Go Back   The Navara Forum > General Discussions > Camping Gear

Aldi fridge.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:55 PM

Default Aldi fridge.

Just bought one as a 2nd car fridge. Seems OK so far. Looks identical to a Waeco CF40. Got the fridge, baskets & cover for $499. More to follow.................
Sponsored Links

Old 06-04-2017, 01:06 PM

My Mood:
Garage

Gee that sounds like great value! Will be interested to see how long it lasts and power draw, though I imagine they will only stock them for a short while. What is the warranty like?

Old 06-04-2017, 08:54 PM
Administrator

My Mood:
Garage

It's a Secop (Danfoss) BD35 compressor so that part's reliable and power consumption is typically around 4A when cycling. We bought one during early summer and have been using it as a freezer while the 60L Engel spends its life as a fridge. When you live 50km from the nearest large chain food store and your days are 40+, you need something to keep frozen stuff frozen!

And that it did. Performs flawlessly. Worth every cent. I have a small issue with ciggy plugs falling out but that's easy enough to fix by changing them over to Andersons. I set the freezer's digital temperature control to -20 and let it go - it always brings the stuff home in a nicely frozen state no matter the heat of the day.

Check out the FAQs by clicking here!

"Money can't buy happiness, but it does make misery a lot easier to deal with."

Old 07-04-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogieboots View Post
Gee that sounds like great value! Will be interested to see how long it lasts and power draw, though I imagine they will only stock them for a short while. What is the warranty like?
They have the power draw as 4.4amps, but I reckon that's on the max cool down mode.

2 years warranty.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old.Tony View Post
It's a Secop (Danfoss) BD35 compressor so that part's reliable and power consumption is typically around 4A when cycling. We bought one during early summer and have been using it as a freezer while the 60L Engel spends its life as a fridge. When you live 50km from the nearest large chain food store and your days are 40+, you need something to keep frozen stuff frozen!

And that it did. Performs flawlessly. Worth every cent. I have a small issue with ciggy plugs falling out but that's easy enough to fix by changing them over to Andersons. I set the freezer's digital temperature control to -20 and let it go - it always brings the stuff home in a nicely frozen state no matter the heat of the day.
Music to my ears Tony! :)

An Anderson will go on the 12V cord soon like yours. I plug our other fridge into a battery box via an Anderson & it works well.

I think ours will get used as a freezer on some trips too.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:20 AM

OK, 20 months on here's a quick summary;

It does use more power than our other fridge does.

North of the tropic of Capricorn, it actually failed in the car, in the heat (40c+) We've owned 4 car fridges & have never had a fridge do that before. It had the beers in it at the time, so nothing was spoiled. Got it going again with a re-boot.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:35 AM
Administrator

My Mood:
Garage

Two years for ours, used as a freezer most of the time and it only gives us grief when the battery gets low but that's not the fridge's fault.

It may soon see some use as a fridge in my bike trailer. I've got 4x 35Ah AGM batteries to put in the bottom and that should last me a while, if I can nab a solar panel and charge controller I'll be right for a few days on the bike.

Check out the FAQs by clicking here!

"Money can't buy happiness, but it does make misery a lot easier to deal with."