285-75-16 or 265-75-16?? Advice from those in the know please.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dull

Reaction score
G'day, I'm nearly due for a set of tyres, and am struggling with the choice between 285's and 265's. They will be BFG km2's.

Going on a 2007 D40 2.5td 6sp manual.

My problem is I tow a jayco eagle off road camper, and all the gear for a family of 4. So I'm concerned that the power loss to the 285's might make it a pig to drive when towing.

BUT, I want the ground clearance as my family and I enjoy going offroad when ever we can.
I'm happy to do a chip and exhaust if that will bring it back to its current drive ability.

So my question is: Am I better off to stick with the 265's for all around drive ability and sacrifice the extra ground clearance offroad, or bite the bullet and get the 285's and hope a chip and exhaust will bring it back to near factory performance?

Thanks Fellas.

A chip and exhaust will be a big help. If you haven't already you will need a decent lift to fit 285s under it, so that's another factor to consider...

welcome to the forum.
Not to be a punish but all this has been covered many many times in the many many threads about tyres and power and if you have a read through the D40 section of the forum you will see that there is multiple threads that will give you a plethora of info.
or you could use the search functions the forum has provided.

I have had two D40's one 126kw and one 140kw the later model was able to handle the bigger tyres quite well and still had loads of power.

The thing you may want to consider is that with the older models people have noticed a loss in braking power.

Also the loss of fuel economy is about 1-2lts per hundred km and maybe more depending on how you drive.

I personally noticed that once i started to run the bigger rubber like the 285/75/16 i broke two diffs doing the same trails as i had done many times before with the 265/75/16

And then there is a slight extra in cost in the tyre itself and you will need to buy five because you will need your spare to be the same diameter.

If you do go for the 285's i have a "sticky" thread in the D40 section on what you will need to do to make them fit.

Thanks for the info guys, I've read your sticky on making them fit. Very informative.
Just about all the threads in regard to 285's are more about making them fit, not so much real life day to day business and how tolerable they are.

So what I gather is that a chip and exhaust will most likely get me back to a point where I'm happy power wise.

Breaking things is another concern. Where these trails extreme? Difficult or just easy stuff where the added weight and traction has aided in highlighting a weak point?

at the time of the actual diff breaking the trails were really nothing at all, but i had been doing harder stuff. As for extreme i really dont think so at all, BUT my idea of hard may be your idea of easy??

Nah, I'm not an extreme 4x4 kinda guy, just like to have as much clearance as possible.
Thanks for your insight.
Cheers.

I have a 2007 2.5 but is fitted with a Steinbauer chip but standard exhaust and i run a 5" lift with bullbar..side rails rear bar ..long range tank..285/75/16 mickey Thompson 4 rib all terrains and i tow a 22ft full caravan and the only time it slows down is up hills but thats any vehicle you tow with...Touch wood i have had no issues in the last 2 years

i would stick with 265.
1. cheaper on fuel
2. legal on nsw not 285
3. no mod to fit
4. speedo is correct to 99% at 100kph its actually doing 99 not like 93-4 with stock tyre
5. no strain on diffs as 285
6. cheaper tyre
7. you going thru all that issue for 15mm lift. not sure if thats worth it imo.

anyway im sure someone can come up with many reason to get 285 but personally went thru this phase before and i decided to stick with 265

When you put it in simple terms (ie: only 15mm more clearance under 285's) I think you might be right, think the smart thing to do is stick with 265's. Then maybe with the chip and exhaust I might feel an increase in power.

To good fellas. Thanks for your help.

265's are easier to get where ever you go as they are the most common size and also have the highest load rating of all sizes.

Latest posts

Back