Navara D22 Torque Converter

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

placidarc

Reaction score
Hi.
I have a 2002 D22 V6 dual fuel automatic Navara. I am having a problem with the lock up torque converter. It keeps locking then unlocking. Is there an easy fix. I am not averse to disconnecting or disabling the lock up part. Is this feasible.
Regards.
Mike

The 2008-2009 D40s also suffered this, but at such a frequency that it was felt as a vibration from 75km/h up to 95km/h at which point the TCC would remain locked.

Locking the TCC has value - it saves fuel because you're not wasting engine revs, so fixing it should be the priority - although that's far easier to say or type than to do!

In the D40s I believe the clutch itself was hesitant to engage, possibly because of a machining fault that caused the clutch to not engage as easily as it should (like a sticky door lock). At higher speeds the TCC engagement becomes more insistent and finally happens.

With yours, it might be varnish/debris in the TCC, because I assume that it's worked fine for years. You won't have a sealed box, it would be quite valuable to drop the tranny oil and check it for fragments, then pop the TC out and inspect it. It's a fair bit of work, but it will save you between 300 and 500rpm depending on speed and load. It will add up over time!

Lock up torque converter

Hi Old Tony.
Thanks for swift reply. To start I will drain and refill oil as this seems the easiest. If no improvement I will go to the next stage. Is it not feasible to disconnect the lock up part.
regards.
Mike

Sure it's feasible to do. Thing is, the lockup prevents the TC from slipping, saving you hundreds of RPM and thus quite a bit of fuel at cruise. You really do want a TC that can lock - so much so, that later model Navaras will lock their TCs in several gears, not just top!

Sure it's feasible to do. Thing is, the lockup prevents the TC from slipping, saving you hundreds of RPM and thus quite a bit of fuel at cruise. You really do want a TC that can lock - so much so, that later model Navaras will lock their TCs in several gears, not just top!

Thanks for that. I will not be pursuing that course of action.
Regards.
Mike

Navara Torque Converter

Hi Everybody.
It's been awhile since I started this thread so thought I would bring it up to date. Before I started trying to fix the problem I had another one. One morning the car would not start and after trying for a while I called the RACT. The chap they sent from the local garage had no luck so he trucked it back to his workshop. it was returned within the hour working perfectly. The problem was that the spark plugs were completely fouled up. They were cleaned which not only solved the non starting problem but also the torque converter one as well. Who would have thought it. Anyway thanks for all your replies.
Regards.
Mike

Latest posts

Back