3.0l vs 2.5l

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete84

Reaction score
how ya going, im looking to buy my first turbo diesel and was wondering if there is a better option between the older 3.0l or the newer 2.5l for towing? i tow a heavy work trailer ever day and any help would be appriciated, cheers.

Neither! I would buy the Landcruiser V8, you need torque! . Or I would steal ScottyBobcats D22 LS1 , but if he caught me he would rip my arms off, stick them in my ears and ride me around like a push bike. :suicide2:

are you thinking auto therefore d40? cause I wouldn't want to tow daily with my d22 2.5 man. There is nothing till about 1600rpm in 1st.

Agree with these guys, nothing wrong with either engine really, but I wouldn't want to live with it every day with a heavy work trailer. You'd probably end up using less fuel going with something with a bit bigger engine like the D40 ST-X550 V6 diesel coming out next year, or maybe a 4.2 patrol, 4.2 TDI6 or 4.5TDV8 cruiser ute.

If you don't need a ute, maybe a newer ST Patrol 3.0L common rail wagon, you can pick them up from the govvy auctions for mid-low $30k's in good condition

I just think you'd be really flogging the ringer out of a 4 cylinder ute, much better to do it with something more suited to the task. Plus it's all the extra stress on the driveline, brakes and just the whole vehicle.

i tow a 3-3.7 t boat (with a d40 td)depending on how much dive gear i put on sometimes exceed 3.5t ooops
with the boat behind she is still faster of the mark than a cruiser wirh nothing behind
got an aftermarket clutch on, as the low down pulling boats out of ramps ruined 2- gotta run the revs high to get it going
further than that it tows amazingly well- on open road at 100 if u put foot to overtake it goes
go have a look at the torque these lil 2.5 put out - you will be surprised
and for when u dont have the trailer on u have a brilliant townie as well

Last edited:
Yeah that's all good to do every now and then, but having owned Triton, Rodeo, D40 navara, D22 Navara - I wouldn't want to be towing a heavy work trailer day-in, day out, every day with them, they will just fall to bits. Hills starts, reversing trailers onto slopy/muddy work sites, driving in peak hour traffic, etc etc. It's not just the engine that has to deal with the weight and regenerated stresses of towing a heavy trailer, it's just about every moving part on the vehicle that is affected, and I just don't think the smaller trucks are built for it.

Don't get me wrong they are brilliant for what they're designed for, but if you're doing heavy work I think you need a heavy truck, if you want to take it easy and look after your vehicle.

I guess if it is just a single axle builder's trailer that will be no probs at all, but if you're talking a big dual axle job with machinery & concretor/brickies gear then that might be pushing it.

Back