Alloy canopy on Alloy tray

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mintie

Reaction score
Hi folks
I am putting an alloy canopy onto a aluminium tray on the back of my King Cab.
Is it advisable to put a rubber mat or some such other layer between the two metal surfaces.
Empty the canopy weighs about 90kg. I am converting it into a camper so it will end up weighing at least 350kg...with shelves, 50 itres of water, gas, fridge, food, battery, sleeping gear, stove, hot water service, eytc etc...

My main concerns are around wear from metal to metal contact and inhbitting movement of the canopy on the tray. The canopy will be anchored to the tray.

Not a bad idea. You dont need it if its fastned properly but id do it either way its easy insurance

Hey mate, if secured properly you wont need to. I have whats sounds like a similar setup to what you are plaining and dont have any issues with wear and tear. I have put rubber matting in the tray but only to stop things from sliding around.

Clarke rubber sell neoprene strip by the metre or roll in various widths and thickness.

It is what I intend to do for my tub canopy for quietness and the inevitable rubbing and grinding from vibrations and dust.

The canopy has arrived and is on! :smile::smile::smile:
I used 5mm rubber matting between the tray and canopy.
Although I have the lift-off legs I have bolted the canopy on as I don't anticipate removing it often. :smile:

I'm very happy with it...and just as importantly so is the missus!

Now comes the fit out.

Attachments

• Cab on 01.jpg
    Cab on 01.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 173
  • Cab on 02.jpg
    Cab on 02.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 193
About $5200, including centre divider, wheel mount, roof rack, ladder and jack-off legs.
Dimensions...1800 wide x 2100 long x 900 high.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back