ZD30 10W40 vs 15W40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tay

Reaction score
After a lot of reading it seems some people run 15W although Nissan strongly recommend a 10W oil.

I understand the oils need to be ACEA 83 or JASO DH1 certified and that CG oil must never be used. Also semi-synthetic oil is the way to go for the ZD30.

I have also read that 15W oils have made some people notice that the engine has a louder idle at startup and that the 15W could be too thick for the turbo, and once you change to the 15W oil even changing back to the 10W the noise can still be there.

Living in a colder climate near the snow in Victoria, I'm worried the 15W40 such as Delo 400 instead of a 10W40 such as Castrol Magnatec 10W40 could be too thick on startup for the turbo and the engine and maybe I would be better sticking with a 10W.

Buying Delo 400 in 20L drums works out cheaper, and I would be more inclined to do 5k oil changes. Also I'm aware Nissan now recommend 5k oil changes for "harsh use" and 10k for "normal use".

So would I be better of running 10W40 for 10k, 15W40 for 5k?

the problem is most diesel oils are 15w-40. kind of an industry standard.
from what i saw in the manual nissan changed the spec to 5w-30.

15w is ok as thats only relevant while the engine is cold. but if your doing a lot of 5-10min trips then a 10w or 5w would be better as it flows more oil while cold and those small trips means the engine is never fully hot.

Thanks guys, might stick with a lower viscosity oil for now due to being a colder climate and short trips

Latest posts

Back