a thread on a forum grows longer the probability of someone invoking Hitler or Nazis approaches 1. An extension of the Law also states that the invoker immediately loses any argument or debate AND loses all credibility. Dave does it all the time -- that's why we don't take him seriously :rofl2:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=godwin's law

PS -- just kidding BTW & welcome aboard!

And usually the mini Hitler is an ex teacher or lecturer that has never really left school but really knows bugger all. Interesting though.

Certainly putting way too much faith in the front tie point thats for sure
Oh wait he is using his winch as a tow point lol

Here's a question to consider.

The winch is rated to pull (say) 4.3 tonnes (there are the 5.3T winches, but 4.3T is enough for this question).

The winch is mounted on a frame that is supposed to withstand the pull that the winch is capable of.

Towing a vehicle is NOT the same as suspending the vehicle from its winch - so you're NOT pulling a 3T vehicle using even 3T, let alone the 4.3T that the winch (and its mounts) are capable of.

So the question is - knowing all this, why is the winch unsuitable as a tow point, when it can safely get you out of trouble?

I must draw the line at the specific vehicle being towed, and not include the towing vehicle in the discussion, because if the vehicle doing the towing is using a towball to do the towing, that rates firmly alongside Forrest Gump. Enormously stupid, about as sharp as the back end of the axe, but a shitload of entertainment when you can safely watch from a distance.

the reason i was told was if you jerk the strap or shock load off the winch it risk's snapping the pin on the shaft.

Now that's a valid point. Would the shock be enough to do that, knowing that the pin ought to be able to manage a constant load of 4.3T? Shock loadings are higher - avoid them - is that possible? If you were flat towing, you could avoid shock loads by lightly preemptively braking the towed vehicle and maintaining some tension in the winch cable.

Your talking about towing with a winch cable now? I would not like to do that. The amount of pressure that would shock through the cable between the two points would be crazy. Towing with correct equipment with a little stretch in the line is a bad enough jerk on the equipment and the vehicles, let alone using a winch cable with very very little to no stretch.

And usually the mini Hitler is an ex teacher or lecturer that has never really left school but really knows bugger all. Interesting though.

There is something in the old saying about "teachers teach because they can't actually do."

Here's a question to consider.

The winch is rated to pull (say) 4.3 tonnes (there are the 5.3T winches, but 4.3T is enough for this question).

The winch is mounted on a frame that is supposed to withstand the pull that the winch is capable of.

Towing a vehicle is NOT the same as suspending the vehicle from its winch - so you're NOT pulling a 3T vehicle using even 3T, let alone the 4.3T that the winch (and its mounts) are capable of.

So the question is - knowing all this, why is the winch unsuitable as a tow point, when it can safely get you out of trouble?

I must draw the line at the specific vehicle being towed, and not include the towing vehicle in the discussion, because if the vehicle doing the towing is using a towball to do the towing, that rates firmly alongside Forrest Gump. Enormously stupid, about as sharp as the back end of the axe, but a shitload of entertainment when you can safely watch from a distance.

I heard that using a winch to tow or snatch can cause the brake in the winch motor to bind up and stop working, may be food for thought

I had always been told that you never connect a strap to anything but a properly designed tow point .Take the tow bar tongue out and put the strap into the hitch is ok. Never use the tow ball no matter what.
And to whoever it was who thought we were being somewhat harsh well sorry but harden the F*ck up sunshine. I have an opinion and thats my right.Be it right or wrong who cares .
This is the internet and everyone is a legend and a hero

apart from someone hurt by stupidity noone ever suffers ....

Latest posts

Back