Am I stoopid? Oil filter questions

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DHDamo

Reaction score
Hi all, pissed that they don't do oil and filter on my 1k service - 2012 D22 (my brain tell me that getting that first load of oil and junk out is important).

Anyways, have done plenty of oil changes myself before (but not on a Navara) - however, it looks to me as though the Navara filter is in the engine bay (used to accessing them further down) and mounted the opposite way (upside down if you will) to what I'm used to. Next to dipstick right?

I guess I'm just checking that;
a: that's the filter?
b: how do I remove without it dumping its whole contents down the side of the block?

Cheers,

DB

A, yes that's the filter, B, I use oil filter pliers to get mine off (can get them at supercheap etc), there's no way to stop getting oil everywhere really, just degreaser afterwards

Thanks Scooba, just hurts pouring smelly diesel oil over everything.

Already bought a new can of degreaser in preparation.

A, yes that's the filter, B, I use oil filter pliers to get mine off (can get them at supercheap etc), there's no way to stop getting oil everywhere really, just degreaser afterwards

I see you have a TJM sump guard. Also noticed the sump is quite prominent down there. How much do these go for and did you fit yourself?

It's not really necessary anyway. Computerised manufacturing means that the excessive material in the cylinder bores, valve guides and bearing surfaces is almost non-existent.

I see you have a TJM sump guard. Also noticed the sump is quite prominent down there. How much do these go for and did you fit yourself?

It was like $200 or so, can't really remember, I did it myself easy as just used a jack to hold it while I bolted it on, it off a pre 2008 model so I had to weld a piece of Steel plate as the sump hole was in the wrong place, saved my sump heaps of times so far, would have ripped it off by now if I didn't have one

I found if you undone the filter till you could take it off it slowly seeped out and back into the sump pan. Don't pull it off, just unscrew it until you lift it up a tiny bit on the shaft. I hardly drop any doing it this way. I leave the filter on the shaft for about 10mins and ever now and then tilt it back and forth and lift up and back down.

I found if you undone the filter till you could take it off it slowly seeped out and back into the sump pan. Don't pull it off, just unscrew it until you lift it up a tiny bit on the shaft. I hardly drop any doing it this way. I leave the filter on the shaft for about 10mins and ever now and then tilt it back and forth and lift up and back down.

That sounds like the go. Will do that.

Cheers RustyNav09

Could squirt a bit of degreaser or crc around under the filter first, that way the spilt oil would rise off easily. Still feels wrong having filter mounted that way tho hey? Oil pressure is really important and mounting an empty filter doesn't really promote that on startup but what can you do?

It is a stoopid idea having the filter that way.. I find that if you pull it out and hold it like that it stays in the filter it only comes out when you tilt it on its side more.. Rarely get oil over the block but a wash never hurts.. Always pays after the wash and its dry to check for any small leaks etc.. That's how I found my front shaft oil seal to be leaking..

Ok from a mechanic point of view, having the oil filter upside down is the best way. This way when you shut the engine down all the oil run back out of the filter, being oil this doesn't happen instantly. If you want too speed it up you can punch a centre punch (or something sharp lick a sharpened point on an old screwdriver) though the top of the filter to let air in to let the oil drain back to the sump quicker.

Latest posts

Back