D40 Diesel 2.5 Timing Chains

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roscoe07

Reaction score
I notice in the service booklet that it says "Replace timing BELT for camshaft and injector pump at 100,000Km". I am pretty sure looking at the engine diagrams in the Service manual that these engines have two chains, a primary from the crank to the diesel pump and a secondary from the diesel pump to the cams.

So is it normal practice to replace these chains at the 100k service or not? I would think thats a very expensive service if correct.

Last edited:
I'd have to ask my service manager about that one. We've only gotten to 76,000km so far - no personal experience on it yet, but thought some sort of reply might attract others who might know. Bump!

twin chain and bottom chain is the one to wory about,not upto job as its single chain driving alsorts aswell as driving the double chain for cams so it stretches,plenty on uk forum on this i can get a link if needed

i called nissan about the same thing manual says replace timing belt nissan tells me car has chain not belt and is good for life of car im not a beliver

chains, unless faulty, will last longer than 100k easy....

the biggest problem, and it isnt just with nissans, is the tensioners are shit and cause all the problems

one fella on uk forum was told his chain was knackered due to "excesive soot in oil" despite full nissan service history using there very exspensive low soot oil

I would normally say that a chain should last the life of the engine. Mine is clicking when hot which makes me think it may be the tensioner. Seems to come from the primary chain area. Will ring Nissan and see what they say.. Not hopeful but maybe they do it cheaper if not under warranty.

chains, unless faulty, will last longer than 100k easy....

the biggest problem, and it isnt just with nissans, is the tensioners are shit and cause all the problems

Hah hah, my 88 GSXR 750 had a spring loaded tensioner that was cactus and the chain was beyond service limit. I ended up boring it out to 813cc, lightened the crank, port and polish etc etc. The cam chain has since been replaced, but after much $$$, mods, and HP gains. I now run an APE manual tensioner to keep the wife (and bank balance) happy.

Is there a manual tensioner option for Navaras by any chance?

Just an update on my Timing chains. have had a call from Local Dealer to say that Nissan are replacing chain kit under warranty. A big thank you to Nissan Australia.

The car has 126k on it so well out of warranty.

Maybe a few tips to others who have a genuine warranty complaint.

I started about a week ago and rang the Dealer. They quoted $3300.00 to put in a kit. Primary Chain/Gears/tensioners etc.

I then rang Nissan Australia and asked if they could do something. they arranged for me to attend the dealer to diagnose the problem. I did that and heard nothing for a week and then get a phone call this morning to arrange the booking in of the car.

It all was very smooth and i am grateful to nissan.

I think the key here is if you have a genuine, known problem and you are polite and honest and helpful then it can be worked out. You catch more with honey than vinegar. Thats my theory and i am very happy. I will post again when job complete.

Maybe Nissan hired the bloke, who sorted all the big end bearing problems out in the Toyota 1HDT.

Bout time they owned up to known problems.

I am nearly up for my 100k service and was wondering about replacing the chains, as per the book. I rang Main North Nissan in Adelaide and was told it is not neccessary. i hope theyre right as I don't want to splash the cash.

Question is, would you replace them or not???

I would say that its not necessary. I have heard that the problem is not with all engines but some. It would be very expensive to replace the chains considering the price i was quoted for the primary only. At the first sign of a rattle or a knock i would be on the phone tho. I only hope that the replacement chain is of better quality than the original.

Just got the car back after surgery on the timing chain. They replaced the primary chain and I presume the gears and tensioners. They said the secondary was fine and did not need replacing.
The car now is as quiet as when new. Its strange not to have that noise.

A very big thank you to Nissan Australia and Cleveland Nissan for a smooth operation.
I even got a new Micra ST to drive for the two days. Great little roller skate.

Last edited:
Sorry for resurrecting this topic!

I looked at the UK site mentioned above, and from the pics plus an email I received from them, it seems that Navaras have a single row timing chain, or at least in the UK. Not sure if this is for both primary and secondary.

However, all my Pathfinder shop manuals indicate the YD25 motor has double row or duplex chains for both.

I can't readily believe the motors are different between Navaras and Pathfinders.

Maybe the timing chain "kit" simply involves fitting the Pathfinder version to the Navara.
Is anyone able to confirm?

Last edited:
I don't know the answer but don't feel bad for resurrecting the topic.

That's much better than having multiple threads about the same topic and of course the issue is obviously still relevant.

I downloaded a manual for my D40 and it clearly shows a single row primary and a double row secondary. I think it would be unusual that the same engine was different between the Navara and Pathfinder. But stranger things have happened.

Hah hah, my 88 GSXR 750 had a spring loaded tensioner that was cactus and the chain was beyond service limit. I ended up boring it out to 813cc, lightened the crank, port and polish etc etc. The cam chain has since been replaced, but after much $$$, mods, and HP gains. I now run an APE manual tensioner to keep the wife (and bank balance) happy.

Is there a manual tensioner option for Navaras by any chance?

i doubt it...re the manual tensioner

bike cam chains/tensioners are even 10 times more notorious for failure,

yeah, but i bet your GSXR revs just a little bit more than the Nav diesel engine.....

go on ...tell us your redline????

and how many row chain was it/

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back