YD25 coolant thermometer question

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GCD22

Reaction score
I’m new to Navaras & want to look after this old banger.
Does the thermometer in the instrument cluster show the true state of the coolant temperature, or is it like Land Rover & some Mazdas, where it sits in the middle of the gauge right until the head gasket blows?
Just wondering if it’s a good idea to fit a proper gauge or an engine saver. If so, what does everyone recommend please?

I use a bluetooth OBD2 (ELM327-compliant) dongle and the Android "Torque" app. Works with my 2009 D40, not sure if it'll work with your D22. Total cost is under $20.

I did find that my coolant gauge does move slightly, but since I never let my coolant exceed 105-106C I don't know what it's like when it's cooking itself, but you can just tell that it's moved a tiny bit at that point.

I use a bluetooth OBD2 (ELM327-compliant) dongle and the Android "Torque" app. Works with my 2009 D40, not sure if it'll work with your D22. Total cost is under $20.

I did find that my coolant gauge does move slightly, but since I never let my coolant exceed 105-106C I don't know what it's like when it's cooking itself, but you can just tell that it's moved a tiny bit at that point.
Thanks Tony, that’s a weight off my mind and your solution sounds like a good one, I’ll look into it. 👍

or is it like Land Rover & some Mazdas, where it sits in the middle of the gauge right until the head gasket blows?
most are idiot gauges. the work car i'm using at the mo is the first one i've ever driven that actually has a decent temp gauge.
the whole reason for the idiot gauges is idiots would panic when they see the temp going up as they go up a hill and then complain to the dealers about the car overheating.

most are idiot gauges. the work car i'm using at the mo is the first one i've ever driven that actually has a decent temp gauge.
the whole reason for the idiot gauges is idiots would panic when they see the temp going up as they go up a hill and then complain to the dealers about the car overheating.
😂

Yep, that’s the reasoning.
Unfortunately though, Land Rover Discovery gauges don’t move until it’s too late, it’s a well known ‘Disco thing’.
And from personal experience Mazda Tributes have the same flaw.

I’m thinking that Tony’s solution is an excellent idea, especially if the software can be set to provide an alarm at a given coolant temperature.

It may even be worth replacing the stereo with one of those fancy touch screen ones to provide an interface. 🤔

😂

Yep, that’s the reasoning.
Unfortunately though, Land Rover Discovery gauges don’t move until it’s too late, it’s a well known ‘Disco thing’.
And from personal experience Mazda Tributes have the same flaw.

I’m thinking that Tony’s solution is an excellent idea, especially if the software can be set to provide an alarm at a given coolant temperature.

It may even be worth replacing the stereo with one of those fancy touch screen ones to provide an interface. 🤔
toyota is the same. gauge reads hot after the engine blows up.

Latest posts

Back