Go Back   The Navara Forum > D40 > D40 Engine

Old 18-01-2019, 12:24 PM
Administrator

My Mood:
Garage

Your car will boost just accelerating on flat ground. It will boost a little more up a hill, but when you reach the crest, you will have to back off, and that might cause an overboost, so flat ground is best. Changing gears is fine, but maybe short-shift for the test (change at lower than usual rpm) so the turbo doesn't go berserk as the load comes off the motor.

What you want to see is that it will boost and continue boosting longer than it would have with the BCS involved. This clearly identifies the BCS as the culprit - mine failed twice, I bought the Tilix valve as a result and haven't looked back.

Still, there may yet be a problem with your turbocharger (hope not), vac hoses (probably not) or vacuum pump (very unlikely). Do the test, see what happens, next step comes afterwards.

You could also remove the hose from the front of the turbocharger and wiggle the shaft that the impeller sits on. You shouldn't get any movement.

If you DO get movement, it may be the turbocharger that's letting go, and there's a mob in Qld that sell genuine Honeywell Garrett 2056V turbos for about $1500 delivered. I strongly recommend those guys, I'll get the details if your turbo is suspect - but let's examine that BCS first.

Check out the FAQs by clicking here!

"Money can't buy happiness, but it does make misery a lot easier to deal with."
Sponsored Links

Old 18-01-2019, 02:07 PM

Ok got it now Tony. Many thanks once again.

Iíll do the test and report back - I knew cable tying the vac hoses on the bcs wasnít a smart move. Will have to chop one of em off to do the test :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 19-01-2019, 10:51 AM
Administrator

My Mood:
Garage

I'm a bit surprised at the need, I found the hoses really hung on well to all of the connections, and when they didn't, it was because new hose was needed.

Check out the FAQs by clicking here!

"Money can't buy happiness, but it does make misery a lot easier to deal with."

Old 13-02-2019, 10:55 PM

Iíve had some health issues so havenít done the tests yet. Will report back once Iíve been able to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk