Relacing zd injector pump looking for a second opinion

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Been a while

Reaction score
Howdy forum, after my ute decided to stop ànd after a mountain of reading cleaning checking codes replacing parts I'm diving in!

Yup I've gone the pump removal replace path.... And what I'd like is a second set of eye's from anyone thats gone basketball's deep and done a pump replacement themselves ..

I have done the "page by page " search here but i couldn't find anything on the pump removal "what to do and not" ? So i thought I'd add some picks and ask some questions.
I have read all the manuals i can find, paper and electronic but would still like someone to walk me through it photo by photo if they could?

My first query is, you would lossen all bolts needed to be taken out before you lock the idler gear with a bolt?

Attachments

• 20180703_165712.jpg
    20180703_165712.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 213
follow the manual.
basically strip it down, take off the timing chain cover.
get ALL of the timing marks to line up including the cam marks. that can be a right pain to turn over the engine. i think its something like 26 complete turns to do the timing marks 1 complete rotation.
i used a big socket on the crank.

then lock the idle gear.
then you can take the timing chain off and remove the pump.

Second querry, am i right in thinking the position of the cam doesn't matter at this point? As long as the chain and sprockets are marked along with the pump drive and idler gear ?

Attachments

• 20180712_094300.jpg
    20180712_094300.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 201
afaik its fine to do it that way. mark the chain and both sprockets. make sure you use different markings.

i just found it easier to deal with (as i was taking head off) using the factory marks. that way you know the cams are all lined up correctly as well. it was just a bit of insurance.
in particular i found that the injection guy had put the chain on 180 degrees out. it didn't change the timing, just made things difficult because the factory marks didn't line up.

edit i would make sure the injection pump marks line up. that way if you mark on the injection pulley is cleaned off you can still get it back on correctly.

afaik its fine to do it that way. mark the chain and both sprockets. make sure you use different markings.

i just found it easier to deal with (as i was taking head off) using the factory marks. that way you know the cams are all lined up correctly as well. it was just a bit of insurance.
in particular i found that the injection guy had put the chain on 180 degrees out. it didn't change the timing, just made things difficult because the factory marks didn't line up.

edit i would make sure the injection pump marks line up. that way if you mark on the injection pulley is cleaned off you can still get it back on correctly.

Yes good point, i have new chain and sprockets to go on. So howwww many revolutions you say lol ill pull the glows eh lol but it's worth getting all aligned.. so when i do get all marks lined up the locking bolt for the idler gear should be at it's port so to speak?

the injection pump timing gear will line up and the bolt fit.
its just a matter of getting the cam timings to line up as well. its probably not necessary but its easier when you go to put it back together. you know all the cams are in the right place etc.

Thats how i will keep the bottom sproket and chain lined up lol the sprocket has an alignment pin on the pump gear..

Attachments

• 20180712_161837.jpg
    20180712_161837.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 214
Got to the stages of glow plugs out and turning her over and got called away.. i did manage to get it turned over a few times and got the c and c-c to line up but the chain and sprocket markings are out?? Tuesday before i can get to her again.. grrr
Plenty of time for another manual read ;)

Attachments

• 20180714_101842.jpg
    20180714_101842.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 200
I will be following too. I wil be doing this myself in a few weeks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Following with interest. Im no help to you unfortunately but appreciate all your pics and steps. Cheers fella

Nooo problem :) in the manual they class it as a minnor mechanical job ! Once you work out what needs to be done it is an easy job, just lots of removal to get to what you need to get too..

I will be following too. I wil be doing this myself in a few weeks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Howdy, sorry to read that bloke! For me there is nothing worse than ripping down a motor that once worked perfectly fine ! And all the other issues i have found whilst code chasing!
Maybe we should start ringing diesel places and see what price we can get on two pumps lol anyone else want to jump in on a group buy ;))
Danm you Bosch ....

Ok well it's Thursday not Tuesday but I'm giving it another go.. ok when i first managed to get the c and c c to line up the cam chain and sprockets markings did not.
Wound her over untill the c and c c lined up agian but still out on the chain and sproket marks?

Soooo is easier "since i will do the oil pump" just to line everything up from scratch once the gear cover is off ?

Attachments

• 20180719_120004.jpg
    20180719_120004.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 57
C and c c are lined up on my fith try but no luck on the timing chain and sprocket. She is getting a new chain and sprockets so I'll leave it at that and paint dot just incase...
Locking bolt in, time to get this pump out...

Big paint dots lol and cable tie the bottom.. This is what i would do if i was going to use the same chain and sprockets..

Attachments

• 20180719_123838.jpg
    20180719_123838.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Unless it dropped i could see no keyway no pin? ? I'm thinking it's a sight hole only for alignment... dont know where i read be careful of keyway? Do crd have a pin?? Anyway she is out..

Attachments

• 20180719_125655.jpg
    20180719_125655.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Soooo this could be the Bosch pump issue lol

Attachments

• 20180719_131914.jpg
    20180719_131914.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 127
Those wires go to the lower section of the pump! No idea of what they control but it's cost 1000$$$ to find and fix... danmmmyouuuBosch.. it all looks replaceable eh ?

Attachments

• 20180719_131903.jpg
    20180719_131903.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 78

Latest posts

Back