4wd locking the front wheels

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobjtls

Reaction score
I am a newbie navara/4wd owner having purchased a 2010 model d22. Our aim in buying the navara was to have a rig capable of camper trailer touring around australia. We have done a few short trips and have had a great time.

I have one question re the 4wd system. Can I switch from two wheel mode into 4wd mode whilst moving or do I have to stop, as I need to to go into 4wd lo mode? Also, what happens if I leave the front wheels locked and go into 2wd mode? Does this harm the front wheels/dif?

I read somewhere, an English forum I think that the navara is really only an occasional 4wd rig. Is this true and if so what does it mean?

Bobj

Hey Bob, welcome to the forums. You can change from 2H to 4H on the roll though I personally haven't tried it any faster than about 40km's. Leaving the hubs locked in while in 2H wont hurt it. Yep the Navara is an "occasional" 4WD unlike say the Landcruiser which is a constant 4WD (means much better, if like me you have a broken front diff). It really means you have more control over how your vehicle operates eg. 4L with the front hubs unlocked is extremely handy when towing and reversing a caravan etc. on the black top. If you were to try the same with the hubs locked re:4WD you can bugger things in the transfer case.

Cheers Brad

The 2010 D22 requests that you lock the front hubs and drive in 2WD occasionally. Probably to spread the lubricant around between occasional 4WD uses.

Hey Bob, welcome to the forums. You can change from 2H to 4H on the roll though I personally haven't tried it any faster than about 40km's. Leaving the hubs locked in while in 2H wont hurt it. Yep the Navara is an "occasional" 4WD unlike say the Landcruiser which is a constant 4WD (means much better, if like me you have a broken front diff). It really means you have more control over how your vehicle operates eg. 4L with the front hubs unlocked is extremely handy when towing and reversing a caravan etc. on the black top. If you were to try the same with the hubs locked re:4WD you can bugger things in the transfer case.

Cheers Brad

Brad,

Thanks for your reply. I am confused by your last statement though. What do you mean by towing and reversing a caravan on the black top and then doing his in 4wd with front hubs locked? Do you mean I shouldn't use 4L with hubs locked whilst towing?

Bobj

that exactly what he means, but you can usr 4l with the hubs unlocked for reversing or towing a boat out of the water!

bryan

I tow a camper with my D22. You can tow a trailer in 4L with hubs locked, but NOT on hard surfaces like tar and boat ramps. If it is not dirt, don't do it!

Hey mate don't use 4WD on the black top at all if you can help it or where there is really good traction.

Hey mate don't use 4WD on the black top at all if you can help it or where there is really good traction.

Brad,

For curiosity, why not? Does it cause damage to the navara? Is this a general issue with occasional 4wd? Excuse my ignorance ut I know next to nothing re 4wd'ing

Bobj

I tow a camper with my D22. You can tow a trailer in 4L with hubs locked, but NOT on hard surfaces like tar and boat ramps. If it is not dirt, don't do it!

BJ Navara

Any tips you can provide on camper trailer towing?

Bobj

BJ Navara

Any tips you can provide on camper trailer towing?

Bobj

It's like any 4wd driving, 4L is only for loose surfaces. You need to keep in mind how long you are and that the hitch is the low point when you try to climb something from a flat surface. And if the trailer has no brakes, they like to push really hard on loose downhill runs, so the rule is go real slow. Not a nice sensation on loose dirt to be overtaken by your trailer!
Get an off road hitch so when it all goes to shit, only the trailer rolls over!
Benn there,done that, got the photo!

Brad,

For curiosity, why not? Does it cause damage to the navara? Is this a general issue with occasional 4wd? Excuse my ignorance ut I know next to nothing re 4wd'ing

Bobj

Navaras use the old school system of four wheel drive, not like the constant 4wd of new cruisers and landys etc.
driving with hubs locked in 4wd on hard surfaces doesn't allow the front wheels to turn at different rates on corners and stuff, resulting in diff wind up and snapped shafts.
Only lock them when you get to the dirt. Take a drive up a dirt track in 2wd and note the steering feel, then stop and lock the hubs and drive some more in 4wd.
You should feel the difference in the handling.

Latest posts

Back