4.5l of unleaded in diesel tank

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

her.d22

Reaction score
Yesterday I did the dumbest thing ever...went to fill up fuel, I only ever run it down to a 1/4. Started pumping and realised I was putting in vortex premium unleaded instead of vortex diesel. It was only 4.5l, I stopped...had a cry then rang mechanic before starting it up. He advised to fill the rest up with diesel and when the fuel runs down a bit to keep topping up with diesel to dilute.

This is what happens when you've just finished a 14 hour shift and you're a sleep deprived nurse haha

So what I want to know is there anyone else whos had the some brain fart as me and done the same thing (with only a small amount not a full tank) and what was the outcome?

Cheers (dumb blonde)

Sound advise . 4.5 litres in a full tank should do nothing , maybe an improvement in power , And as he said keep topping up . Idiot's at my work put 60 litres in . Now that needed draining :eek:

G'day
My Son was helping out at a local servo and they have a bowser with diesel on the approach side and petrol on the other. I had a few calls to come down with empty drums. The local rural fire brigade can use contaminated mixed fuel. I know of Diesel Mechanics that have been caught at this bowser.

Sound advise . 4.5 litres in a full tank should do nothing , maybe an improvement in power , And as he said keep topping up . Idiot's at my work put 60 litres in . Now that needed draining :eek:

I did notice an improvement in power. He said it raises octane levels or something? (Didn't take it in what he was saying, was too traumatized). I'm just glad I noticed before filling the whole F'n tank up..

Pretty sure he said it would run hotter? And not to do any high speed driving until it's diluted down a bit. Around town he said it would be fine.

You wont be the first or the last to do that it happens every day. It would of been ideal to tow it and drain the fuel if not started and refill, but that is a small amount any more and you risk injector damage if started. Just drive sedately and don't labour the engine. It will be ok....

G'day
My Son was helping out at a local servo and they have a bowser with diesel on the approach side and petrol on the other. I had a few calls to come down with empty drums. The local rural fire brigade can use contaminated mixed fuel. I know of Diesel Mechanics that have been caught at this bowser.
That happened a few years ago here too.

You wont be the first or the last to do that it happens every day. It would of been ideal to tow it and drain the fuel if not started and refill, but that is a small amount any more and you risk injector damage if started. Just drive sedately and don't labour the engine. It will be ok....

I read something like 150,000 people do it every year. I'm now a statistic....

I knew not to start it. Thats why I rang mechanic first. He said any more and it'd have to be towed to be drained but he said a small amount shouldn't be a problem other than it runs a bit hotter and to fill with diesel to dilute. I eventually need to go on the freeway though so the question is how long until I can do that?

Hard to give a correct answer, do you have a friend with some jerry cans you can siphon some out and replace with fresh diesel?. I have seen this happen twice if it had mechanical injection not a problem with common rail it's more of a worry but if your driving around normally the ulp must be diluted enough. If in doubt seek a more professional opinion that of a dedicated diesel mechanic with c/r experience.:questionmark:

if in doubt add a small amount (say 100ml) of mineral 2 stroke oil to restore lube.

both old style injection and common rail will suffer from increased wear if constantly running with petrol in the diesel. common rail suffers badly. however if you put heaps of petrol in the common rail just won't run at all which can save it.

Hard to give a correct answer, do you have a friend with some jerry cans you can siphon some out and replace with fresh diesel?. I have seen this happen twice if it had mechanical injection not a problem with common rail it's more of a worry but if your driving around normally the ulp must be diluted enough. If in doubt seek a more professional opinion that of a dedicated diesel mechanic with c/r experience.:questionmark:

Nah I don't :(
Yeah common rail can be dodgey in this situation. Still can't believe I did it. After seeking the advice from my mechanic I've done 200 kms and used 1/4 tank and it hasn't skipped a beat. Will keep filling it up to dilute.

Sound advice from your mechanic!!

Just keep dilating it. With 4.5 L
It should correct itself pretty quickly.

The only other thing I can suggest is while driving give a couple of sharp turns left and right to keep stirring your tank up to make sure you burn off the fuel mix.
Even go for 100km drive and then re-top it up.
Hope all goes well for you.
🍻

I've made the exact same mistake at least twice with zero issues.

Marvelling at your own magnificence is the worst part.

I've made the exact same mistake at least twice with zero issues.

Marvelling at your own magnificence is the worst part.
Didn't have any issues whatsoever afterwards. She's going great guns. I try not to fill up when I'm sleep deprived now if I can help it. My mate works at a servo and had a guy fill up with the wrong fuel about 50l and then dump it at the bowser from the tank and refused to pay

Didn't have any issues whatsoever afterwards. She's going great guns. I try not to fill up when I'm sleep deprived now if I can help it. My mate works at a servo and had a guy fill up with the wrong fuel about 50l and then dump it at the bowser from the tank and refused to pay

he shpuld of gone out with a lighter and asked for the money. with 50L of fuel under your car, and an angry attendant with a lighter, he woulda payed up

Back