1st mod on a stock d40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats up for debate, how much is your budget, what do you use the ute for and what do you intend to use it for, work? touring? 4x4ing? towing? ect

Depends on your $$$ and future plans. I'm setting up mine for touring and bush tracks so did uhf, bullbar and winch together then bashplates. Next will be snorkel and lift then one day chip, exhaust then a front locker. I was lucky to have bought my nav with 32" muddies already on it.

I'd be considering what your needs are first, then what your desires are (and these DO change!).

If your intention is to use the vehicle as a daily and to do shopping, then the first mod to spend some coin on will be a dual battery system in the rear with a fridge like an Engel/ARB/Waeco (in that order of preference).

You will soon get sick of the bounce and bump from the standard shocks and suspension and once you replace those, you will wonder why you waited so long to do it (that's how it was for us). The new suspension should give you around 50mm of lift so that you can start considering 4WD tracks.

The first free/cheap mod will be the EGR blank as already suggested.

If you're going to do 4WD tracks, you should think about underbody protection, all-terrain tyres, recovery points/winch/hitch receiver and stock up on bow shackles, get a winch extension, tree protector, equalisation strap - the mix depends on how you approach it (self-recovery or assisted recovery). Water crossings should ALWAYS be done with a wading bra to protect the radiator from debris and the fan itself, which will happily propel itself forward when immersed.

If you don't have a snorkel, put that high on your list - cooler, cleaner air will help the engine.

Better lighting, frontal protection (steel bar, not the cola-can aluminium stuff) and perhaps rear protection should also be considered for outback work, as well as a means of communication - UHF for close-in work (eg convoys, and hand-helds are okay for that) but for true away-from-it-all adventures you'll need a HF rig.

There's also long range fuel tanks, water storage, tyre carriers - oh there's heaps of stuff to spend money on. It's probably a good idea to go out with a few Navara guys on a day trip (happens now and again, look in your state section in this forum) and talk, look, see and touch what they've done.

thanks Gbt, i think I'm going with exactly that... loving the moto "working kills surfing skills"
all i ll have in the back of mine is a tent and a surfboard too...

The toughdog kit I have is awesome and handles epic, I can even get it sideways in the wet and it feels rock soild and sits nice and square. But I have not tried any others so am not sure. It is only about a 40mm lift though, and if I was to do it again I would do 50-60mm if I could because I go down some pretty rocky tracks and the bash plate is copping a few dents. I would recommend a bash plate if you are thinking of doing the same because the sump low point is in a very fragile spot and is prime for a puncture.

I would also highly recommend doing an ECU and fuel reset once you have blocked the EGR pipe. I was amazed with the difference I got.

http://www.blue-print.com/techtip/navara/

There is a pretty good thread on here that is worth a read on the reset too.

yeah i wanna try get 50mm at least.. got the EGR plate in the mail yesterday so i'll put that on this weekend.. its just cash flow stopping me from getting the lift at the moment...

Latest posts

Back